Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wheelers Offroad Leaf Springs experiences good or bad

Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
mytaco77 is on a distinguished road

mytaco77's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelers Offroad Leaf Springs experiences good or bad

I've been reading quite a bit on all the forums (including this one) about the wheelers leaf spring but, I'm getting mix emotions about the Wheelers Leaf Springs. I believe it's made by alcan. Some people experience them cracking or breaking. What are you experiences with them?

I'm trying to improve because...When I have a load in the bed (4 metal stools), I feel like the rear will hit the bump stops over some bumps so really want to improve this. I just recently installed 5100s and that seems to help a little.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
squatnbear will become famous soon enoughsquatnbear will become famous soon enough
Marines:
squatnbear's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upt...eafsprings.htm

Im looking into the above as well. I have the same prob when loaded The TSB is fail any info out there guys???
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
cfenn will become famous soon enough
cfenn's Tacoma Gallery
I'll let you know I just ordered some today
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
I run the 5 leaf since Aug 2012 and never had problems with hauling a bed full of misc crap. In fact I helped a friend move last weekend. The springs handled the weight and performed well when loaded.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
im currently running the 3 leaf aal and am impressed. I put the bolts on the spring retainers from the outside, in, and found that the end of the bolt hits the fuel tank strap. I doubt that to be a problem with the full leaf pack though
Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Super Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Grayson
Super Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the HD 3 leaf pack and its the best aal on the market as far as im concerned. On a side note i will be putting mine on the market in about a week because i just ordered Dakars( wanted more lift)
Old 05-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
OldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud of

Army: Desert Storm Vet.
Name: Adam
OldGeezer42's Tacoma Gallery
I have the HD 3 Leaf pack too, hauled my tractor on a 16' trailer this weekend ,it did just fine and truck handled better.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
Wulfy is on a distinguished road

Wulfy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytaco77 View Post
I've been reading quite a bit on all the forums (including this one) about the wheelers leaf spring but, I'm getting mix emotions about the Wheelers Leaf Springs. I believe it's made by alcan. Some people experience them cracking or breaking. What are you experiences with them?

I'm trying to improve because...When I have a load in the bed (4 metal stools), I feel like the rear will hit the bump stops over some bumps so really want to improve this. I just recently installed 5100s and that seems to help a little.

Thanks.
I bought the wheeler HD 4/1 leaf springs and installed them on my truck about a month ago. They are definitely stiffer(but not unbearable) and will increase your ride height despite the 'slightly higher than stock' claim on their website. (I found out through an email that they meant when the bed is loaded) Im guessing about 2" of lift. Now my problem is driveline vibes. So, i bought 3* axle shims; to be installed this weekend. Then i'll install a leveling kit so i dont look so raked out. Its been a 'can of worms for me' but, in the end i think i'll be happy. Just wish i wasnt misled.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Wulfy is on a distinguished road

Wulfy's Tacoma Gallery
Update: I just installed the 3* axle shims. It was a two hour job. Straight forward install. Seems like 95% of my driveline vibes are gone.