Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What A Dipstick

Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
What A Dipstick

Are you a victim of changing your own oil, only to check your oil level and realizing its inaccurate? Well that's me, these dipsticks suck, and I want the exact amount of oil in that damn engine the book calls for. That book is my bible and the dipstick is the devil! Suggestions for aftermarket sticks?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Just put the required by the book amount in and disregard your dipstick?

Keep track of your "proper" fill level on the dipstick and go off of that in the future.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
There are some more threads on here already discussing this. Some sanded on the dip stick to help. Search on here if you want to read more on it.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry what the dipstick says. Just put in the specified amount, and call it good.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Remove dipstick.
Wait 5 minutes for the dipstick tube to drain
Insert and remove to measure.

The tube extends down into the sump, and removing the dipstick "drags" oil up the tube. Makes for inconsistent readings if the tube is not allowed to drain.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Yea thanks for the replies, I'm just being silly tonight. But seriously, I can't disregard that dipstick, it is the eye for which sees proper lubrication. I will sand it tomorrow, and sorry, I was too lazy to search through the threads.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Is the dipstick saying too much or too little? Because you'll never get all the oil/other crud out of there.... so in theory, adding the exact capacity as stated in the bible might overfill the engine?

I usually trust the dipstick over the bible stated capacity.....but that's just me.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just dump in 5.5qts, and dump the last 1/2qt into the wife's Rav4 because at 140k she's using a bit between changes now.

1/2qt high or low is not going to cause a problem on the Tacoma.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #9

EMS:
True enough, the engine does like to consume oil so I check it regularly and just anal about oil levels. Usually I put the 5.5 in, then wait 5-7 days and check it again and it usually is thick about half way up, then thins out. So I just put another quart in today and it is reading thick all the way to the second notch, and thin about an inch above that. Not a big deal as I can drain some if I hear any engine noise, but just curious if anyone had any mods to the stick, or tips. Just more of a OCD thing I guess.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

Your 2012 shouldn't be consuming any oil yet, and shouldn't for a very long time.
My wife's Rav4 is an '04, and she's hard as hell on it with constant short trips and self-imposed stop and go driving (she seems to think that a zig-zag across a diagonal is a shorter distance than driving straight down the perimeter).
And she only burns a half quart over 5000 miles.

If your dipstick is showing oil between the marks, the level is good. It's a gauge, not a meter.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Fill with right amount of oil and use a etcher to make your own line.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman1979 View Post
Fill with right amount of oil and use a etcher to make your own line.
The problem isn't the dipstick has poor calibration, the problem is inconsistent results when checking because of the way it draws oil up the tube when withdrawn.
You end up with a heavy layer of oil below the marks, and then "spotty bits" from the marks up another foot.

Give the tube 5 minutes to drain, then reinsert the stick and the results will be much more consistent.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
____livevil____
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Remove dipstick.

The tube extends down into the sump, and removing the dipstick "drags" oil up the tube. Makes for inconsistent readings if the tube is not allowed to drain.

never even thought about this. thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Remove dipstick.

Jesus, I've tried everything it seems BUT THAT!

Thanks Rich.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The problem isn't the dipstick has poor calibration, the problem is inconsistent results when checking because of the way it draws oil up the tube when withdrawn.
You end up with a heavy layer of oil below the marks, and then "spotty bits" from the marks up another foot.

Give the tube 5 minutes to drain, then reinsert the stick and the results will be much more consistent.
This makes great sence. Thanks Rich!

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
I change mine at night, and wait till morning to check it. the 5+ quart jugs have worked well for me so far. just dump er in, start the truck to fill the filter (I hate how the v6s install upside down so that I cant fill it before starting), then leave it till morning.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

exactly what I do. if you want real accurate take it out overnight and reinsert/check in the morning.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i just let it all settle down. i have no issues reading my dipstick.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 2007 View Post
exactly what I do. if you want real accurate take it out overnight and reinsert/check in the morning.
I don't have the patience for that.... but I do have the patience to check the tire inflation or clean the windows
Old 04-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #20
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsheriff11 View Post
Are you a victim of changing your own oil, only to check your oil level and realizing its inaccurate? Well that's me, these dipsticks suck, and I want the exact amount of oil in that damn engine the book calls for. That book is my bible and the dipstick is the devil! Suggestions for aftermarket sticks?
If you live in an area with road salt, the engine will outlive the frame/body by a signficant margin.