Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rattle when driving...loose bed?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Ermine is on a distinguished road
Ermine's Tacoma Gallery
Rattle when driving...loose bed?

When im driving on a dirt road I get some rattling coming from the right side front on my 2011 TRD. I pushed up with my hand on the bed and there was a little play. Went to tighten the bolt in the bed and it is tight and not loose. Any ideas? Hope that made sense
Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
When you were pushing up on the bed did it have play like it had space between the bed and the bolts, or was it just flexing?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Ermine's Tacoma Gallery
Yea it had play. If looking in the wheel well I could physically play when I lifted it up. He moved a little bit from where the bed attaches to the frame. In the area of the bolt in the bed that is right side and front. I figured it would be loose and it was tight thou
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
Yea it had play. If looking in the wheel well I could physically play when I lifted it up. He moved a little bit from where the bed attaches to the frame. In the area of the bolt in the bed that is right side and front. I figured it would be loose and it was tight thou

Try this. Take the bolt out and make sure the threads on the bolt are good. Check to make sure nothing is in the bolt hole. If they look good put the bolt back in and retighten. Check to see if the bed is still loose. If it is, pull the bolt out again. Put a washer (1 or more) on the bolt as a spacer and tighten. Check to see if the bed still feels loose.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermine View Post
When im driving on a dirt road I get some rattling coming from the right side fronton my 2011 TRD. I pushed up with my hand on the bed and there was a little play. Went to tighten the bolt in the bed and it is tight and not loose. Any ideas? Hope that made sense

The bed is in the rear...
Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Ermine's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I'll try that.

Yea I know the bed is in the rear. Sorry I was meaning the right front on the bed. The area that rattles is the bolt in the bed that is towards the front on the passenger side.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Ermine's Tacoma Gallery
It should be under warranty. Is it worth just taking it in or fixing it myself?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
RESIST

Yeah, if you can show them the problem it is worth taking it in. Just make sure you physically show them so they don't try to tell you its 'normal'.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Ermine's Tacoma Gallery
Ok yea I can lift the bed and see about a 1/8th of an inch space
Old 04-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
oilpatchtaco is on a distinguished road
oilpatchtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the same issue. What size torx is that bolt at the front of the bed?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpatchtaco View Post
I've got the same issue. What size torx is that bolt at the front of the bed?

I believe it is a #55