Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why should I not get an fj?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
sirwillysc is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
sirwillysc's Tacoma Gallery
Why should I not get an fj?

I know this has probably been beet to death but we have a TT copy meant gray FJ at the dealer and my love affair with these unique machines! I also have found a couple reasons that I feel the FJ would better suit me, I have three dogs that would love to run the roads and trails with me and the FJ would make that a lot easier. I also feel that the FJ would be more comfy with my larger frame. My concerns are I don't have day to day experience with them. So that where I need some help. I don't tow anything. The only thing that ever goes in the bed is my mountain bike and the weekly 1 trip to the dump which I made in my Yukon b4 the taco. I know about the blind spot and smaller back seat but I have to drive one for an extended amt of time to see if I can deal with the blind spots and I won't be riding in the back. So am I missing anything and will I be making a big mistake if I trade my taco?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
the mian thing that killed the FJ for me was, only the driver, and passenger windows go down. out here, it gets pretty dam hot, and I like being able to lower windows to reduce the inside temp before I turn on the AC.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
No bed or I'd be rocking one right now. I use my 'truck' too often to drive anything else.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
I really like the fj but was disappointed after test driving it. It has alot less room than I thought in the rear, was difficult to get in and out of the back seat, and seemed to be more gutless than my taco. I still really want one though...
Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2007 Voodoo Blue FJ loved...only got rid of it because of my 100 mile per day commute...

Miss it!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskal311 View Post
No bed or I'd be rocking one right now. I use my 'truck' too often to drive anything else.
This for me as well.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
TacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant future

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
I havent personally had a Fj just my Taco but at good friend of mine had one (he also had a taco) and said the MPG was bad. I know i know the mpg isnt good with the 1GR but he said thats the only thing he did not like with his. 14 to 16 was his MPG it was also stock with stock AT tires, also he is older so he wasnt running it hard. I have also though of a Fj myself. Good luck with it.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Student / Vol. FF
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaG26 View Post
I havent personally had a Fj just my Taco but at good friend of mine had one (he also had a taco) and said the MPG was bad. I know i know the mpg isnt good with the 1GR but he said thats the only thing he did not like with his. 14 to 16 was his MPG it was also stock with stock AT tires, also he is older so he wasnt running it hard. I have also though of a Fj myself. Good luck with it.

Matt
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
TACOMA31750
1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed1rooster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1rooster's Tacoma Gallery
I use to have one myself. many advantages over the tacoma but also some disadvantages. cheaper feeling interior, slightly decreased gas mileage (not by much), less rear leg room, and on the 2007 models you wasnt able to turn off the traction control. HATED not being able to turn it off when wanted.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
dont mean to hate...but I find them UGLY!!!!!!and especially hate the airline windows in the rear.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaG26 View Post
Our fj gets the same if not a little bit better mileage than our taco. Both 2010's, 4x4s, with 3" lift and 285s.

the fj is our vehicle of choice for hauling the dog, it is perfect for that. Everything is water resistant and makes for easy cleanup. He also has his own space in the back. (100 lb Rhodesian ridgeback)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #12
EdinAthens is on a distinguished road
Name: Ed
EdinAthens's Tacoma Gallery
Try a 4Runner Trail Edition instead.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
sirwillysc is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
sirwillysc's Tacoma Gallery
4runner has longer wheel base and is higher.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
ugly interior and blind spots.

I personally cannot get past the interior.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
I love my mom's FJ. It's looks good, gets the same mileage as any other SUV or truck with the same features, I think the interior looks great and not cheap, it's very quick for looking so unaerodynamic, and as for the blind spots they aren't that big of a deal. The first time I drove it I got used to it within the first 10 minutes or so. It just seems bad at first.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
I hate the faggity ass rear doors. Unless your stuck with the T brand try/check out a jeep.

They should have done it right and made a removable top. And should have done regular rear doors.
The rear doors of the Jeep are a little hard to get out of. That being said, your comments are almost exactly why I chose the Jeep over the FJ.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
Our fj gets the same if not a little bit better mileage than our taco. Both 2010's, 4x4s, with 3" lift and 285s.

the fj is our vehicle of choice for hauling the dog, it is perfect for that. Everything is water resistant and makes for easy cleanup. He also has his own space in the back. (100 lb Rhodesian ridgeback)
Damn ! 100lb dog . Big shits!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #20
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
try sitting in the back seat. if you're a smurf, you'll fit just fine. anything but blue... it's a joke.