1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buyer's Remorse :(

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stinger86, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Aug 31, 2007 at 4:10 PM
    stinger86

stinger86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab Limited
    So had my tacoma for about 6 months now and I fully and totally regret buying it. Having come from a background of sports cars and entering a time in my life where getting a traffic ticket just isn't an option I figured a truck would be practical and keep me out of trouble. Well I defiantly won't argue that it hasn't been practical the few times I needed the bed, or that it hasn't slowed me down it defiantly has. But I must say driving it is probably the blannest and least passionate vehicle I have ever driven. Not to mention the horrendous gas mileage, I used to drive me Civic Si at redline half the time and get better gas mileage. As far as trucks go it still by far and away one of the best trucks on the market but I unfortunately should have defiantly steered clear of it. If it weren't for the insurance I'm pretty sure I'd sell it right now but can't justify the increase of costs. I'm looking forward to when I get back into a car that has pep and can take a corner at faster then 25 without the squealing the tires. Again I think for a truck its great, but as a whole I will never buy a truck as a daily driver again. Please don't take this a baiting thread, or a flame or whatever, just kind of venting and hopefully giving some insight to maybe someone in the same situation. Listen to your heart not your head b/c otherwise you wont be happy.

2. Aug 31, 2007 at 4:59 PM
    Spyder327

Spyder327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Aquamist 2D meth/water injection kit, URD Exhaust, DT Long Tube Headers, Hood Struts, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff...
    My X-runner is my daily driver and i couldn't be happier. I can take turns WELL over 25mph pretty easily without problems.

Maybe you should get the supercharger ;)

3. Aug 31, 2007 at 5:08 PM
    LQQKatmy06

LQQKatmy06 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    T-VILLE, NC
    06 SR5 V6 DC LB TRD Sport 4x4 AUTO. 3" TOYTEC 885 coils w/AALs, ALL-PRO UCAs, 285/70/17 NITTOs, KMC HOSS in BLACK
    It took me about 2 months to get used to my Tacoma, coming from a full size truck to a midsize was hard. Now that I have finally personalized it I am pretty happy. I still like my sports cars though, I have a '97 Eclipse GST I play around with and the wife has a '07 Accord EXL V6.(she wont let me mod it)

4. Aug 31, 2007 at 5:14 PM
    comadude

comadude Member

Member:
    That's why my other car is a Subaru Impreza STI. :D
    I gotta tell you though, I love my tacoma. I use it as my daily driver and I just love powering over pot holes and bumps without any worries. I actually went off a curb when I first got it.:eek: The bed comes in handy too. I hope this don't sound wrong, but in a way I feel more carefree when driving my tacoma. I don't have to worry about pot holes, steep driveways, etc, etc, police don't seem to target me either. I just get in and go.

5. Aug 31, 2007 at 5:23 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I went from a 4-door Saturn to my V6 Tacoma so it's a nice performance jump for me. Besides, if I want nimble and fast, I ride the motorcycles.

6. Aug 31, 2007 at 5:42 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    stinger86, you're comparing apples to oranges. You have to remember that this is a truck and not a low to the ground rice burner like the Civic Si. It looks like you should have gone with the XRunner if you wanted a truck. Slap a supercharger on it and it will run with a lot of the other cars out there on the road.

I've had my truck since I drov it off the dealer lot in Sept. of '98 and have no regrets. Lemme clarify that... I wish they would have something like the SRunner when I got my truck. I use my truck as a daily driver and enjoy every minute I drive it.

7. Aug 31, 2007 at 5:47 PM
    TNTaco

TNTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Super White PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    I went from a 350Z to a Tacoma Double Cab. My insurance dropped over $100/month, cops stopped watching me, and I get about the same gas mileage if I drive responsibly. I have also realized that I'm not such an aggressive angry driver anymore because everybody wasn't going as fast as I was. Now, I do miss the speed and the handling and all, but I am 150% happy that I made the change. Maybe one day I will buy a little sports car as a weekend thing, but the Taco is mine 'til it dies.

8. Aug 31, 2007 at 6:28 PM
    stinger86

stinger86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab Limited
    that's kinda my point I picked the apple and regret not choosing the orange. Well im still driving a rice burner as are the mass majority of the people on the forum, unless someone got a tacoma built by ford or something. But that's just playing devil's advocate, I kept my Si clean, no fart in a car exhaust no stupid 8" wing, no stupid stickers or bright colors covering half the car, but defiantly was tinkered with:cool:.

9. Aug 31, 2007 at 6:39 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Dude, you screwed up. You bought a truck for the wrong reason. How can you compare a 4L V6 pick up truck that hauls ass with a 1.6L Civic engine? You are comparing amphibians and lesbians. They are totally different animals.

I've owned 4 Civics and my last true love was a Subaru WRX. Now, I'm very happy with my Taco. Very Happy! I bought myself a Civic Si this July as an occasional driver but I hardly drive it because once you go truck, you cant go back. And that comes from an ex motor racer.

10. Aug 31, 2007 at 7:19 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Lets see...

86 RX-7, 89 GTI, 93 Laser RS Turbo-AWD, 94 Civic EX, 94 Legacy Turbo-AWD, 98 Jetta TDI, 01 Accord Coupe EX, 07 Tacoma PreRunner.

I have had fast cars, great handling cars, small cars, turbos, turbo diesels, boxers, rotary engines, etc... I loved every one of them, but the Tacoma serves all my purposes and keeps me from worrying about the day I get the $300 speeding ticket. ;)

I understand your wish for an orange, but your apple will serve you well. There are things that you can do to make the experience more to your liking. Suspension, tires, sway bar, intake, exhaust, and the infamous supercharger. Don't give up on it just yet. Maybe you could get a project car on the side for fun. Trust me, if you ever need a truck - the Tacoma is one to have!

