Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

humming with truck off..

Old 04-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
UncleFrancis is on a distinguished road

UncleFrancis's Tacoma Gallery
humming with truck off..

The other day I was messing around in the garage and heard a faint buzzing sound. Started looking around and couldnt find it.
This afternoon I was in the garage again and I heard the buzzing sound again. Sounds like a small electric motor running. I opened the garage door to see if the neighbors were doing something that was maybe vibrating somethin in my garage. After walking around the garage and not being able to pin point anything. I look at my truck and think to my self.. "I guess ill check" so as I get underneith it its clearly the truck. Above the rear of the gas tank close to the frame crossmember there is a big black box that vibrates (haha no pun intended) now im not real firmiliar with these trucks. the lines and hoses coming off it seem to go to the fuel tank. Is the fuel pump on the outside of the tank on these?? And why is it running? It runs for about 5 minutes and quits and has not done it since. the truck was cold and hadnt been driven or even had a key put in the ignition for about 4 hours. So im going to keep an eye on this as ill be spending some time working on a wood project in the garage for a few days. Anyone else come across something like this. It runs and shuts off on its own so I dont assume theres a short or anything.. Taco is brand new maybe something crazy that ive never heard of??
Old 04-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
It's something to do with the gas evap system I believe
Old 04-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
Evap emissions purge pump. It pulls the vapors collected by the charcoal canister and pumps it back to the fuel tank. It also runs an evaporative emissions test at the same time.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

wild. How often does it do this?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, I double checked my facts. The noise you are hearing is actually only an air pump to pressurize the fuel tank to perform the leak-down test that I mentioned earlier (it will throw a CEL code if the pressure is lost too quickly). Purging of the canister will occur while the vehicle is running.

So anyway, it should perform the test after every few hours of engine run time. But as you noticed it needs to have cooled off before the test will be accurate.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #6

Interesting. Well its news to me, at least its normal ha. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleFrancis View Post
Interesting. Well its news to me, at least its normal ha. Thanks for the info.
Both my '13 Taco and the wife's '12 RAV4 do it. Sometimes I'll go out to the garage to do something and both of them will be humming along. The manual says it's normal.