Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Handgun Security Mods

Old 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Operator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really nice

Name: Dave
Operator313's Tacoma Gallery
Handgun Security Mods

DISCLAIMER: Check all applicable Local,State and Federal Firearms Laws before installing any of these mods.

A couple of mods I have done for keeping my firearm accessible yet secure.

Cam Lock Mod : $5.00

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Lin...3#.UX2ZybWTiSo

Safariland QLS mod: $26.00 + whatever Holster you decide to use.

http://www.holsterops.com/Safariland-QLS-19-22

Mini Tuf Box Mod $65.00

http://www.sirennet.com/tl76-119.html

Console Vault 269.00

http://www.gunsafes.com/Console-Vaul...FcdU4AodCSMAvw

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6819291

Tuffy Box $191.00

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-235-t...y-lockbox.aspx

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tall-pics.html

Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
I like the box behind the rear seat.

I went with a Console Vault for the front though - the camlock solution seems a little vulnerable to me.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Operator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really nice

Name: Dave
Operator313's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I wouldn't leave a loaded handgun in there. but I have no problem leaving a couple of mags in there.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
#3 would work in California without a CCW unless you are on K-12 property.
Loaded mags would be legal as long as they are not in the gun.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
jgunccrugby is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
jgunccrugby's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ates-mods.html

I did a different version of the vault behind the seat. It's attached to actual metal and based on the removal from my last truck it was hard to get out with the right tools.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
this thread makes me want a hand gun lol
Old 04-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
#3 would work in California without a CCW unless you are on K-12 property.
Loaded mags would be legal as long as they are not in the gun.
No it won't.
The container can't be attached to the vehicle.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
No it won't.
The container can't be attached to the vehicle.
The law states "Other than the glove box or the utility compartment"

A gunvault, bed toolbox, or some other add-on item is not "the utility compartment"... the law is referring to the center console, some of which, like the glove box, are equipped with locks.

I'm not comfortable with the Consolevault because it converts "the utility compartment" into a locking container, but something purpose-built for gun storage (or secure storage of valuables or documents) is fine.

I'm not aware of any cases that have been prosecuted, but the leadership at the CGF is comfortable interpreting "the utility compartment" to refer to a factory installed compartment, as opposed to the interpretation "a utility compartment" which could potentially be applied to a Gunvault.

I've got Brandon in my phone if needed.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
zonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
zonataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
Is that even legal anymore in Ct?
Here in Az, my AR rides in the front seat.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonataco View Post
Is that even legal anymore in Ct?
Here in Az, my AR rides in the front seat.
truth!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I like the behind the rear seat storage idea. I've been toying with that myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
I got one for Christmas, my first handgun at the age of 42 (I have a couple rifles and shotguns). Why? Always wanted one but the recent gun control attempt got me moving on it. Yup, it had the opposite effect on me like it has millions of others. Now have a CWP, too.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
The cam lock looks good, but I was still worried about someone with a pry bar. I went with the Console Vault. No worries about someone lifting my handgun now. The only drawback is the size left for storage. It'll hold my S&W 1006 but not if I have it in an Uncle Mike's soft side. So I'm in the market for a smaller gun - more on that later....

I'm so frickin' glad I don't live in CA, CT or NY. I'm not knocking anyone that does, but the gun laws there are waaay too restrictive for me.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by On An Island View Post
The only drawback is the size left for storage.
No kidding - I was a bit shocked when I saw how little I can get in there.

If i was a decent welder I'd try to build one a little more form fitting, to gain some room back.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
FRankly if the issue is compliance with a law then you live in the wrong state. We have a right to carry. The only issue is the safe security of our guns in our Tacos, not if the law allows it. Never bow to tyranny.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
jgunccrugby is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
jgunccrugby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by On An Island View Post

I'm so frickin' glad I don't live in CA, CT or NY. I'm not knocking anyone that does, but the gun laws there are waaay too restrictive for me.
Check out the laws for Mass.
You have to have a signed letter from the governor to legally transport through the state.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
FRankly if the issue is compliance with a law then you live in the wrong state. We have a right to carry. The only issue is the safe security of our guns in our Tacos, not if the law allows it. Never bow to tyranny.
Yep.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
Tacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud ofTacologist has much to be proud of
Navy: 2nd class electronic tech.
Name: Bob
Tacologist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunccrugby View Post
Check out the laws for Mass.
You have to have a signed letter from the governor to legally transport through the state.
I think NOT. There is a Federal law (safe passage act) that allows legal carry through any state as long as the gun and ammo is locked in the trunk and separated from the ammo in its own locked box and you don't stop for anything but necessities like gas and potty and your final destination allows you to legally have the handgun from the state you came from.

You may have to convince local law enforcement if you get stopped and stupidly allow for a search, giving up your 4 amendment rights, that you are complying with the law, but that is only because there are some nasty state law enforcement agencies that would rather put you to the wall than obey federal mandate.

N.J; Mass; Illinois and maybe California and N.Y. come to mind.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacologist View Post
I think NOT. There is a Federal law (safe passage act) that allows legal carry through any state as long as the gun and ammo is locked in the trunk and separated from the ammo in its own locked box and you don't stop for anything but necessities like gas and potty and your final destination allows you to legally have the handgun from the state you came from.

You may have to convince local law enforcement if you get stopped and stupidly allow for a search, giving up your 4 amendment rights, that you are complying with the law, but that is only because there are some nasty state law enforcement agencies that would rather put you to the wall than obey federal mandate.

N.J; Mass; Illinois and maybe California and N.Y. come to mind.
The federal mandate would not be an issue in California because state law is less restrictive.

I can have a loaded magazine and a gun in a Gunvault sitting in my lap. California's only restrictions on ammunition are that it may not be brought onto K-12 property, or that it may not be in a position to be fired.

Where California will screw you is if you have a gun that is considered an "assault weapon" (threaded barrel on a handgun)... there is a "safe passage" statute if you are passing through for competition shooting, but if your destination is in California, you can't bring it in.

Locked in the trunk? Can you cite the actual USC on that so I can look it up? I'd like to print that out and have it with me, just as I do California's assault weapon laws... but what do you do if you have a pickup or an SUV with no trunk?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
faststang90 is on a distinguished road

Name: dwayne
faststang90's Tacoma Gallery
i posted it on here before. i did a safe in the center console it bolts in and locks your things up i think good. i think some one would have to work to get it open or to kick it out to get your gun.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
Dwayne, that's the Console Vault I mentioned. FWIW, here's a post from my build thread that shows the install:

Vault Install

Hope this helps someone.