Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shifter Snapped...

Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
Shifter Snapped...

So today went to go get some ice cream of all stupid things, and on the way back, shifting into 3rd gear and my shifter went floppy and limp so coasted into the next interesction turn off lucky there, and ripped my truck apart right there. figuring the fittings from my URD SS came loose, to my suprise the ball snapped off...... So now im eating my god damn ice cream wondering who else has this happend too? and the cheapest fastest place to get a TRD SS. Any help would be awsome!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
do you still have your older shifter?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
What timing. Sounds like you needed to cool down anyway
Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
CINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCINER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cindy
CINER's Tacoma Gallery
Same thing happened to my friend..minus the ice cream part.....
Local dealer wanted $1200 to fix it.....he has been driving it around in the "limp" condition for about 4 years now.....
Sorry about the break.......
Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
do you still have your older shifter?
URD SS uses stock shifter for install, cool/stupid design... anyways to answer your question broken.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINER View Post
Same thing happened to my friend..minus the ice cream part.....
Local dealer wanted $1200 to fix it.....he has been driving it around in the "limp" condition for about 4 years now.....
Sorry about the break.......
yeah hes lucky, I cant even drive mine booooo. oh well room for an upgrade.....

on the side note, this ice cream is good...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
URD SS uses stock shifter for install, cool/stupid design... anyways to answer your question broken.
oh shit i didnt know this...go to toyota and buy another shifter?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
how does that even happen?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Taco Pete626 is on a distinguished road
Name: Peter
Taco Pete626's Tacoma Gallery
Out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on the URD SS?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
So now im eating my god damn ice cream wondering who else has this happend too?

sorry, just found that funny.

Good luck, sounds like some sort of fluke.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Pete626 View Post
Out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on the URD SS?
I would say, 10000-12000 KMS mine will be up for sale here soon after i get a replacment and clean it up. Nothing wrong with the kit just the stock shifter snapped.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard of it happening a few times... But it's 1 out of every 20 that it'll happen to.

I just put mine in a few weeks ago, Not going to lie. I am a little paranoid...

a quick google search.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96995

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42794

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=30719
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #13

Well I have seemed to make my truck a guinie pig truck into trying new things, I have found a different company that makes SS kits and they are cheaper than trd but more than URD. I have been reading reveiws and all look good so think im going to try it.

I was also a little paranoid about mine comming apart cause i read on a post on here, and when it happend thought for sure thats what it was but when I opened it up was I ever supprised.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #15
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
have had the URD SS shifter for 42k miles now. no issues
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #16
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear you stick went floppy & limp.
Did you drop ice cream on your lap.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 AM   #17
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Is this one of those stories- if its not broken, don't fix it!? I have never heard of a OEM shifter breaking- I am sure they do but...
Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #18
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Is this one of those stories- if its not broken, don't fix it!? I have never heard of a OEM shifter breaking- I am sure they do but...
A URD SS is basically a spacer and ball adapter/extender that goes over the stock ball.

It adds extra strain to the stock ball since it is now the pressure point when shifting... See it this way, Those 2 couplers are now at the narrow tip of the ball with little screws holding it in so it's technically being pulled with every shift.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithCamera View Post
A URD SS is basically a spacer and ball adapter/extender that goes over the stock ball.

It adds extra strain to the stock ball since it is now the pressure point when shifting... See it this way, Those 2 couplers are now at the narrow tip of the ball with little screws holding it in so it's technically being pulled with every shift.
X2
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Sorry to hear you stick went floppy & limp.
Did you drop ice cream on your lap.