1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight Condensation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TAC1, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Apr 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello Forum,
    I'm on my 2nd set of headlight assemblies in 8 months. The originals on my '08 were faded but no bad seals. I purchased a pair on ebay (regular headlamp assemblies, nothing fancy) & they both had condensation less than 3 months later. When I received my replacement lights, I siliconed them completely where the 2 pieces meet, but I did not take apart the assembly. I just wanted to take an extra precaution. Now the right front assembly, of the pair that were warranteed has condensation also. Now I have no warranty. More than 90 days.

At this point I know that I have to buy OEM. I can get them for $117 each but I don't want to spend that now. Is it a good idea to drill a small hole in the lowest section of the actual assembly to eliminate water build-up? If so, what size hole?
    1/4"?
    1/8"

Any other ideas?
    :(

Thanks, Forum.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    GuyWithCamera

GuyWithCamera Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Tracy,CA
    Vehicle:
    Nissan 370Z
    Craigslist or the forsale section here... People are always selling their OEM headlights.

I bought a mint 09+ set off craigslist for $120

3. Apr 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish

1/32 if u wanna go that route

Ive never had issues resealing with GE silicone II............I use quite a bit of it and use a plastic grocery bag as a cheater tool....... I take a small piece of the plastic bag and rip it, then wrap that around 2 finger on mr hand.

Then, I run a bead of silicone around the top of the headlight seam and push the silicone LITERALLY push the silicone into the gap with my plastic wrapped finger/fingers. (you will see the silicone squeeze into the gaps by looking at the clear part of the light housing as u do this).

I then do the bottom seam.........then go around 1 or 2 more times b4 it gets tacky..... Then I let it set for an hour.......Then I goop that silicone around the seam again but I dont push it into the seams, I just make a LARGE flat bead around the seam for further protection.

I forgot to mention, take out ALL bulbs before u do this...........Then try to let the light housings sit overnight without the bulbs in, that way the silicone can offgas without causing a haze inside of the lights.

Wish some of u guys were closer, Id take care of ur lights for ya.

also as Alan suggested above, keep an eye on the buy/sell/trade section here......I have purchased 2 sets of OEM smoked (2009+ trd sport model) lights for not much over $100. 1 set had 30 miles on them only!

I have also bought the regular oem (non smoked) here for $100 shipped in good condition. Ive used them as retrofit housings, and also my current stock housings....I think Ive sold 3 or 4 sets here also.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    OUCH!

The OEM ones will cost me more than I was told. I guess I did not hear correctly. They will cost me $186 EACH! Plus, I have read that the some of the OEM ones have leaked also.

I'm thinking of buying a set of aftermarket ones & sealing them BEFORE I install them like Justus suggested. Though, I did the same with these & here I am. I used clear silicone but I did not do no where near as good as a job as Justus did! I will use something better to seal. Like the GE silicone that Justus mentioned. Or, is there any other top notch sealer that I can use? I don't want to take the new assembly apart. I just want to seal the entire outer section.

Justus, do you have any pics available of how they look after what you have done?

OR

I can ship them to you, Justus, & you can charge me to do what you did. Sounds like you have experience in this field.:D

I'd rather buy a new set & seal those instead of sealing what I currently have because the drivers side light has a damaged bracket. Plus, I can take my time sealing these, or having them sealed.

Thanks Guys!

5. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    BTW, which GE silicone II did you use? I "Google Imaged" it and there are many types: kitchen, bath, etc

6. Apr 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    U have a pm.......GE silicone II window/door clear

7. May 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    Something tells me ur headed in the right direction

8. May 8, 2013 at 5:15 AM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Thanks to YOU Justus!

9. May 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    hope ur happy with the lights man.........Im taking a vacation from this place tho.

You have my number dude, Im happy I was able to extend hand and do a good deed.......somehow I got some BS thrown my way from another member and Im taking a vacation.

Pretty sad huh?

no good deed goes unpunished.

ur always welcome to hit me up on the phone if u need anymore help.

~brock

10. Feb 5, 2018 at 7:32 AM
    anarion55

anarion55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner SR5
    ImMrYo's Mirror Mod, Stereo Upgrade - Power Pro 60x4 Amp/Kicker powered 8" sub/Pioneer component speakers, PassPort 8500 Radar Detector, Locking Bed Storage Cubbies, Onboard air system - Viair 450C compressor/16 gal. PVC tank/15 & 16" horns, quick-d/c air chuck in bed cubby 24" LED light Bar (mounted to skidplate)A Headlights, foglights interior lights and backup lights all converted to LED (HUGE difference)
    Mine don't leak, per se - I tried upgrading to LED elements (in place of the H4 Halogens), and the brilliant white light was amazing... but the stock weatherproofing rubber "boots" would not seal correctly on the LED fan housings. Two days later, I had rivulets of water inside the OEM light assemblies. I blew them dry with low pressure air (took hours), but after re-installing the stock H4's and sealing tightly with the rubber boots, I still have some haze inside. Short of pulling the assemblies from the truck and baking them (at low temp, of course), any ideas?

Products Discussed in

To Top