LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why should I not get an fj?

Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Not a truck, no room for tools and such. Don't like the FJ's interior. Visability blows for a trail vehicle.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #23
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
the mian thing that killed the FJ for me was, only the driver, and passenger windows go down. out here, it gets pretty dam hot, and I like being able to lower windows to reduce the inside temp before I turn on the AC.

no offense... seriously. but I don't think I've ever heard of a worse argument. ever. for anything.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The rear doors of the Jeep are a little hard to get out of. That being said, your comments are almost exactly why I chose the Jeep over the FJ.
jeep? you mean the vehicle you'll be lucky to make it to 90K miles without it falling apart (I've owned two, my family had three others - and my buddy owns a dealership... so don't even try me )??? I love them (love convertibles, and the idea of them, etc.) - just wish they weren't so poorly made (not to mention so expensive).
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #25
sirwillysc is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
sirwillysc's Tacoma Gallery
I've driven jeep after jeep and can't stand them. They bare extremely uncomfortable. As far as dogs 2pits and a staff should fit fine in rear area not sure why there would be an issue? Cement Gray looks sweet imo I also though about white but TT for 13 is only gray I think.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
Toyoman65
Toyoman65 is on a distinguished road

Army: Mp
Name: Anthony
Toyoman65's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2008 fj and loved it its a cool truck but I gave it up for a crewmax tundra for the family I get just about the same mileage in my Tacoma as I did in my fj it was a fun maneuverable truck that got a lot of attention I would say its a hard decision because the taco and the fj are both very capable so it boils down to preference good luck.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #27
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Reasons you shouldn't get one:
1. You already have a 2013 Tacoma
2. Rear seat space downgrade.
3. Worse mpg. Just go to fjcruiserforum and listen to all those complainers about mpg. To be expected considering the windows is at a higher angle and so aerodynamics suck.
4. People used to bring up the issue of fender bulges and cracking/tears. Problem has been lessened significantly I believe with Toyota reinforcing them a bit now.
5. Unless it's a generously wheeled or outdoor utilized vehicle I wouldn't buy one.
6. Someone posted in here earlier about getting good mpg on 285 and 3 inch lift...and I'd say that must be under optimal conditions because general consensus in fjcruiserforum forum says otherwise once modded.

Why you should get it:
1. Aesthetics are very unique and say "offroad vehicle"
2. Great approach/departure angles
3. Interior trunk space

Those are the big pros and cons I could think of and if I was in your situation I'd forget the allure of a brand new fj and just spend my money on a tonneau cover and call it a day.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
The main thing I meant to add is that since you said you only have a couple reasons you can think of to get one is it really worth it? Do you really need it and will it accomplish what you need it to way better than your tacoma? If the answer to that question is yes youd be better off going over to fjcruiserforum and browsing their information to further confirm your decision. Not to mention also give a few a test drive.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #29
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
you should get an fj. i would.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
3. Worse mpg. Just go to fjcruiserforum and listen to all those complainers about mpg. To be expected considering the windows is at a higher angle and so aerodynamics suck.
4. People used to bring up the issue of fender bulges and cracking/tears. Problem has been lessened significantly I believe with Toyota reinforcing them a bit now.
5. Unless it's a generously wheeled or outdoor utilized vehicle I wouldn't buy one.
6. Someone posted in here earlier about getting good mpg on 285 and 3 inch lift...and I'd say that must be under optimal conditions because general consensus in fjcruiserforum forum says otherwise once modded.

Why you should get it:
3. Interior trunk space

Those are the big pros and cons I could think of and if I was in your situation I'd forget the allure of a brand new fj and just spend my money on a tonneau cover and call it a day.
Great points. I do plan to wheel a good bit as well as be outdoors. I will more than likely be trading in the taco at some point this yr either for another taco or the FJ either way. Building my credit I have found that trading in in 6-10 months is a better option then re fi and when u drive a truck that barely depreciates why not?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
As shallow as it sounds, I can't get past the 3rd windshield wiper. It reminds me of the 3-eyed fish in "The Simpsons" opener.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #32
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
My dad owns one, yes they are amazing off road but the second you want to put bikes or a snowboards in it they become a 2 or 3 seater which sucks!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #33
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post

Why you should get it:
3. Interior trunk space

Also, blind spots/ visibility sucks.. Which unfortunately brings it down a level for off-roading
Old 04-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiveOn View Post
My dad owns one, yes they are amazing off road but the second you want to put bikes or a snowboards in it they become a 2 or 3 seater which sucks!
That's what I'm afraid of. Is it very difficult to put toys in the back right now I have 1bike but about to get another.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #35
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
The issues with the rear seats (suicide doors, windows do not roll down, etc.) killed it for me.

So I bought as 4Runner Trail Edition, which is real nice with none of these issues, except it is... ...boring. So I am looking at dumping it for a 2013 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited...
Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #36
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinAthens View Post
Try a 4Runner Trail Edition instead.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnyla View Post
The issues with the rear seats (suicide doors, windows do not roll down, etc.) killed it for me.

So I bought as 4Runner Trail Edition, which is real nice with none of these issues, except it is... ...boring. So I am looking at dumping it for a 2013 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited...
Boring? What do you find boring? If anything its too many off roading options IMO.

I thought about an FJ briefly. They are cool although the doors don't do it for me. We went with a Trail 4 runner. I still get a boner every time I look at this thing...

Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #37
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4RUNNER View Post
Yes

Boring? What do you find boring? If anything its too many off roading options IMO.

It is too "nice". I can't bring myself to wheel it like my Tacoma.

Attached Thumbnails
Why should I not get an fj?-jb7b0100-.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #38
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnyla View Post
It is too "nice". I can't bring myself to wheel it like my Tacoma.
I agree. We wheeled it the first month we got it but its been my wife's dd and a garage queen other than that.

The silver trail Is bad ass looking man. I was torn between black and silver.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #39
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You should get an FJ. If I didn't have my taco I would have an FJ.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #40
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
As shallow as it sounds, I can't get past the 3rd windshield wiper. It reminds me of the 3-eyed fish in "The Simpsons" opener.
Wow I've honestly never noticed that. And I've probably seen a thousand of them.