LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Change Filter When Changing Trans Fluid, This Is The Question

Old 04-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
parfleet is on a distinguished road
Army: Chief Warrant Officer, CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
Name: Rex
parfleet's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Change Filter When Changing Trans Fluid, This Is The Question

My 05 Tacoma PreRunner, 4.0 is coming up on 100,000 miles and I am preparing to change the trans fluid. Which by the way is no big deal and I have seen tons of video on a simple drain and refill. The question is, should I change the filter as well. The trans pan is fully accessible and I am certain that I could remove it and change the filter. I called a trans shop and asked about should I change the filter. The answer was quite surprising. I was told that little, if anything, would be gained by changing the filter as it is not a filter at all but a screen. Heck, I even emailed scottykilmer.com and he recommended a simple drain and refill. The local dealer would do the trans service in the following manner: 1) Open the drain plug to drain the fluid. 2) Leaving the drain plug off, remove the fill plug and run 1 quart of fluid through. This would clean the trans filter (screen). 3) Reinstall the drain plug. 4) Now remove the check plug. 5) Add 3.2 quarts of fluid through the fill plug which should result in the check plug location slightly leaking fluid. 6) Reinsert the check plug and tighten. 7) Lastly reinsert the fill plug and tighten. That's it! That's all they would do for just over $100. So should I do the filter...I'm inclined to. What say ye?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified internet mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Aisn Warner transmissions have for the most part always used a screen rather than a cloth style filter . Not sure on their reasoning behind this , but most debris gets caught by the magnet on the bottom of the pan . Assuming they beleive that more particles floating around in the fluid is better than a cloth filter creating a restriction of fluid .
Whenever I have removed a screen style filter , it was always clean even with blown planetary gearing laying in the pan .
Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I would, they probably are cheap.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
I asked my Toyota mechanic, who worked for toyota over 15 years and has his own shop, and he said drain and refill, no need to clean the screen unless you are having problems with it and no need to flush it if you drain and refill every 30 to 40k when you change your diff. gear oils.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Callahan2010 is on a distinguished road
Army: Diesel Mechanic
Name: Chris
Callahan2010's Tacoma Gallery
Just my two cents, Im a diesel mechanic. If it were a cloth or paper filter I would change it. If it is a screen, do not mess with it, unless you just like spending money.