Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Looking for LED lights to replace my Daytime Running Lights. Any suggestions?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for LED lights to replace my Daytime Running Lights. Any suggestions?

As the title says I'm looking for a pair of LED lights to replace my DRL's. I purchased these off Amazon and as you can tell from the pictures they are total fucking shit:

As you can tell one of the lights is installed in the housing crooked (quality control at it's best). I took a chance and installed them in the DRL's and shocker it blew the fuse. Reversed the bulbs in case of a polarity issue and shocker again blew the next fuse. Replaced my DRL's with the Silverstars that I had in them. The only reason that I would like to replace the lights is the Silverstars seem to run a little hotter than the factory DRL's. Not so much that it is going to melt the lens but when I took them out you could tell that they were running a little hot. I would return these but due to the half page of instructions on how to return them and the "up to 30 days" to get my money back I just said fuck it. Chalk it up to a $12 lesson learned.

So... Anyone know of a quality set of LED lights that might work for my DRL's?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
PM CSjumper2003 on here. Check out his thread. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ed-lights.html
Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
PM CSjumper2003 on here. Check out his thread. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ed-lights.html
Awesome! Thank you very much!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
My 05' doesn't have DTRL's but I have all LED bulbs with no issues. Don't forget to order the CF18 flasher if LED's are going into your turn signals(Confirm your 2011 uses the same flasher). Check out www.superbrightleds.com.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcmack View Post
My 05' doesn't have DTRL's but I have all LED bulbs with no issues. Don't forget to order the CF18 flasher if LED's are going into your turn signals(Confirm your 2011 uses the same flasher). Check out www.superbrightleds.com.
Cool thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Asianguywithatruk is on a distinguished road
Asianguywithatruk's Tacoma Gallery
I have a pair of vled triton v3 in 5k I'm thinking of selling. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Sticker Making Dude
CBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: C
CBoy808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
As the title says I'm looking for a pair of LED lights to replace my DRL's. I purchased these off Amazon and as you can tell from the pictures they are total fucking shit:
If you purchased these from amazon, you should return them. their return policy is excellent. If you choose damaged or not as advertised when you setup the return they will even pay shipping back to them. Its REALLY easy as they give you a label all you have to do is print it out, box it back up and give it to the post man.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
lemon177 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
lemon177's Tacoma Gallery
you also may need to run a resistor with those LEDs you got.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
im in the same boat. bought a set of CSjumpers LED's, could barely notice them. looking for a solution now.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBoy808 View Post
If you purchased these from amazon, you should return them. their return policy is excellent. If you choose damaged or not as advertised when you setup the return they will even pay shipping back to them. Its REALLY easy as they give you a label all you have to do is print it out, box it back up and give it to the post man.
Yeah I thought about that. I should have known better with a $12 set of LED lights. It is my fault for not doing my research before purchasing them. I didn't realize that there is more involved than just switching out light bulbs to LEDs. I may but for $12 not really worth my time and effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon177 View Post
you also may need to run a resistor with those LEDs you got.
Now that I have done a little more research I think you are probably right. But, like everyone says, you get what you pay for. It is pretty obvious that they are not really well crafted. The pictures from the Seller and what I received are not exactly the same to say the least lol.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
im in the same boat. bought a set of CSjumpers LED's, could barely notice them. looking for a solution now.

Man I really like your truck in your Sig. I dig the subtle look! Good job
Old 04-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota's wiring on the socket is what's causing the fuse to blow.
You need the "CK" type LED units.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Toyota's wiring on the socket is what's causing the fuse to blow.
You need the "CK" type LED units.
"CK"? Sorry I'm kind of stupid with this. Learning though
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
"CK"? Sorry I'm kind of stupid with this. Learning though
It has to do with the way the socket is wired.
For some reason, Toyota put both grounds on the same side, rather than the same end, so the LEDs short. Lamps don't because 4 separate wires feed the filaments, but on LEDs have two hots but the ground is common to both circuits.

The CK type LEDs correct this. They have them on Superbright, or you can get them from CSjumper as neon indicated.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
It has to do with the way the socket is wired.
For some reason, Toyota put both grounds on the same side, rather than the same end, so the LEDs short. Lamps don't because 4 separate wires feed the filaments, but on LEDs have two hots but the ground is common to both circuits.

The CK type LEDs correct this. They have them on Superbright, or you can get them from CSjumper as neon indicated.
Ah okay. Thanks that makes sense now.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Man I really like your truck in your Sig. I dig the subtle look! Good job

thanks man!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #17
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianguywithatruk View Post
I have a pair of vled triton v3 in 5k I'm thinking of selling. Let me know if you're interested.
Unhappy with the results?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
Asianguywithatruk is on a distinguished road
Asianguywithatruk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
Unhappy with the results?
I am absolutely happy with them. Just going a different direction. I'm about to do a retrofit and I'm thinking about putting in some xbaled so I don't want the v3 tritons to outshine the led ring.