Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why should I not get an fj?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #41
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
I vote 4Runner.

Why should I not get an fj?-image-3763105047.jpg
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #42
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
As shallow as it sounds, I can't get past the 3rd windshield wiper. It reminds me of the 3-eyed fish in "The Simpsons" opener.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueitrgsr View Post
Wow I've honestly never noticed that. And I've probably seen a thousand of them.
Holy Shit! It totally does look the 3-eyed fish. Also never noticed it. Wiper blades replacement would be too expensive...deal breaker
Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #43
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4RUNNER View Post
Wiper blades replacement would be too expensive...deal breaker
I concur. Three wiper inserts AND fixed rear windows?

OP, I've never beem part of the New Car Every Year Club, so your quandary is foreign to me. I'd find a way to suffer with my months old truck a little longer.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #45
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Running Daily View Post
I vote 4Runner.

Attachment 208477
Am I missing something here...?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #46
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
My next vehicle will likely be an FJ. I looked at the 4Runner because it just seems so much more practical (and they finally look good again!), but I was completely underwhelmed by the interior. The rugged looks of the FJ interior is where it's at for me. I think if you can wrap your head around it's..."quirks"...you'll be a happy dude.

Just offhand, anyone know if there is any difference in the mileage between FJs and the newer 4Runners?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #47
BS1981 is on a distinguished road

EMS: Onsite Medical, Amazon.com
Name: Greg
BS1981's Tacoma Gallery
I just traded in my 07 FJ yesterday for a Tacoma. As far as the MPG goes, leave it stock, and be easy on the gas, I would get around 20 mpg based on what my ultra gauge and basic at the pump math told me. The FJ was one of my favorite vehicles to drive, other than my 03 tacoma. My wife ended up getting a brand new prius at work, so I had my 05 Chevy 2500HD and my FJ at home, and barely drove the truck, and my FJ was high in miles. So I traded both in, to get the best of both worlds. The FJ is tight on space ( I have 2 kids in car seats), so to haul them, my wife and I and some stuff to camp was near impossible. It would be packed and loaded. As far as offroad, they are great. I enjoyed wheeling in it. The 3 windshield wipers are kinda weird, I will also admit. They are also in 2 different sizes, driver side is 14", the middle and pass are 16", so finding a 14" was difficult and it did get expensive as well for a good wiper, cause of the shape of the windshield, no ordinary wiper would really work well. I liked the interior just based on the fact I have 2 a-hole kids that spill shit everywhere, so clean up was nice. The kids also complained on hot days that it was too hot, even with the AC cranked, it didnt get as cold back there for them. Visibility was ok, my seat had the issue where it would sink down over time, so seeing over the door was sometimes difficult, and I am 6'4". Also, to see a stop light was difficult for me being so tall, I would have to duck my head down to see the stop signals at times as well.

With all of that being said, The FJ is suitable IMO for certain folks, based on their needs. For me, I needed more room for my kids shit, and them since they're getting bigger. When my wife changes jobs, or stops working to stay at home, she has already asked to get an FJ then...hopefully the kids will be bigger and not complain as much. Hope this helps with your decision.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #48
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BS1981 View Post
...I have 2 a-hole kids that spill shit everywhere, so clean up was nice.
Dude...I lol'd so fucking hard!

On a more serious note (not that shit-spilling offspring isn't a serious matter...), how manageable was it for you and your wife to get car seats in/out of the back? The FJ is pretty much the only vehicle the wife and I can agree on...hahaha!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #49
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
We had an FJ.loved the look,hated the blind spots,no room in back seats for teenagers on up,gas mileage sucked. As soon as ya let off gas it'd down shift,no free wheelin coastin. Wasn't for us.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #50
BS1981 is on a distinguished road

EMS: Onsite Medical, Amazon.com
Name: Greg
BS1981's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Dude...I lol'd so fucking hard!

On a more serious note (not that shit-spilling offspring isn't a serious matter...), how manageable was it for you and your wife to get car seats in/out of the back? The FJ is pretty much the only vehicle the wife and I can agree on...hahaha!

LOL, glad I could get a laugh outta you...As far as car seats, the kids are in the larger seat type, so they were basically locked into the FJ, but when I had to take them out to transfer them to another vehicle, it was kinda a PITA. We didnt have the FJ when the kids were in the baby car seats.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #51
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
I vote 4 runner if you don't need the bed of a Tacoma! They look really good and can be really cool for off roading.

In all honesty, I'm kinda surprised the FJ even has a back seat. If anything, they should have tried jump seats facing each other and had the back seat passengers just climb in through the tail gate.. That would have been more true to its heritage. Not that the DOT would agree.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #52
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
I have both an FJ and a Taco. I love both. If you want more room and dont need a bed, the FJ is a capable beast thats loads of fun and great looking.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #53
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted one, but I drove it back to back with my wife's Xterra Pro4X.
The FJ had some major problems for me, poor visibility from drivers seat (both out the front and the sides/rear). I really wish they would have just done an updated FJ40. Top off would have been sweet.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 AM   #54
sirwillysc is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
sirwillysc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw113sgte View Post
I wanted one, but I drove it back to back with my wife's Xterra Pro4X.
The FJ had some major problems for me, poor visibility from drivers seat (both out the front and the sides/rear). I really wish they would have just done an updated FJ40. Top off would have been sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Because LMFAO at the FJ vs Taco when it comes to hoop bumpers.

Looks like a nerdy fat evil scientist

vs.

DUDE that taco looks SICK!!! For some reason I feel that the new body style does not look as good with the bumpers maybe its the options out or maybe I havent seen the right bumper but THAT ONE!!!! WOW
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #55
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwillysc View Post
4runner has longer wheel base and is higher.
So-?-? Does not make it any less capable, idk about the new ones, but the 4Runner made a name for itself with off road capability long time ago. They are awesome rigs, I'd rather have a Runner than a FJ just for the room, also V8 option...
Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #56
WeberSarge is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Kevin
WeberSarge's Tacoma Gallery
I remember being at the Chicago Auto Show when the new FJ Cruiser was shown , talked to the rep for around an hour and watched people walk up to it - shake their head, and promptly walk away . The visibility issue is a joke , fuel mileage - joke , suicide rear doors - joke , wtf ?

Honestly, to make one of those half as capable as my '77 40 series the FJ would get lower fuel mileage than the 40 . Not to mention , it will never last as long nor is built half as tough as the original.

Wanna really piss off a '40 owner ? Call it an FJ....
Sarge
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #57
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
ive got 16 reasons

but really, if you dont use it as a truck very often, i'd get an FJ
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #58
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4RUNNER View Post
Holy Shit! It totally does look the 3-eyed fish. Also never noticed it. Wiper blades replacement would be too expensive...deal breaker

Honestly if the price of wipers is a deal breaker, you cant afford any Toyota anyway.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #59
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
We had an FJ.loved the look,hated the blind spots,no room in back seats for teenagers on up,gas mileage sucked. As soon as ya let off gas it'd down shift,no free wheelin coastin. Wasn't for us.
My taco does that! I have to go into neutral to coast, It acts like it's trying to slow me down when I let off the gas.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #60
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Just has a couple of others have said, I like the FJ but I need to have a bed.