Notices

DIY leather arm rests

Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #322
Bigcanoe is on a distinguished road
Bigcanoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
Here you go (this is mine):

Perforated vinyl to match upper door panel.

Top part is the plastic upper part of the door panel and bottom is the perforated vinyl
Hey, where did you get the matching vinyl and how much did you use, looks good!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #323
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid View Post
Thanks, I have done a lot of interior work, I make motorcycle seats. It only took me 1 hour. Anyone could do it in about the same amount of time.

Leather is much easier to stretch than vinyl. Plus it looks killer.
Right on, you are in BC bro , you can hook me up on a deal for the leather, perhaps...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #325
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcanoe View Post

I looked at Joanns in Cary and didn't see it.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #326
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Before:

During:

Installed:

Center Console:

Bottom:

Latch:

Rear Seam:

I used Joann's Vinyl, it's basically a matte black. I would have preferred leather, but the vinyl was really inexpensive at around $20.00 with tax for a yard. It was more than enough to do all 4 doors and the center console.

The vinyl is very thin, and I, against the advice in this thread, used the adhesive directly onto the original cloth. If I hadn't done this, the armrests would have no padding at all. They've been on since November and I haven't had any separation on any of the arm rests. I did have extra long flaps going around the back and adhered to the plastic. I strongly suggest using the 3M 90 high strength adhesive. Note: Make sure you use a light coat on both the new wrap and the panel. It's very easy to think you need a lot of adhesive... you don't, and it's actually detrimental to use too much.

As far as the console cover is concerned, my main goal was to use little to no adhesive on the original rubbery console covering. I have a friend who has worked for Rolls-Royce and Tesla in their interior design and upholstery departments. He was the one who "designed" the console cover. As you can see, it is not perfect - by any means. In his words, a console cover like this would normally take a few hundred re-designs to get it perfect (by RR standards at least). We did this on a Saturday night in a few hours, using masking tape, sharpies, $20 worth of vinyl, and a sewing machine from the early 90's.

The one you see on the truck is the second attempt. It has some peaking at the seams, but the pictures make it seem much more pronounced than it actually is. This console cover could be made by any one who's got a sewing machine (and knows how to use it), for far cheaper than any covers I've seen online.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #327
KeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant future

Name: Keith
KeithB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcanoe View Post
Got it from a local upholstery place. One yard was $15 and enough to do all four arm rests at least 2x over.

I recommend not to do all 4 at once Do one and see how it turns out. I had trouble getting mine to stick good in the concave part kept pulling up after a few days. Ended up paying the upholstery place to do it for me and had them do the center console cover also which required stitching.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #328
Kevindust is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
Kevindust's Tacoma Gallery
Great sticky...here are pics of the OEM version (2007 Canadian Taco with factory leather heated seats):

Old 04-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #329
EODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTech08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD Tech
Name: Jacob
EODTech08's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for future use. Good write up.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #330
Fightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fightman80's Tacoma Gallery
Used 3M Super 77 before finding complaints in this thread.... definitely not a good choice! My second attempt, as the first time, the glue didn't work either. Gonna try 3M90 next.

Also, DON'T plastidip the front handles.... wouldn't dry, even after I added a clear coat to it.

Looking into Ed's Polyester covers for the handles and maybe the center console....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ole-cover.html
Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #332
Fightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightman80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I really like that! Wow! Might just be ordering a set!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #333
jlleiber will become famous soon enough
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
So I've tried this a couple times and haven't gotten close to your all's results. Would any care to chime in on some tips when applying the new fabric? I've sanded the armrest, then 3M 90 to the arm rest and backside of the fabric, wait a bit, then put it on.

Maybe it's my method of laying the fabric on? If anyone who was successful wants to give me a few pointers as to exactly how you went about laying on the fabric, that'd be great! I can't seem to get the fabric all the way in the corner of the armrest ..
Old 08-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #334
Professional Slacker
11TRDTX is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
11TRDTX's Tacoma Gallery
I actually didnt take the stock fabric off. I laid a base coat of the 3M adhesive and let if dry. Then sprayed a second light coat and stuck my new fabric on. Just dont spray too much or it might soak through the fabric. Just take your time. and you'll get it.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TRDTX View Post
I actually didnt take the stock fabric off. I laid a base coat of the 3M adhesive and let if dry. Then sprayed a second light coat and stuck my new fabric on. Just dont spray too much or it might soak through the fabric. Just take your time. and you'll get it.
Oh interesting...bet that's a little softer, but too late for me now haha

So you only sprayed the stock fabric with 2 coats, but no spray on the new fabric?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #337

I had issues as well.... did my 4th attempt yesterday. Used Lepage HD Contact Cement.... I'll let you all know how it holds up!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightman80 View Post
I had issues as well.... did my 4th attempt yesterday. Used Lepage HD Contact Cement.... I'll let you all know how it holds up!
Yep I'm running another try tomorrow with some different vinyl type material that is more stretchy than my last stuff. Hopefully will fit the contours of the armrest better. Gonna try a combo of 3M 90 and contact cement
Old 08-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #339

Well, my 4th Attempt is a bust too.... I guess I'll be paying someone locally to do mine.... :/
Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #340

Here's some interesting info.... looks like I'm using the wrong type of vinyl....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...0yCQ89Ko#t=697