1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coolant seeping on my 2012 4x

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ca Taco, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Apr 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    Ca Taco

Ca Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    El Cajon
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg cab 4x4 2.7 auto
    I took my truck to the dealer today as coolant crust is running a foot down the side of the radiator from the cap and a three inch circle around the overflow bottle neck. The overflow crust I can see as sometimes I go over stuff at speed which would splash all the coolant up against the cap, but running down the radiator? Dealer said it's normal and cleaned the mess. By the stammering speach of the assitant service manager regarding the radiator cap, I suspect he's not in agreement with what told me. I worked as a service advisor at a Honda shop for 10 years. If we saw this condition, we'd inspect for a cracked filler neck or nicked sealing surface inside/on top of the neck. If ok, we'd replace the cap and re-check. Normal??? This is my fifth truck. I've never had leakage from a new cap or new truck. Anyone have this problem with a late model? I have a 4x single cab with 2.7 auto. 12k miles. Coolant level is ok and no overheating. I've been smelling coolant since October but never determined the source until this last Sunday. I checked the core last month but found no residue. I will try a Stant cap as I suspect the OEM cap is junk and the dealer knows it. Your thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. Apr 23, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I'd replace the cap. Sometimes bad caps leave the factory.

Stick with OEM... Auto parts store caps you run a 50/50 shot at getting a good one.
    I went through FOUR on my Suburban before getting a good one.

3. Apr 24, 2013 at 1:15 AM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
  4. Apr 24, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I would get a new cap as mentioned- then clean it all up and see what happens. I had some seepage coming out of the hose that connects to the overflow tank- put a zip tie on it and no problems since...:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top