Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why should I not get an fj?

Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #101
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
the back seat is beyond a joke unless the front passengers move their fronts seats up quite a bit. I measured... just over 4 inches of space for your legs (space between the back seat and front seat) when the front seat is in it's normal position. the numbers don't lie. sadly, all Toyota had to do was make the back seat adjustable so it would slide back a bit. Just a horrible, horrible design. It's by far the top problem I have with it. It seems it's really meant to be a two seater (for all practical purposes since there's so little space behind the back seat) that can carry more if needed. Only my access cab has less space for passengers...
I call BS. unless the seat if over half way back there is a lot more then 4” of space. i can sit behind my buddy who is, 5’10” and i am fin. and there is still more then 4” of space for legs and feet. so idk how or where you are getting this from.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #102
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
I call BS. unless the seat if over half way back there is a lot more then 4” of space. i can sit behind my buddy who is, 5’10” and i am fin. and there is still more then 4” of space for legs and feet. so idk how or where you are getting this from.
Seating measurements are posted on edmunds.com and other sites. The rear seat area of the FJ is considerably tighter than a DC Tacoma; no doubt about that. As for the 4" measurement, a reclined front seat eats up a lot of back seat leg room, and may explain how they got that result.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #103
TaComa41 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ian
TaComa41's Tacoma Gallery
Manual in AWD only???

Because the only way to get the 6 speed manual is if you get it with All Wheel Drive. Where's the fun in that???
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #104
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
call bs all you want. my tape measure doesn't lie.

hard to know what you're saying... when I had the passengers seat back in the normal sitting position i'd be in, I made the measurement. Yes, IF you move the seat forward (where it wouldn't normally be for me), then you'll have more room. there was more leg room in my 2001 DC by far for the rear passengers.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #105
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaComa41 View Post
Because the only way to get the 6 speed manual is if you get it with All Wheel Drive. Where's the fun in that???
you don't know fun if you need to push a lever all around while you drive.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #106
sirwillysc is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
sirwillysc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #107
PinkTaco24 is on a distinguished road
PinkTaco24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
To the OP - I only posted in this thread because I just got back from hauling 300 lbs of dirt and 2 giant shrubs to the city compost dump. No way could I go without a truck as a homeowner. If the wife wanted an SUV, I'd point her at a 4Runner first but I wouldn't veto an FJ.
This.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #109
TaComa41 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ian
TaComa41's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ha. Once you get used to heel toe driving from racing cars it's a hard habit to break.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #110
Trail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud of

Name: Jon
Trail Squirrel's Tacoma Gallery
There's no contest between a 4runner and an FJ on the trail. 4runner for groceries, FJ for trail.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #111
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Squirrel View Post
There's no contest between a 4runner and an FJ on the trail. 4runner for groceries, FJ for trail.
Bullshit

Stock trail aside from chromoly safety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50wbRveoKwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iODiwajTRBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzk6rbD1ok
Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #112
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Well AWD lacks the 2 speed transfer case thus making it great for wet or icey roads but lousy for off road. It doesnt give the low gear power of a 4x4 that you need to climb rocks or get out of deep mud. So AWD is great for a mall crawler in the great white north but just doesnt cut it for the off road community.
What?
You hit the center diff lock button and put it into 4-low. It gives the exact same capabilities. Look at the Land Cruisers.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #113
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Not to mention how crappy the mpg's must be running in AWD all the time.
False. Look under your taco, the front shafts spin all the time. Also, people have made 2wd kits for the AWD Land Cruisers. No change in gas mileage.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #115
FJ 432 is on a distinguished road
FJ 432's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2007 FJC with 118k miles. Automatic tranny that always gave me 19mpg combined driving. Now my wife's snow car.

I now drive a 2012 DCSB Tacoma. Automatic with 12k miles. Mileage is the same. The tacoma has a little better rear leg room but it's not a noticeable improvement over the FJC. The motor is definitely not as spunky as the FJC. I miss that.

The blind spots are always a point of contention with the FJC but my Tacoma isn't stellar with the rear seat headrests. That's why god invented mirrors.

Get what makes you happy, the cement FJC is the color I would choose.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #116
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Front shaft does not spin under load unless the transfer case engages it.
The drive axles always spin with the front wheels, since there's no way to unlock them from the hubs. I believe that's what he meant.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #117
Trail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud ofTrail Squirrel has much to be proud of

Name: Jon
Trail Squirrel's Tacoma Gallery
Ahh difference of opinion, I pretty much only do little forest trails, which definitely sways my opinion to a shorter wheelbase. That's why I got my lil trail rig. Nothing against 4runners, they're the best looking one of their vehicles IMO.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #118
sirwillysc is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
sirwillysc's Tacoma Gallery
Man those bids made me kinda want a TT 4runner but too high
Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #119
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Squirrel View Post
Ahh difference of opinion, I pretty much only do little forest trails, which definitely sways my opinion to a shorter wheelbase. That's why I got my lil trail rig. Nothing against 4runners, they're the best looking one of their vehicles IMO.
Yea I pretty much think anything between 4R, fj, tacoma you can't go wrong. All very capable off road. Your right difference in taste