Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Xylan Coating Question

Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
birry is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Xylan Coating Question

I'm planning on buying a 2007 Tacoma this weekend (already put a refundable deposit down on it) and the dealership is offering to do a Xylan coating underneath for around $500.

Anyone have experience with that stuff? Is that a better route than using POR 15 or another coating and doing it myself? Does the dealership generally offer a warranty of some kind if they do it themselves?

I don't mind hard work, but just wondered if the Xylan coating done by a dealership will be higher quality than anything I can do on my own.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
Xylan is some pretty slick stuff... It's used extensively in the oil and gas industry for marine applications.. I've used it on tight tolerance/wear surfaces for subsea connectors where 3 part epoxy coats were just too thick... you will get better corrosion protection from an epoxy, but the xylan will repel dirt/grease/mud much better..

here is an oceaneering 3 segment clamp connector.. all the blue parts are xylan coated..

Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
birry is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plik View Post
Xylan is some pretty slick stuff... It's used extensively in the oil and gas industry for marine applications.. I've used it on tight tolerance/wear surfaces for subsea connectors where 3 part epoxy coats were just too thick... you will get better corrosion protection from an epoxy, but the xylan will repel dirt/grease/mud much better..

here is an oceaneering 3 segment clamp connector.. all the blue parts are xylan coated..
Maybe its a different thing he's talking about, then. He said it was an undercoating for the frame. Is that a material they use for that???
Old 04-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
Xylan is a PTFE coating.. I guess you could put it on as an undercoating. Never actually seen it used on automotive applications.. That said, I always wanted to have a set of rims coated in xylan... it comes in a variety of colors.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Would this stuff require bare prepped metal to apply? I'm kinda skeptical how good of coverage the dealership could get applying this stuff underneath your truck considering the truck is a few years old. Looks cool though - never really heard about it.