Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

U Joint Grease

Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Monster1 is on a distinguished road
Army: 11th Infantry (radio man)
Monster1's Tacoma Gallery
U Joint Grease

Simple question, but I want to make sure I use the best available grease on my U Joints, so what would the forum experts recommend as far as what the best grease would best to use on my 2nd gen Tacoma 4x4. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
DuPont lithium
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
I use Militec 1 Lithium grease, you can order it online.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
i used Mobile 1 wheel bearing grease. prob not to spec but.........
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking for "the best available grease," then the ONLY answer is RedLine. The only company that uses 100% synthetic base stocks for their products. And their products exceed just about every test and specification known to lubricants. Been using them for years, including my Tacoma.
(I have no affiliation with RedLine other than a long-time highly satisfied customer).
Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
trooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrooper12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Spencer
trooper12's Tacoma Gallery
I like to use DuPont teflon grease, PTFE FTW!

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...mp_grease.html
Old 04-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Richard
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Use it regularly, and after experiencing severe conditions.
That's at least as important as whatever grease you choose.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
Sta-Lube.

I used Mobil1 before and it's terrible. It separates and runs all over the place
Old 04-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Aeroshell 7 aircraft grease.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
I use Lucas Red "N" Tacky.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P9HST2 View Post
I use Lucas Red "N" Tacky.

This
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
valvoline syn-power
Old 12-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
kylenotjon will become famous soon enoughkylenotjon will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
kylenotjon's Tacoma Gallery
I greased my u-joints today at ~6000mi and the truck feels like there's more drag on the drive train when accelerating. When greasing the joints, they took quite a lot of grease. Could it be possible they were almost empty from the factory?

This is the grease I used:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...ode=GPTR2CR-EA

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenotjon View Post
I greased my u-joints today at ~6000mi and the truck feels like there's more drag on the drive train when accelerating. When greasing the joints, they took quite a lot of grease. Could it be possible they were almost empty from the factory?

Mine were very, very dry from the factory and took a lot of grease on their first service. You shouldn't feel anything different after greasing a u-joint as far as 'drag' on the drive line.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
kylenotjon will become famous soon enoughkylenotjon will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
kylenotjon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Mine were very, very dry from the factory and took a lot of grease on their first service. You shouldn't feel anything different after greasing a u-joint as far as 'drag' on the drive line.
That's what I was thinking in reference to the drag. Maybe I was looking for something that wasn't there and simply wanted to feel a difference. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
I grease mine every 6 months and notice more of a clunk when switching in and out of 4WD right before it's time. Grease them up good and the clunk is almost gone until next time. The joint on my front shaft that's harder to get to took quite a bit this last time, so I guess I didn't get it full the first time. Anyways, that was a noticeable improvement after greasing them for the second time. I only have 8400 miles on the truck after 14 months...
Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
rustbus is on a distinguished road
rustbus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenotjon View Post

this is what my dealership sold me. its what they use and recommend.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Use it regularly, and after experiencing severe conditions.
That's at least as important as whatever grease you choose.
This ^
I prefer Amsoil with 5% moly but any of the top names are great.

Buy a top quality grease gun. Wipe the zerk before filling to prevent dirt from being forced into the joint.
Grease regularly, typically it only takes 4 pumps on the handle as a general rule per zerk if serviced regularly. You should listen closely to the joint being greased, as soon as you hear it "crack" that means it's full - stop pumping.