1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

caliper piston seized?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tombiosis, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    tombiosis

tombiosis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    2016 Tacoma Access Cab, Super White, TRD Off Road package,//OEM Running Boards//TriFold2.0 Tonneau Cover//FJ Cruiser TRD SE Black TrailTeams replca wheels!
    Hi all,
    I read somewhere on here that a seized piston in the caliper can be fixed...can anyone confirm this? Has anyone tried it?
    I bought new rotors (brembo) and new pads (hawk LTS) and I was excited to get them installed. Of course, my usual luck kicks in and one of the pistons on the passenger was stuck and wouldn't compress all the way back in. I had to reassemble the old setup, and the old pads are now damaged and back on my truck!
    I never checked the driver side yet, had to abort the whole switch out.
    The stealersip wants over 400 bones for 1 caliper...
    What does everyone recommend? replace both calipers? rebuild both?
    any suggestions or past experiences appreciated.

2. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    You can try and rebuild them. Only way to tell is to take it apart and see why it is seized. If it is pitted badly then you may not be able to rebuild with just seals. At that point it's just easier to buy new ones. You do not need to buy both of them if only one is stuck. As long as everything is in working order on the old stuff they should be good. make sure to use antiseize and a good high temp lube on the slides and what not. For the caliper, take it apart and see whats up.

3. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    speedjunkie13

speedjunkie13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    a work in progress
    Depending on how bad they are, yes they can be rebuilt. I rebuilt mine a few months ago because one piston was seized and dragging. You can get a rebuild kit off Amazon here. you will need one per caliper.

I will warn you though that if it is stuck bad, then it can be a pretty big pain in the ass. normally you can just use compressed air to push out the pistons. I ended up having to hook the caliper back up to the brake line and then use the fluid pressure to pop it out, even that took quite a few times of bleeding and pumping the pedal numerous times as it slowly worked its way out. once they are all out just use some fine sandpaper and try to clean and smooth out any pits. if they are too bad you may not be able to save them. Like i said, one of mine was fairly bad, but its has been leak free and stops great now. IMO with the rebuild kits being so cheap, it's worth at least trying before shelling out a couple hundred dollars for rebuilt calipers.

BTW, the reason they seize is because the rubber boots tear and then allow water and crap to get to the piston and rust/corrode. whether you rebuild both or whatever, make sure all those boots are good so you don't have it happen again.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  4. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
  5. Apr 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    tombiosis

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    2016 Tacoma Access Cab, Super White, TRD Off Road package,//OEM Running Boards//TriFold2.0 Tonneau Cover//FJ Cruiser TRD SE Black TrailTeams replca wheels!
  6. Apr 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    b0ules

b0ules Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue 06 TRD Off-Road
    Leer 100XL Topper OME 885X/Nitrocharger Sport Front Dakar Leafs/Nitrocharger Sport Rear
    I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. Replaced both calipers with ACDelco reman'd ones. He said to absolutely stay away from Fenco due to past experience with quality/longevity issues.

My buddy/mechanic wasn't making a penny on the deal as I was doing the job myself - he recommended to change them as a pair based on mileage/age/etc...

All-in, it ended up being under $400 for parts and a gallon of brake fluid to do them both.

7. Apr 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    in the us you can buy a reman caliper for 80 bucks at autozone. id go that way before spending any money on a used one. and use only crocus cloth not sandpaper on the pistons if you rebuild em yourself

8. Apr 22, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    tombiosis

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    You are in Ottawa as well? cool...
    I got a price from NAPA of 150ish apiece, plus 75 core charge each...which they will refund when I bring the old ones back.
    Did you say it took a gallon of fluid?!?

9. Apr 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    b0ules

b0ules Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Leer 100XL Topper OME 885X/Nitrocharger Sport Front Dakar Leafs/Nitrocharger Sport Rear
    Hey Fixer, yeah, we get soaked on the cost of parts up here...

Hey Tom, nope, didn't take a gallon, I just figured I'd use more than a quart to get a good bleeding done, and the gallon was cheaper than 2 quarts. I bled all four corners while I was at it to freshen things up.

10. Apr 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    b0ules

b0ules Fresh frame!

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Oh, and Napa might carry Fenco but I'm not sure as I didn't look into it further after my buddy offered to get the parts in.

Check with Benson Auto Parts - I think they do the AC Delco stuff.

Didn't notice you were in Ottawa! Knowing that you share the same conditions, the hardest part of the job for me was disconnecting the lines from the calipers, so don't be afraid to blast them with penetrating oil before the job gets done.

BladeRunner76 likes this.
  11. Apr 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    tombiosis

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Ottawa Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD offroad access
    thanks bOules!
    I will watch for your truck on the streets of Ottawa

Products Discussed in

To Top