Good Idea 8 12.12%
Bad Idea 58 87.88%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Lifer is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Lifer's Tacoma Gallery
Thoughts on Performance Chips

Was thinking about putting one in my Tacoma. What are your thoughts? Good or bad idea? Or recommendations on some? And the one I was looking at is this one, http://www.gfchips.com/toyotatacoma.aspx
Old 04-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Here
Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #3

Lifer's Tacoma Gallery
Ya but im asking a different question than he did =)
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Waste of money
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
In what way? I'm not seeing a difference.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #6

Lifer's Tacoma Gallery
What would be a good performance chip for a 4.0L tacoma that improves gas mileage plus horsepower/torque??? Thats what he asked. I'm asking if its a good idea. And if so which would be better for my truck. not his truck
Old 04-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #7

Lifer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oowen View Post
Waste of money
But why is it a waste of money?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
The GForce chip will fry your engine. Its junk.

It just advances timing to the point of being unsafe.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #9

Lifer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
The GForce chip will fry your engine. Its junk.

It just advances timing to the point of being unsafe.
http://www.unichip.us/vehicle/vehicl...ota-Tacoma-40L So I'm guessing that one would be better?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
custom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to all

Army: 5/19 SFG(A)
custom90gt's Tacoma Gallery
All this "chip" does is change the resistance for the intake air temperature sensor so that the truck thinks it's cooler outside than it really is and it advances the timing. You could do the same thing with the proper 50 cent resistor from radio shack. Bad idea is my vote...
Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
custom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to all

Army: 5/19 SFG(A)
custom90gt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.unichip.us/vehicle/vehicl...ota-Tacoma-40L So I'm guessing that one would be better?
Go with something proven, get a URD MAF calibrator.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
I've personally never seen a "chip" in a gas motor equipped vehicle do anything. If we were talking about a diesel or maybe a turbo equipped vehicle then I would say go for it, otherwise, I'd say save your money.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
Justin, chips work well for some applications. The Buick Grand National turbos (circa mid-1980's) come to mind, but I just don't see how they'd help our normally aspirated 4.0s.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
haider320 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Detective
haider320's Tacoma Gallery
"Chips" are nothing but snake oil. "Chips" you see today do nothing. Today it's called a "tune"; in which you have a hand held programmer that rewrites the factory ecu tune. Most are safe and put out decent numbers. However, if you run into engine problems, and the dealer finds an aftermarket tune; you run the risk of voiding your power train warranty.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
RiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutRiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
RiverBoyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Thinks......thought.....my thoughts are ummm...no
Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The ONLY chips that do anything are the URD and the Unichip.
They only operate when the engine is running in open loop... wide open throttle.

The one you linked to is claiming fuel economy increase of 10% and 30hp.
It's complete bullshit.

Tipoff #1: MSRP $399 selling for $69?
Drop-ticket marketing. The most expensive part is the fancy aluminum case and the monthly fees for their web page. It's a 50 cent resistor that plugs into your MAF or IAT and throws the fuel mixture off.

Tipoff #2: You select the make and model truck, but don't specify your engine until AFTER giving them your name and address.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
dont you think that if there was an way to increase the Hosepower/gas mileage, toyota would of done that to begin with? chips work in some older vehicles and help, but since the 2000's vehicles have had one thing in mind. maximum milage for maximum Horsepower.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #18

Lifer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by haider320 View Post
"Chips" are nothing but snake oil. "Chips" you see today do nothing. Today it's called a "tune"; in which you have a hand held programmer that rewrites the factory ecu tune. Most are safe and put out decent numbers. However, if you run into engine problems, and the dealer finds an aftermarket tune; you run the risk of voiding your power train warranty.
Well I work at a Toyota Dealership so I could always just take if it off if I needed to. But from the sounds of it its just a bad idea. Maybe ill go for a TRD supercharger instead!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #19

Lifer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The ONLY chips that do anything are the URD and the Unichip.
They only operate when the engine is running in open loop... wide open throttle.

The one you linked to is claiming fuel economy increase of 10% and 30hp.
It's complete bullshit.

Tipoff #1: MSRP $399 selling for $69?
Drop-ticket marketing. The most expensive part is the fancy aluminum case and the monthly fees for their web page. It's a 50 cent resistor that plugs into your MAF or IAT and throws the fuel mixture off.

Tipoff #2: You select the make and model truck, but don't specify your engine until AFTER giving them your name and address.
Ya i thought that was pretty sketchy. Thanks for your input! Definitely not going that route!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #20
haider320 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Detective
haider320's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I work at a Toyota Dealership so I could always just take if it off if I needed to. But from the sounds of it its just a bad idea. Maybe ill go for a TRD supercharger instead!
You get a supercharger, you will still have to get a tune to accommodate for fi. Like Ford and its Mustangs(since I have a lot of experience with the Mustang); if you let the dealer do the install and install a Toyota factory tune for the supercharger; you'll be good to go on your warranty.