Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Poll: Front lift Question - Added Weight Compensation

View Poll Results: What will compensate for the added weight without breaking the bank?
Leave it as is. You only lost .25" save your pennies. 0 0%
10mm Front Strut Spacer (this is not a shock top spacer) 2 40.00%
Swap out OME 886 3 60.00%
Other - Please Specify 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Poll: Front lift Question - Added Weight Compensation

Okay so I have a 2012 Baja edition. As you know it comes with about a small lift from the factory. Since I purchased my truck I have added a considerable about of weight. Pelfreybilt bumper, winch, and Pelfreybilt skid plates are on the way. I went wheeling for the first time this past saturday and the truck did amazing. My only issue is I would like to compensate for the weight to get my stock ride height/clearance back.

I don't want more lift just more support for the extra 130+lbs. Money is tight so I am trying to dodge UCAs for now. I figure if my truck came with the lift a lift so as long as I don't exceed the stock height I will not need to replace them? In theory....

My question for all you all are the following.

1) Should I leave the suspension as is.
2) Add a 10mm Front Strut Trim Packer
3) Swap out the Coil spring for an OME 886 (I am not sure if this is possible due to shock size)
4) Other Suggestions

I understand some of you don't like the baja edition, so if you don't have something constructive please move on the the next thread.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
So basically you have dropped below factory height and would like to get back to factory height?

I would do the spacer then. Seems easiest. I don't think 886's would fit your shocks, plus that is a longer stronger shock so you would likely get more lift out of it. I have added a few hundred pounds to my front end and my 886's have barely moved at all.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quick and dirty, 10mm trim packer. A little more cash and effort, 886's if they will fit. Truck looks good, do what the wallet can afford and what you want. Keep us updated.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
So basically you have dropped below factory height and would like to get back to factory height?

I would do the spacer then. Seems easiest. I don't think 886's would fit your shocks, plus that is a longer stronger shock so you would likely get more lift out of it. I have added a few hundred pounds to my front end and my 886's have barely moved at all.
That is what I was thinking. I am pleased with the lift that came on the truck (1.5-2" I believe). It is enough for me to do everything else I want on the truck for now. I am just making sure I do something to compensate for the weight a little.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Quick and dirty, 10mm trim packer. A little more cash and effort, 886's if they will fit. Truck looks good, do what the wallet can afford and what you want. Keep us updated.
Yeah I think the trim packer is the way to go then.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
#2 is the clear choice and start saving up for 886 springs/shocks, because your current springs will just continue to sag more with time.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
10mm trim packer and save for mid travel
Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX View Post
#2 is the clear choice and start saving up for 886 springs/shocks, because your current springs will just continue to sag more with time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
10mm trim packer and save for mid travel
Just ordered the spacers.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
So

The Ironman trim packer fits your shocks ?
Honestly not sure. I am going to measure them once I get them and see if they will fit. If not I will just send them back or sell them on here. I can't find measurements for them. They fit 4 runners, FJ's, Land Cruisers, and tacomas.

I cannot get any information about these damn shocks because they are "for toyota" so when I called billstein they were no help.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
Honestly not sure. I am going to measure them once I get them and see if they will fit. If not I will just send them back or sell them on here. I can't find measurements for them. They fit 4 runners, FJ's, Land Cruisers, and tacomas.

I cannot get any information about these damn shocks because they are "for toyota" so when I called billstein they were no help.
The only reason I ask is because that looks exactly like the OME trim packer except the OME trim packer is 5mm thick

The OME trim packer goes at the bottom of the coil and only works with OME shocks

This doesn't look like a top plate spacer , they usually have notches to align the spacer with the top hat studs

I may be mistaken but that what it looks like to me
Old 04-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Kick A$$ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The only reason I ask is because that looks exactly like the OME trim packer except the OME trim packer is 5mm thick

The OME trim packer goes at the bottom of the coil and only works with OME shocks

This doesn't look like a top plate spacer , they usually have notches to align the spacer with the top hat studs

I may be mistaken but that what it looks like to me
I am starting to think that those spacers are not going to fit....Damn it!

I canceled my order. I am going to leave the truck as is for now.

I have a friend who knows his stuff, but mostly about FJ's. These were his suggestion. I know they fit on stock tacoma shock. The issue is if they will fit the baja shock. The springs around my shock are 3" inside diameter. The shock body seems to be 2.5" (rough guess using a ruler.) I don't need to bring it back up. I will save for a while and upgrade to a quality mid travel in a year or two.

I would love to know if I could just swap out an OME spring.