1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY leather arm rests

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by reid, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Jan 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    Before:

[​IMG]

During:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Center Console:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom:

[​IMG]

Latch:

[​IMG]

Rear Seam:

[​IMG]

I used Joann's Vinyl, it's basically a matte black. I would have preferred leather, but the vinyl was really inexpensive at around $20.00 with tax for a yard. It was more than enough to do all 4 doors and the center console.

The vinyl is very thin, and I, against the advice in this thread, used the adhesive directly onto the original cloth. If I hadn't done this, the armrests would have no padding at all. They've been on since November and I haven't had any separation on any of the arm rests. I did have extra long flaps going around the back and adhered to the plastic. I strongly suggest using the 3M 90 high strength adhesive. Note: Make sure you use a light coat on both the new wrap and the panel. It's very easy to think you need a lot of adhesive... you don't, and it's actually detrimental to use too much.

As far as the console cover is concerned, my main goal was to use little to no adhesive on the original rubbery console covering. I have a friend who has worked for Rolls-Royce and Tesla in their interior design and upholstery departments. He was the one who "designed" the console cover. As you can see, it is not perfect - by any means. In his words, a console cover like this would normally take a few hundred re-designs to get it perfect (by RR standards at least). We did this on a Saturday night in a few hours, using masking tape, sharpies, $20 worth of vinyl, and a sewing machine from the early 90's.

The one you see on the truck is the second attempt. It has some peaking at the seams, but the pictures make it seem much more pronounced than it actually is. This console cover could be made by any one who's got a sewing machine (and knows how to use it), for far cheaper than any covers I've seen online.

Good luck!

2. Jan 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Got it from a local upholstery place. One yard was $15 and enough to do all four arm rests at least 2x over.

I recommend not to do all 4 at once Do one and see how it turns out. I had trouble getting mine to stick good in the concave part kept pulling up after a few days. Ended up paying the upholstery place to do it for me and had them do the center console cover also which required stitching.

3. Feb 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    Kevindust

Kevindust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ottawa, Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB 6M 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade BBM
    Great sticky...here are pics of the OEM version (2007 Canadian Taco with factory leather heated seats):

ToyotaTacoma008_5175ee6bc0a69ee8bcc016dd34d6ff1418bbf3ea.jpg

ToyotaTacoma007_4177f5582ff210fd537a788ab30d6e7f8edefc0f.jpg

4. Apr 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    EODTech08

EODTech08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    Sub'd for future use. Good write up.

5. Jul 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    Fightman80

Fightman80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCLB Speedway Blue
    Tinted Tail lights, Nerb Bars, Tonneau Cover, Vent Visors, Hood Deflector, Foglight/highbeam mod, Custom homemade grill, Carbon Fibre Interior.
    Used 3M Super 77 before finding complaints in this thread.... definitely not a good choice! :( My second attempt, as the first time, the glue didn't work either. Gonna try 3M90 next.

Also, DON'T plastidip the front handles.... wouldn't dry, even after I added a clear coat to it. :rolleyes:

Looking into Ed's Polyester covers for the handles and maybe the center console....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...e/272833-fs-armrest-center-console-cover.html

6. Jul 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    If you like leather, check out http://www.redlinegoods.com I have their leather center console cover as well as door handle covers. All holding up very nicely after 1 year.

7. Jul 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM
    Fightman80

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tinted Tail lights, Nerb Bars, Tonneau Cover, Vent Visors, Hood Deflector, Foglight/highbeam mod, Custom homemade grill, Carbon Fibre Interior.
    I really like that! Wow! Might just be ordering a set! :)

8. Aug 9, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    jlleiber

jlleiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4
    So I've tried this a couple times and haven't gotten close to your all's results. Would any care to chime in on some tips when applying the new fabric? I've sanded the armrest, then 3M 90 to the arm rest and backside of the fabric, wait a bit, then put it on.

Maybe it's my method of laying the fabric on? If anyone who was successful wants to give me a few pointers as to exactly how you went about laying on the fabric, that'd be great! I can't seem to get the fabric all the way in the corner of the armrest ..

9. Aug 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    11TRDTX

11TRDTX bruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD TX 4x4 MGM DCSB
    Lift, 285's, mud, and scratches
    I actually didnt take the stock fabric off. I laid a base coat of the 3M adhesive and let if dry. Then sprayed a second light coat and stuck my new fabric on. Just dont spray too much or it might soak through the fabric. Just take your time. and you'll get it.

10. Aug 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Oh interesting...bet that's a little softer, but too late for me now haha

So you only sprayed the stock fabric with 2 coats, but no spray on the new fabric?

11. Aug 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    11TRDTX

11TRDTX bruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD TX 4x4 MGM DCSB
    Lift, 285's, mud, and scratches
    correct

12. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    Fightman80

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    I had issues as well.... did my 4th attempt yesterday. Used Lepage HD Contact Cement.... I'll let you all know how it holds up! :)

13. Aug 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Yep I'm running another try tomorrow with some different vinyl type material that is more stretchy than my last stuff. Hopefully will fit the contours of the armrest better. Gonna try a combo of 3M 90 and contact cement

14. Aug 24, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    Fightman80

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    Well, my 4th Attempt is a bust too.... I guess I'll be paying someone locally to do mine.... :/

15. Aug 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Fightman80

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
  16. Aug 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
  17. Sep 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    tacomasport06

tacomasport06 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Chester, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    2.5 in lift in the front (Bilstein 5100s), 1.5 in AAL, chrome grille, aftermarket head lights and tail lights, LED interior lights
    Looks great! :thumbsup: I'm going to be doing this to mine real soon!

18. Oct 31, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    SWCCBEE

SWCCBEE So Cal Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Santa Rita, GU
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner, SR5, TRD Sport
    WeatherTech floor liners, In process of Debadge, Leveling kit, Tires, Limo tint, Custom TRD SPORT Decal, "ImMrYo" Rear view lifting bar, Ultra gauge, relocated horn.
    What did you use to make it stick? I am ordering neoprene today.

19. Oct 31, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    Just the other day, I purchased one of those interior cleaning product to clean down this area. As I was scrubbing and cleaning, I thought to myself that it was a pretty dumb idea to make this section cloth. It picks up all oil from your forearm and over time the cloth just looks dirty. This is a great post that I'm adding onto my to do list.

20. Nov 1, 2013 at 1:22 AM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.

Products Discussed in

To Top