Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Drive Shaft Blew Up!

Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #81
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so is it recommended that you have spacers installed at or above a certain lift height?? I have 2" in the rear are spacers needed before anything bad happens??
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #82
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubi1414 View Post
Ok so is it recommended that you have spacers installed at or above a certain lift height?? I have 2" in the rear are spacers needed before anything bad happens??
If you driveshaft yoke is seated in the transmission then no , But if like the op's picture then yes you should or spend extra money for a longer driveshaft. You can see in the picture on the left how it should be and on right how not.
Attached Thumbnails
Drive Shaft Blew Up!-1b42bb27-2da8-4afb-a822-5321882196b2-5963-000002fa404442fc.jpg   Drive Shaft Blew Up!-40db3fa2-4352-4a5f-a180-458f3d79cef9-2737-0000012f06eb0275.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #83
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaubi1414 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind I see from your pic. Thanks. So I take it your referring to the pic where it has about an inch or so of the yoke not inside the transmission? Im not to familiar with the driveshaft stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
If you driveshaft yoke is seated in the transmission then no , But if like the op's picture then yes you should
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #85
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
$1200!!!???? Holy crap! Before they break, go to a driveline shop and have them replace the u-joints for probably less them $300 (if the take it all apart and put together), unless of course you can replace the joints yourself then probably only cost you $50. Oh and go with greasable ones next, so you won't have to replace them again if they are greased regularly.
Mine was covered under the Toyota extended warranty. Not sure what they installed. Can you tell by looking at it if it's greasable one or not?

Edit: I didn't pay $1200 as it was covered under warranty. I just happened to look at how much it cost. I only paid a $50 deductable.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #86
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmccoy007 View Post
Mine was covered under the Toyota extended warranty. Not sure what they installed. Can you tell by looking at it if it's greasable one or not?

Edit: I didn't pay $1200 as it was covered under warranty. I just happened to look at how much it cost. I only paid a $50 deductable.
Then you def. dodged a bullet....
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #87
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yep!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #88
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
So I ran into yet another problem! The yoke on the propeller shaft that's on the transmission needs to be replaced but I need a part number and can't seem to find it. Help please?! The dealership wants $878 for the whole propeller shaft and yoke but I just need the yoke
Old 04-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #89
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
go to your local driveshaft place and they can probably find you an aftermarket yoke at 1/10 the price.

Howard
Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #90
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm trying to find the part number but no luck
Old 04-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #91
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
dude.... that must have scared the shit out of you when it happened
Old 04-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #92
Running For Mayor of TW

yeah i thought it was my exhaust at first until i pulled over and was like....oh shit this is about to get expensive...

BANG BRAAHBABBAHBABHBA
Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #93
Running For Mayor of TW

bump
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #94
Bruceleeroy30 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ed
Bruceleeroy30's Tacoma Gallery
Man.... This is scary! I just installed an AP Expo leaf pack in the rear two weeks ago, and also noticed my yoke and CB looked like this (sorry for the iphone pics):

I also don't have any weight in the back so I'm netting 4". I guess I'll try to load up the bed with some weight and break in the leafs (bringing it down to 3"). Maybe that will move the drive line forward a bit?

Is this incredibly unsafe?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #95
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
ujoints.... Check em y'all!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #96
Bruceleeroy30 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ed
Bruceleeroy30's Tacoma Gallery
I've been checking the u-joints, they look pretty good, and there's no play when I try to twist sections opposite directions.

60k on the truck. Reading through this thread and seeing they're really only good for 100k, some going bad at 75k? That sucks. Def going to get some greasable ones in the future. I opened a can of worms!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #97
drtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dru
drtydru's Tacoma Gallery
I put a 1.5 AAL on the rear with some new taller billies and coilovers upfront over a year ago. I have noticed a strange vibe/noise at highway speeds (over 55). The sound only occurs when I let my foot off the gas. If I re-apply light pressure to the gas pedal, the sound goes away.

Anyone else experience this? And Ill be under the truck bright and early with a bucket of grease!!

Also, I have an 08 4x4 regular cab. Greaseable U-Joints? Ive never even checked this shit out. Im a bad owner
Old 07-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #98
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Check the u joints even if you have a Prerunner. My 2012 has jerk fittings in the u joints.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #99
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
if had it balanced from the start do you think this could've been prevented?
No. Your asking a lot of a Ujoint to run at that great an angle it most likely was telling you for a long time it was going to fail.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #100
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceleeroy30 View Post
I've been checking the u-joints, they look pretty good, and there's no play when I try to twist sections opposite directions.

60k on the truck. Reading through this thread and seeing they're really only good for 100k, some going bad at 75k? That sucks. Def going to get some greasable ones in the future. I opened a can of worms!
100 on the street....

I've had mine in since I for my truck, at 150. I'm now at 213. I should do mine.