1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Xylan Coating Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by birry, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Apr 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    birry

birry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCSB
    OME 885, Bilstein 5100's, Wheeler's (single) AAL
    I'm planning on buying a 2007 Tacoma this weekend (already put a refundable deposit down on it) and the dealership is offering to do a Xylan coating underneath for around $500.

Anyone have experience with that stuff? Is that a better route than using POR 15 or another coating and doing it myself? Does the dealership generally offer a warranty of some kind if they do it themselves?

I don't mind hard work, but just wondered if the Xylan coating done by a dealership will be higher quality than anything I can do on my own.

Any thoughts?

2. Apr 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    Plik

Plik Ragin Cajun

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Click my sig pic for build thread
    Xylan is some pretty slick stuff... It's used extensively in the oil and gas industry for marine applications.. I've used it on tight tolerance/wear surfaces for subsea connectors where 3 part epoxy coats were just too thick... you will get better corrosion protection from an epoxy, but the xylan will repel dirt/grease/mud much better..

here is an oceaneering 3 segment clamp connector.. all the blue parts are xylan coated..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  3. Apr 25, 2013 at 6:57 AM
    birry

birry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCSB
    OME 885, Bilstein 5100's, Wheeler's (single) AAL
    Maybe its a different thing he's talking about, then. He said it was an undercoating for the frame. Is that a material they use for that???

4. Apr 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    Plik

Plik Ragin Cajun

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Click my sig pic for build thread
    Xylan is a PTFE coating.. I guess you could put it on as an undercoating. Never actually seen it used on automotive applications.. That said, I always wanted to have a set of rims coated in xylan... it comes in a variety of colors.

5. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Would this stuff require bare prepped metal to apply? I'm kinda skeptical how good of coverage the dealership could get applying this stuff underneath your truck considering the truck is a few years old. Looks cool though - never really heard about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top