View Poll Results: Oil Filter Poll!!
Fram Ultra 48 6.97%
Mobil 1 71 10.30%
Toyota OEM 548 79.54%
Bosch 22 3.19%
Voters: 689. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, but that's a big, sexy can.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I use the wix/NAPA gold, 51348 and buy them by the case...they fit the taco, sil's 4runner, and wife's wrangler sahara. Now I just need five gallons of mobil one for the spring oil changes.

Howard
Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #23
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
people can tear open filters and stare at them all they
want on a bench, but what matters is filtering small metal bits
from oil under pressure

until someone posts up real world pressure and particle filtration
tests instead of just cut them open, stare and them and spew commentary,
I'll stick with OEM...as it is a guarantee toyota would have zero issues
should engine damage occur due to particulates not filtered
Old 04-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #24
andjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: LAXPD
Name: Andew
andjenliang's Tacoma Gallery
i buy oem when it is on sale for about 4 dollars or those ebay sales for a box of 10 w/ gaskets for 40 shipped. It maybe cheaper for the 4 cylinder engine
Old 04-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #25
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 oversized for all of my 55,000 miles. I have full confidence in it.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #27
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
O.E.M. filter & Mobil 1 Oil
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #28
Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask
JayDawg is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayDawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillynwv View Post
O.E.M. filter & Mobil 1 Oil
This! I put 218,000 miles on my 97' Tacoma doing this and running the engine hard on almost a daily basis. I pulled the engine apart when I worked for Toyota of El Cajon and compared it to a Tacoma that had around 100k less miles on it. The guy alway brought in Fram oil filters and changed the oil with traditional oil. I think he used Valvoline if I remember correctly? Anyway, my engine looked better than his did. With my 07' Tacoma and my wifes 10' Corolla, that is now all we run is OEM filters and Mobil 1 extended performance oil even though I still do all oil changes every 2k to 3k miles.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #29
Senior Citizen Member
chunt5 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired
Name: chuck
chunt5's Tacoma Gallery
OEM, you cannot go wrong.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #30
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
I use wix....never had a problem. looking to change to synthetic oil....
Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #31
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
I use a wix 51515, it fits a bunch of vehicles, but ll of fords 351 V8. It about 2.5x bigger than the stock filter. Also pretty cheap at about $6 ea.
Ditto. But of those listed in the poll, I'd say OEM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #32
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Go with a WIX/ NAPA gold. I use a wix 51515, it fits a bunch of vehicles, but ll of fords 351 V8. It about 2.5x bigger than the stock filter. Also pretty cheap at about $6 ea.
That is one big honking filter. Other Wix/NAPA filters that will work are Wix 51516, NAPA 1516(Gold $4.95) and NAPA 41516(Platinum $7.54). The Platinum is very reasonably priced for a premium filter.

My son has a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge with 3.0L, and these are the filters that it uses. These filters are larger than the Tacoma filter but not as large as the Wix 51515 pictured above.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #34
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andjenliang View Post
i buy oem when it is on sale for about 4 dollars or those ebay sales for a box of 10 w/ gaskets for 40 shipped. It maybe cheaper for the 4 cylinder engine

I Agree, even I am on board with the OEM filters since reasonably priced sources are available online nowadays.

I might gut and replace the entire sound system. Re-wire all the switches, throw on 3 foot suspensions, exhausts and monster tires, but I would never use anything but the OEM oil filters.

That might void the warranty....

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #35
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDawg View Post
This! I put 218,000 miles on my 97' Tacoma doing this and running the engine hard on almost a daily basis. I pulled the engine apart when I worked for Toyota of El Cajon and compared it to a Tacoma that had around 100k less miles on it. The guy alway brought in Fram oil filters and changed the oil with traditional oil. I think he used Valvoline if I remember correctly? Anyway, my engine looked better than his did. With my 07' Tacoma and my wifes 10' Corolla, that is now all we run is OEM filters and Mobil 1 extended performance oil even though I still do all oil changes every 2k to 3k miles.
yep, and I know someone who used standard fram, conventional oil - tore their motor down at 200K miles and it looked great. it was because he changed his oil often enough. this is an area that's always fun to read on the forums as there's way too much analysis paralysis/myths/brand homers/etc. (hey, I fall for that stuff do - it's just I realize it).
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #36
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMan1911 View Post
Which one should I use on my next oil change?
any of those you listed are just fine.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #37
PELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPELLEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PELLEY's Tacoma Gallery
WIX for V8 4runner... Purchased a whole case for under $50...
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #38
SuazoYota is on a distinguished road

Name: Spencer
SuazoYota's Tacoma Gallery
OEM filter with 0w20 Mobil 1 every 5,000
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #39
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer the Purolator Pureone PL20195. It's larger and can be had for $5.75 on Amazon. If you really want to research which filter is best for your buck, head on over to bobistheoilguy.com The PureOne was the best filtering filter tested by by some patrons over there. Based on which filters you listed, I'd go with the Toyota...Fram is junk IMO and Mobil is overpriced and overkill for a 5K OCI.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #40
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
I prefer the Purolator Pureone PL20195. It's larger and can be had for $5.75 on Amazon. If you really want to research which filter is best for your buck, head on over to bobistheoilguy.com The PureOne was the best filtering filter tested by by some patrons over there. Based on which filters you listed, I'd go with the Toyota...Fram is junk IMO and Mobil is overpriced and overkill for a 5K OCI.
Funny how Amazon seems to think that this won't fit my truck. Amazon FTW!