1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange wheel noise... HELP!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JUDG3, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Apr 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    JUDG3

JUDG3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Super White
    265/75/16 Fierce Attitudes on MT Classic Locks, Black Badges, Secondary Air Filter Delete, AFE Pro Dry Filter, RevTek Lift, Magnaflow High Flow Cat and Muffler, Pioneer double din indash DVD head unit
    Ok so earlier this week I had a buddy riding with me and we had the windows down and he hears this scraping noise coming from the front passenger wheel well. I heard it too... Sounds like the noise is in rotation with the wheel but not in every revolution. My truck just hit 100k miles so I start examining the wheel... First thought was wheel bearings going out. So I replaced both front wheel bearings and rotors while I was at it... Didn't fix the problem. I heard the dust shield sometimes get bent checked that to no avail. Then I realize one of the pistons on the caliper is kinda sticking... Replaced the caliper... The noise is still there. The next thing I thought of was maybe the wheel got bent slightly so I rotated to the rear... Same noise from the front. I'm lost at this point... I have no clue where else to look... I'm starting to think its not the wheel... Would any suspension components make the noise I described? Anybody have any ideas? By the way it is a 2005 2wd prerunner.

2. Apr 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    dsjones5

dsjones5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DSJ
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 MG DC Taco
    Seat covers, weather tech digi fit, bug deflector, plasti dip wheels, magnaflow muffler, and many more to come!.. as soon as i get money. Ill probably go broke typing this...
    is it a scrape or is more like a squeak? lol

The reason being if its a squeak it could be suspension components.

3. Apr 26, 2013 at 4:06 AM
    JUDG3

JUDG3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Super White
    265/75/16 Fierce Attitudes on MT Classic Locks, Black Badges, Secondary Air Filter Delete, AFE Pro Dry Filter, RevTek Lift, Magnaflow High Flow Cat and Muffler, Pioneer double din indash DVD head unit
    I believe it's more of a scrape... But after 4 days straight of pullin this wheel apart and reassembling my ears could be hearing things lol... I looked over all the joints in the suspension... All the boots looked good... I know that doesn't mean the parts are good but what gets me is the noise is in rotation

4. Apr 26, 2013 at 4:22 AM
    MadMan

MadMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD sport
    De-badged and blacked out
    Check slave cylinder and make sure it doesn't leak or sticks.

5. Apr 26, 2013 at 4:43 AM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    Can you duplicate the sound... spinning the tire while truck is jacked up? Or does it only grind under load?

6. Apr 26, 2013 at 4:53 AM
    JUDG3

JUDG3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Super White
    ill look at the slave but i dont think its leaking... the slave is attached to the tranny right?

no i cannot duplicate the noise... idk if its because i can not spin the wheel fast enough or if its only under load

7. Apr 26, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    MadMan

MadMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD sport
    De-badged and blacked out
    No, break master cylinder is under the hood and there is one slave at each wheel. Slave is what pushes your break pads, if it's sticking, your break pads are not fully releasing, which would cause them to rub against the rotor and make noise when wheel is rotated.

8. Apr 26, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    subbed for results, good luck op!

9. Apr 26, 2013 at 5:11 AM
    JUDG3

JUDG3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Super White
    ok gotcha.. i was thinking of the clutch slave... where is the slaves on each wheel? i did notice before i replaced the caliper the wheel with the issue smelled like i was braking real hard but i havent had time to recheck it since the replacement

10. Apr 26, 2013 at 5:12 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Slave= Caliper.

11. Apr 26, 2013 at 5:16 AM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    OP has replaced the caliper

12. Apr 26, 2013 at 5:28 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    As Boone indicated as well, they are not called "slave cylinders" in the brake system. On a disc brake system the correct term is "caliper" and on a drum system the correct word is "wheel cylinder".

OP, since the noise seems to be a rotational one, checking all points of rotation as you have been doing is the right direction. Next time you drive it see if the noise changes based on steering angle. Also check for anything like a brake line that could be making contact with the wheel, or anything else.

13. Apr 26, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    JUDG3

JUDG3 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Super White
    Ok ill do that. I did notice the noise is not audible under 25 mph and i cannot hear it over 40 but that may be the road noise drowning it out... i have never realized if it does it during turns i will check that next time im in the truck. The tolerances on the truck are very tight so ive looked for anything hitting the wheel/rotor area with no luck. I do have a 1/4 inch wheel spacer so that the wheel will clear the caliper, but iver never had a problem with them before and ive had the truck since 07. could the spacer cause any issues?

Products Discussed in

To Top