Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Drive Shaft Blew Up!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #61
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
check the pinion and transmission bearings, then give the fellas at olivers custom driveshafts, (google it, theyre in winston salem NC) a call and have them build you a quality one piece one if you want at the fraction of a woody's price (tom woods)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #62
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't know you had to grease the ujoint.

The following pics are of the broken ujoint from my 06 prerunner at 95k back in June 2011.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=2da96e3cea
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=345115c7af
Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #64
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
So....Why the hell did you tow the damn thing?

Next time pop out the drive line put in 4x4 and drive away.
These guys with the broken shafts are Pre-runners which have non greaseable u-joints. Both of which you have apparently missed while reading through this thread.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #65
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Guilty.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #66
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Bad U joint was your vibration. I had one going bad & the floor vibrated bad on the interstate. I had mine fixed before it dropped.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #67
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
These guys with the broken shafts are Pre-runners which have non greaseable u-joints. Both of which you have apparently missed while reading through this thread.
now im confused so my u-joints are NOT greasable?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #68
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
2wd 05-13 Tacoma's (The 65x65mm is the one that fits). Here is a link to his site. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DriveshaftSpacer.shtml

I run the 1.25 spacer since my truck is lifted 4" in rear so you should probably be ok with just a 1". Also I would recommend a beefed taco carrier bearing drop bracket.

http://stores.streetacos.com/-strse-...ion/Detail.bok

add these along w a new carrier bearing, u joints and your yoke and you should be golden.
thanks man this is extremely helpful!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #69
Running For Mayor of TW

thanks everyone! now to get to work!!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #70
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
No, but it does pay to check them every once in a while. Sealed u-joints (the type that come stock on pre-runners, such as yours) aren't ment to last much over 100K. I would start keeping an eye on them at around 70K
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #71
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Just because your stock u joints were sealed doesn't mean the replacements have to be. When I had mine replaced they used greaseable spicers (my choice). I spent 80 bucks to have all three installed. Now at every oil change I give them a few pumps of grease.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #72
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Oh.....So......Its one of them half assed trucks?

No I did not really read much here just wanted to toss in my 3 cents.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #73
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Some trucks were not greasable & some were. My 2005 2wd did not have grease fittings on the ujoints.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #74
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
No, but it does pay to check them every once in a while. Sealed u-joints (the type that come stock on pre-runners, such as yours) aren't ment to last much over 100K. I would start keeping an eye on them at around 70K
That's messed up that they don't last but about 100k. Mine broke at 95k. Good to know that I will have to fork over $1200 to get a new one at about 200k. Right now I am at 119k.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #75
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmccoy007 View Post
That's messed up that they don't last but about 100k. Mine broke at 95k. Good to know that I will have to fork over $1200 to get a new one at about 200k. Right now I am at 119k.
$1200!!!???? Holy crap! Before they break, go to a driveline shop and have them replace the u-joints for probably less them $300 (if the take it all apart and put together), unless of course you can replace the joints yourself then probably only cost you $50. Oh and go with greasable ones next, so you won't have to replace them again if they are greased regularly.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #76
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery

No offense, OP...but how the hell do you NOT at least take it in to have that sound checked out?!? I blew the rear U-joint last week and drove it for 4 days with the most agonizing clicking/tapping sound from under the truck only under load, and I was scared to death of this happening until I got the time to change it out. Now you need a new shaft, and all the U-joints need to be replaced because when one goes out like that, the others will follow.

Also greased all the zerks from front to back, they were pretty dry.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #78
Running For Mayor of TW

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post

No offense, OP...but how the hell do you NOT at least take it in to have that sound checked out?!? I blew the rear U-joint last week and drove it for 4 days with the most agonizing clicking/tapping sound from under the truck only under load, and I was scared to death of this happening until I got the time to change it out. Now you need a new shaft, and all the U-joints need to be replaced because when one goes out like that, the others will follow.

Also greased all the zerks from front to back, they were pretty dry.
i really didnt think too much about it i thought it was part of having a higher mileage truck and i honestly thought it was my exhaust. especially since im busy with work school and my now 5 month old boy i really didnt have the time and when i did all i did was sleep, homework, or play with my son. but now i know
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #79
Running For Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Did this vibration develop after lift ??
no the vibration developed a little after i put my exhaust on and thats what i thought it was but then recently there would be a knock between 5-15mph and so i thougt...meh... then recently the knock was between 5-15 and 50-60 and 80+ so ithought well these tires probably need to be rebalanced and shit so thats what i did and then the day before and the day that it blew out it was really loud and under a quick lane change it blew
Old 04-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #80
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It is always best to look and see if they are or not. My 2012 has Zirk Fittings for grease on the U-Joints from the factory.

So I would say some do some don't.