Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Drive Shaft Blew Up!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Drive Shaft Blew Up!

so i had my truck lifted last summer and my trucks driveshaft pretty much just exploded. i've been driving with a rattle and vibration but i figured it was my exhaust because the welding seemed.....sketchy.

Anyways im sure im not the only one the drive shaft blew up on so how did you guys fix it? how do you keep from this happening again??

PLEASE HELP!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
so i had my truck lifted last summer and my trucks driveshaft pretty much just exploded. i've been driving with a rattle and vibration but i figured it was my exhaust because the welding seemed.....sketchy.

Anyways im sure im not the only one the drive shaft blew up on so how did you guys fix it? how do you keep from this happening again??

PLEASE HELP!

That could be your vibration issue
Old 04-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah i realize now that this was my vibration and rattling issue lol
Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
You could either order a Tom Woods custom drive shaft and not have to worry about vibe issues and your drive shaft exploding. Or get one from a junkyard and have a driveline shop balance it and change out the u-joints.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Running For Mayor of TW

if had it balanced from the start do you think this could've been prevented?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
mother trucker...hows your transmission?!?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
It was balanced. You just need to grease the u-joint more often. Its does not matter how expensive a drive line is if you don't grease the u-joints it will explode.

So next time you hear a rattle check your u-joints next time.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
05-11 PreRunners have sealed u-joints, no grease zerks I believe.

But none the less, the noise should have been looked at before hand.
(not bashing you OP, just sayin)

How many miles on the truck?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
well that blows........had that happen on my old heep. driving them BAM!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That could be your vibration issue
Always the helpful one...

Is the front end of the shaft damaged or was it just the u-joint that broke? If it was just the u-joint that shaft might be salvageable. U-joints are only $20-$30.

Although looking at the pic, it looks like it broke the u-joint at the tranny and the carrier bearing in the center... I'm surprised both would go at once...
Old 04-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
Running For Mayor of TW

dang wish i would've known! the transmission was burnin up when i finally got her home (we towed) the smell was fantastic lol
Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #13
Running For Mayor of TW

im not too sure it broke during sunset and i was more concerned about getting out of traffic but will check and post more detailed pictures tomorrow
Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

dang wish i would've known! the transmission was burnin up when i finally got her home (we towed) the smell was fantastic lol
Why was the tranny burning up? Don't want to make you just to conclusions with what I am thinking now, but... You drive line is disconnected so towing should not have affected the transmission...
Old 04-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
Running For Mayor of TW

not sure maybe i was just assuming the smell was the transmission.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
I'd also recommend that you install some sort of driveshaft loop in the form of a limit strap etc, to prevent the truck from "pogo-ing" if it happens again.

Not much to do at this point but rebuild it, and keep up on the greasing.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #17
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Were you on a trailer? Or was someone dragging you behind them with a tow strap?

If its the latter, could be your brakes that you we smelling if you were stopping both vehicles with your braking.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
You cant buff that out.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
Running For Mayor of TW

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/376056_10151636957850229_1088502683_n.jpghttps://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/408723_10151636957940229_667679490_n.jpg
Old 04-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
Running For Mayor of TW

My Poor Baby