Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

RUNNING BOARD OPINIONS????

Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
whoward85 is on a distinguished road

Name: Lee
whoward85's Tacoma Gallery
RUNNING BOARD OPINIONS????

I am eventually going to get 4xinnovations sliders. I am debating on whether i should take the running boards off and sell them or keep them. I do think it adds a look. but they are chrome. I HATE chrome. What do yall think?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
You talking about tube steps? Not sure I've seen chrome running boards on the Tacoma. If you use them, i'd keep them on. If not, may as well sell them and put money in your pocket. If you don't use them but like the look lol I guess that's up to you. Personally, I think the lines look cleaner without them.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #3

thanks man if you look close at my profile pic you will see the chrome. i guess ill just keep em on till the sliders come in,.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
ChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
ChiefManyWrenches's Tacoma Gallery
I am pretty much in you exact situation. I also have a Silver Taco and have been thinking about ditching the factory running boards. They are only still on there because on normal cars, the door will hit that before the body.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Personally dont like that style but if you have a hard time getting in N out or passenger. i would keep them on but if there no use for them then should be removed and sold like Matt ( Fluffymonkey) said.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
All Pro sliders are big enough to step on if you need help getting into the truck, keep your rockers safe, and destroy runaway family car doors in a parking lot. F-ing love mine!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #7

I agree the allpro are nice looking but i have a friend "tacoma89" whos got the 4x innovations with the kickout and they look nice and are stout. I think i will remove and wait on the sliders, honestly do yall think that these are really going to provide any protection. LOL

Also YOTA LOVER did you weld on? Some of the guys around here are telling me not to weld to the frame because it weakens it. Is this true or are they blowing smoke up my A$$?

Thanks again
Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #9

IF i do sell what do you think i could get for them or at least what should i ask?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoward85 View Post
I agree the allpro are nice looking but i have a friend "tacoma89" whos got the 4x innovations with the kickout and they look nice and are stout. I think i will remove and wait on the sliders, honestly do yall think that these are really going to provide any protection. LOL

Also YOTA LOVER did you weld on? Some of the guys around here are telling me not to weld to the frame because it weakens it. Is this true or are they blowing smoke up my A$$?

Thanks again
I got the AP sliders with the "flare out" on the end, and it does just that, and the punched plates that are welded in the gaps (my wife likes to step on them).

I did not weld them onto the frame for two reasons: 1. warranty and 2. removal for touch-up. If they were going on an older truck I would weld them on and box that section of frame while I was at it just to make sure.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I am not sure of welding to the frame. Reason being that is the back bone of our trucks. If you look at big rig frames it has some warnings about welding or drilling on some areas of the frame.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman1979 View Post
Yea I am not sure of welding to the frame. Reason being that is the back bone of our trucks. If you look at big rig frames it has some warnings about welding or drilling on some areas of the frame.
In the case of gen 1 & 2 it could help, at least the AP sliders, which would add a lot of structure to the frame. The sliders also have the potential to take a lot of strain, so boxing the frame and welding the sliders really would add to the structural integrity. Could be a good move in the long-term if you're keeping the truck forever.