Cheers!

11. Aug 31, 2007 at 7:28 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    I feel the exact same way about freaking rice burners:puke:

regardless, sorry you feel that way. maby you'll see the light at some point.

12. Aug 31, 2007 at 7:57 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    A truck is a must-have for me. I would only own a car as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle, for fun.

13. Aug 31, 2007 at 8:00 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Same here. I bought my sister's one owner del sol for a second car. It'll go up in the winter tho. I tried ONCE to go without a truck. That was a big mistake and will never ever not be without a truck.

14. Aug 31, 2007 at 9:34 PM
    socko3161

socko3161 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think the correct saying would be once you get a truck.. then think about anything else you just dont give a F**k... I went from an 89 Corolla to my 07 Taco and love every minute of it... Granted I went from driving a little car where a lawn mower could probably beat me in a race up hill to this beauty, It was well worth it... the extra 2 grand a year in insurance sucks considering I only paid 2 grand for the car.. but it lasted 3 years and I ran it into the ground... Hopefully this will last for many many years to come and I run this into the ground too

15. Aug 31, 2007 at 11:29 PM
    tacomafan

tacomafan Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    prerunner
    none yet, looking to upgrade.
    My first vehicle was a Ford Explorer and it got wrecked. The next six years I drove a Camry. I gave that to my bro and then I went to a Lexus. Then, that got wrecked cause of some idiot, and I decided at this time of my life I wanted a truck. You only have one life so why not try different things? Even though I'm pretty financially stable, I chose a pretty inexpensive truck. I always wanted a truck since I was a kid and seeing the new Tacoma reminded me of the hot wheels I used to play with so I decided to buy it. I'm 25 with no kids and I'll probably trade this truck in after a year. The only regret is that I didn't go all out and get the new Tundra. I probably would've backed into a bunch of cars anyway. Yeah so next on my list is a sports car, like an Infiniti G35 or Nissan 350Z. I plan to live life with no regrets and try everything at least once.

16. Sep 1, 2007 at 12:05 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Magna Flow stainless cat-back, 3" Toytec Lift, 32" Mickey Thompsons
    I came from a chevy cavalier. I could not have made a better choice when it came to my next vehicle. I suppose anyone will be dissapointed if they dont research the vehicle they plan on buying.
    Its like buying a chevy chevette if you want a speedy sports car. Not smart.
    If you want to pick stuff up... buy a pick up.
    If you want to drive a sports car... buy one.

17. Sep 1, 2007 at 3:48 AM
    vxtonkaboy

vxtonkaboy Member

Member:
    funny thing, i did the exact opposite. i have had tacomas/wranglers all my life and decided to buy a 07 V6 Mustang when i traded in my 04 wrangler. I love the car and driving it as well but i am expiriencing 4x4 anxiety now. i kinda wished i had gotten another taco (hence the reason i am snooping around here.) i live in Colorado and most likely going to have to buy an old taco or 4runner for the winter. I love driving the stang but miss my 4x4s.

18. Sep 1, 2007 at 8:09 AM
    TRDfly

TRDfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 DC, TRD off-road....it's the bomb!!
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    I had a kick ass Mini Cooper S, great handling, MPG, Fast as heck and I do miss it but the Tacoma handles my everyday tasks MUCH better and it can handle a winter!!

I'll have another Mini (or something sporty) someday and then the Tacoma can haul it to the track...life will be about perfect!!

I think your problem isn't the car/truck but something else, direction in life, relationship, or your perceived level of responsibility. I say this because we all go through it one way or another but blaming a car/truck is easier then looking in the mirror! Dude, if you like the Civic sell the truck, take the hit, learn a life lesson and drive more responsibly otherwise fix your other problems and wait till some kick ass Civic comes out 5 years from now. One thing I know is something cooler ALWAYS comes along if you JUST WAIT!!!!

19. Sep 1, 2007 at 9:05 AM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I've driven 4 banger compacts all my life until early this year. I traded an 04 Scion Xb w/40k for an 02 Tacoma w/103k. I have 0 regrets. I even had family members tell me I seemed like a whole different person....much happier.
    If you know what you want, get it, and you'll be a better person for it.

20. Sep 1, 2007 at 2:51 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I have to say your prioritys were a bit off, my Mom has a CivicSI up in Maine and its a rocket ship and hugs the road. However, it won't tow my boat or haul any lumber or carry a refrigerator and with those wide tires it does skate a bit in the icy weather.
    You cannot also expect a truck to handle like a sports car. Of course you could have it lowered 4" put some wider tires on it. Sort of like Ford(dare I say the word) did with there Lighting pickup.
    Your best bet is to not punish yourself any longer, just sell it and be done with it.
    I love my truck because I wanted the reliability of the Toyota name, I needed something to tow my boat with out a problem and the week I got it, my neighbor needed to haul a grass catcher, one of those things you tow behind a big lawn tractor, home from the local Lowes. It fit in the truck perfectly. Thats what trucks are for and maybe when all is said and done, a truck may not be what you need. You cannot blame that on the truck.
    Jeff
    06, V6, 6spd 4x4
    Former vehicles, 65 Vette Conv., 68SS Camaro, 396/375hp, 4spd, Honda Civic, pristine Impala/Caprice Classic., 63 Mass. State police cruiser, 3spd standard, which was good for 132mph., 96 MonteCarlo Z-34

Products Discussed in

To Top