Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

MGM Headlight Mod

Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
me.... ask and ye shall receive

to be honest thought about not posting just to keep to myself, but fig whats the point of doin a mod if you dont show it off

Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
I understand the want to keep it to yourself, thanks for deciding to post it up. Looks good. What brand of paint did you use? I've got a local shop that is going to mix up a PPG match, just wondering if you used something off the shelf.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #25
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Went for it. Got the first coat of paint on. Couldn't get the PPG to match too well, so I went With Duplicolors MGM match. We'll see how it turns out. Five coats of MGM and three coats of clear. Gonna let it dry overnight and reinstall tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
MGM Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
MGM Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
how was it to take apart?
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Really not bad at all. The " third bolt" holding the headlights was easy enough to get to by taking out the two 10mm bolts holding the front of the plastic fenderwell on. Then you pretty much have a straight shot at it. The headlights themselves were pretty easy too. I was overly cautious on the first one and took it out of the oven after about 6 mins. Bad call. I fought it like hell, then put it back in the oven. Heat is the key. The second was in for a full 10 mins and almost came apart completely by hand. The MGM paint is pretty dark despite it being a good match to the body. It pretty much looks black, although I have yet to see it in the daylight. All in all it's pretty easy.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
Drinknmolson is on a distinguished road
Drinknmolson's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like some peeps are removing the drl/turn lens, is this advised? Are you changing out bulbs and that is why? Curious as my drl lens is discolored and if/when i do this mod i want to do it right the first time.
Thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinknmolson View Post
Looks like some peeps are removing the drl/turn lens, is this advised? Are you changing out bulbs and that is why? Curious as my drl lens is discolored and if/when i do this mod i want to do it right the first time.
Thanks
No first hand knowledge of this. It does seem that some '05-'10 Tacomas have problems with the heat generated by the DRL bulbs. There are a couple of threads about it IIRC. A search should generate some threads. Let me know if you are unable to find anything.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #30
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery

Hopefully not
Old 04-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #31
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty crappy night pics. Will try to get some decent ones up tomorrow afternoon weather permitting.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
2011 TRD Sport 4x4
Junebug55210 will become famous soon enoughJunebug55210 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
Junebug55210's Tacoma Gallery
sudb
Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #33
Luke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Luke
Luke01's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking about doing mine in the duplicolor black chrome but MGM might be sharp as well. I would love to see daytime pictures of it. I was thinking of doing the chrome grill in black chrome as well
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #34
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
No daytime pics today. Nothing but clouds and rain. I'll get it inside at work tomorrow and see if I can get any better ones.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #35
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
Boone Taco, did you paint your headlights black or MGM?

Your truck looks awesome guy
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #36
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man. It's MGM. I'm pretty happy how it turned out. It does look really close to black until you get right up on it.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #37
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get the MGM paint? Also how long did the whole process take? Any negative impacts lighting?

Sorry for all the questions haha
Old 04-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #38
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
No worries about the questions. I had a local shop mix up a MGM mix, but it wasn't really close at all. The flake was a bit big and the color was too dark. I saw a Duplicolor MGM match at Advance Auto a few weeks earlier and gave that a try on some primed steel. Looked pretty good so I went with it. Start to finish, probably 7 hours. Most of the time was spent drinking beer waiting for paint to dry. No negative impacts noticed. In theory it should not affect lighting at all since the factory reflector coating is not disturbed.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #39
MGM Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
MGM Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
looks good to me, im ready to try it now lol
Old 04-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #40
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Do it. If you are the slightest bit mechanically inclined it's pretty simple.

Short list of things required for mine:

Headlights, oven, 3M windo-weld, paint (color, clear and primer), 10 mm socket, T15 Torx bit, #2 Phillips, Painters tape (helps with scratch free re-installation of headlights) and clamps.
I honestly wasn't sold on the HLM before I did it, but it's growing on me more and more.