1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ethanol-free gas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BRUCEB, Apr 29, 2013.

1. May 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    :ohsnap:

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. Nov 27, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    Polonia

Polonia Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tom
    niagara falls
    Vehicle:
    tacoma TRD
    borla exhaust
    for the past month I have been using ethanol free gas and my fuel mileage dropped from 17 to about 15. The engine runs smoother and is more responsive. I am wondering if it is worth the extra .30 cents a gallon to continue?

3. Nov 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert

It got cold too didn't it.

4. Nov 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    Damn bringing back memories, I paid .25 cents a gallon for years and that was for a long time. Including pumping it at my Grandfathers Texaco gas station when I had time, back when full service meant it. Got tired of the bronze valve guides wearing out every 20K miles on the 2F engine of my FJ55 Land Cruiser way back when so I took a 350 Chevy small block with a 4 bolt main crank, acid cleaned it punched it 10 over and built it up with a package that included a Holly 650 on top. Used pop up compression pistons that really liked 94+ octane due to the compression ratio. One of the first installs of the Man a fre conversion kits and instructions left a lot to be desired. The crane cam was ground for low end torque and I could get up to 12 mpg if I kept my foot out of the secondaries. Which of course I couldn't :)

Stuck here in Mn. with using ethanol which just plains sucks. There used to be a gas station near me which was ethanol free but they were forced to change a few years back. Hate the shit. In snow blower, truck and lawn blower. But living in the number one agriculture producing state in the US I am stuck with the crap. Glad the damn corn subside finally stopped but they are still forcing it down our throats at the State level. I grew up on a farm jerking teats in NY which was second only to Wi. back then until those happy cows in Ca. took over as the #1 dairy producing State. You know why farmers around here bend the bills on their hats? So it doesn't interfere with reaching in the mail box to grab the check from Uncle Sam and the ethanol subside. A farmer that lets me hunt his land here told me that one. He also said that geese fly upside down while flying over Iowa because there is nothing even worth shitting on except corn down there. Just saying....

5. Nov 27, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:

The reason that came to be is the milk subsidies created in the 1930s that gives higher subsidies to states based on how far you are from Eau Claire WI.

Typical well intentioned law to promote diary in all states which gave advantage to NY, VT, CA, FL, NM, WA, OR. Think it got overturned in the late 90s.

I remember $0.30 gas and dad saying "Three dollars worth of Premium" before we headed from La Crosse, to Wausau WI in the 440 powered 67 Monaco wagon.

6. Nov 28, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    You got it right worthywads. My mother talks about when she lived in Wi. it was illegal to sell margarine, they had quite the strong hold for a long time. I used to think Wi. was a far off exotic place when I was young :)

I spend a lot of time for work in La Crosse up the river corridor to Eau Claire.

7. Nov 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:

Not illegal to sell margarine, but you couldn't buy it yellow, had to squeeze yellow coloring into it. People went to MN, IA, IL and MI to get it pre colored. Butter was a higher priced luxury.

Products Discussed in

To Top