Notices

Thoughts on Performance Chips

View Poll Results: Performance chips, good or bad idea
Good Idea 8 12.12%
Bad Idea 58 87.88%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery

FYI, there is a search function located up to the right on the blue bar.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...archid=8936072
Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #22
eat, sleep, paintball
AMH3RST is on a distinguished road

Name: Mitch
AMH3RST's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post

FYI, there is a search function located up to the right on the blue bar.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...archid=8936072
I clicked on the link for fuelly in your sig and there was an ad for the Gfchip claiming "$69 Toyota Tacomachip Gain 60 horsepower instantly instant 4-7 MPG fuel savings" on the page.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
Lifer is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Lifer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by haider320 View Post
You get a supercharger, you will still have to get a tune to accommodate for fi. Like Ford and its Mustangs(since I have a lot of experience with the Mustang); if you let the dealer do the install and install a Toyota factory tune for the supercharger; you'll be good to go on your warranty.
Ya that would definitely be the route I would take. And I get discounts on all toyota stuff =) Sometimes I love working for a dealership! Employee discounts like crazy!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #25
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Superchips for my V-8 Dodge Dakota. Yes, I could really tell a difference when I ran it on performance mode. Wish they would make one for our Tacomas.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwilson74 View Post
I had a Superchips for my V-8 Dodge Dakota. Yes, I could really tell a difference when I ran it on performance mode. Wish they would make one for our Tacomas.
If u can toggle the signal to the urd maf calibrator, u would have the same thing I think.

Supposed to be good for up to 15hp roughly.

I wanted to do that so I could turn it off when climing this/that grade, especially when its hot out.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #27
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
After you spend your money and drive it for a few weeks the thrill will ware off. Gas engines are at about at their max a chip will help the excess weight in your hip pocket nothing more.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #28
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
After you spend your money and drive it for a few weeks the thrill will ware off. Gas engines are at about at their max a chip will help the excess weight in your hip pocket nothing more.

the added benefit of leaning the mixture some decreases the bogging effect that these things seem to run into (automatics)...when at 65 or so and u go from partial throttle to the floor, sometimes the trans does NOT kickdown all the time like u would expect and the engine basically drowns itself. and it can be dangerous when u rlly need to move outta a sticky situation and the truck falls on its face.

an intake and exhaust will not change that either....been there done that.

actually an aftermarket intake generally has a "whoosh" sound a second or so before the engine responds. This is very evident on the URD intake, K&N intakes, and IIRC the AFE stage 2 Si did it.... But once I installed the MAF calibrator, the engine responded immediatley and that silly "whoosh" sound was replaced by the engines rpm climb.

I do have ADHD and pickup on the little noises on my vehicles, so YMMV, and if ur a manual, u may not have the bogging issue since u should be able to select the right gear quicker.

Im not gunna get into hp claims as Ive never been on a dyno........but the kickdown issue I def remember. U can find dyno proof of performance changes on n/a and f/i elsewhere
Old 05-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #29
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
the added benefit of leaning the mixture some decreases the bogging effect that these things seem to run into (automatics)...when at 65 or so and u go from partial throttle to the floor, sometimes the trans does NOT kickdown all the time like u would expect and the engine basically drowns itself. and it can be dangerous when u rlly need to move outta a sticky situation and the truck falls on its face.

an intake and exhaust will not change that either....been there done that.

actually an aftermarket intake generally has a "whoosh" sound a second or so before the engine responds. This is very evident on the URD intake, K&N intakes, and IIRC the AFE stage 2 Si did it.... But once I installed the MAF calibrator, the engine responded immediatley and that silly "whoosh" sound was replaced by the engines rpm climb.

I do have ADHD and pickup on the little noises on my vehicles, so YMMV, and if ur a manual, u may not have the bogging issue since u should be able to select the right gear quicker.

Im not gunna get into hp claims as Ive never been on a dyno........but the kickdown issue I def remember. U can find dyno proof of performance changes on n/a and f/i elsewhere
damnit
now you can be all
"Yeah, exhaust and intakes are fun and all

but the real fun is forced induction

ASK ME BECAUSE I KNOW"

I wanna be cool too :sad:
Old 05-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #30
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
The computer does not learn it has no intelligence it “adapts” it does not learn. Unless you can rewrite the look up table it is fixed to a figure at both ends it cannot go beyond the upper or lower levels. You may be able to trick the computer into adapting to a different value by changing the resistance of a part but it will not go beyond what is written into the EPROM. The general effect is higher fuelling so if you care about economy or spewing emissions it’s best to leave it alone the gains are minimal.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #31
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
damnit
now you can be all
"Yeah, exhaust and intakes are fun and all

but the real fun is forced induction

ASK ME BECAUSE I KNOW"

I wanna be cool too :sad:
This is the way to gain power ^ it maybe be more expensive but that really works.