Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY leather arm rests

Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
DIY leather arm rests

Here are the steps I went through to replace my crappy fabric arm rests with leather covered ones. Too many images so I will use two posts.

1. Using a small flathead screwdriver pry open the screw covers behind the inside door handle and the door latch.

2. With the same screwdriver push in on the center of the fastener that is on the door panel near the mirror. Then pull it out.

3. To remove the inner panel, you have to pry the bottom and both sides away from the door. I did this with a larger screwdriver. When this is done you should be able to remove the inner door panel by lifting it up. There are hooks underneath the window felt that hang the door panel on the door.

4. Once the panel is removed, turn it over and look at the back of the arm rest. The arm rest is fastened to the door panel with a series of small melt points. I used a 3/8" drill bit to drill down about 1/4" into the centre of the melt points. Do not drill too far because you will need enough plastic to put screws in later. The melt points are like plastic rivets.

5. Once the melt point are drilled out you should be able to pry the armrest off. Next remove the old fabric.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
6. Now cut out a piece of leather slightly larger than the original fabric.

7. Use a spray adhesive to attach the leather to the arm rest. Then cut off the excess.

8. Once it is dry, place it back in the door panel. Use #10 x 1/2" sheet metal screws to attach the arm rest where the melt points were.

9. Then all you have to do is put the door panel back in your truck the opposite way you took it out. Here is a finished picture.

Any questions, just ask. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:28 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
now, that is a damn nice looking cover man!!! im thinking i will be doing something similar very soon!!! so, about how long did it take you to do this??? btw........that black leather is friggin awesome man!!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:46 AM   #4

reid's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I have done a lot of interior work, I make motorcycle seats. It only took me 1 hour. Anyone could do it in about the same amount of time.

Leather is much easier to stretch than vinyl. Plus it looks killer.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I was going to say that we should make this a sticky, but somebody beat me too it.

Congrats, Reid, that is an awesome DIY, and it looks great!

Good job!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
damn nice reid
Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance
LQQKatmy06 is on a distinguished road

LQQKatmy06's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, I was thinking of doing the same thing but have not had the door panels off yet. Thanx for taking the plunge takes all the guess work out of it.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #8

reid's Tacoma Gallery
I have decided that I will try to do the center console arm rest and rear access cab seat back too.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance
LQQKatmy06 is on a distinguished road

LQQKatmy06's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Reid,
Do you think there is enough room to put leather over the factory cloth and get it all back in place?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #10

reid's Tacoma Gallery
You could if you used thin enough leather. The thickness of the leather is measured by weight. I think I used 4oz. leather. If you used this weight you could, but anything heavier would be too thick.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
No need to "pry" on the door panel. The word "pry" sounds painful to your plastic door panel. Once you have the mirror sail, 2 screws and 1 pin removed, just grab the storage compartment area at the bottom of the door panel and pull out real fast. It'll pop loose.

Then lift the panel up to pop it loose. Then reach under and pop the control panel loose, then hang the door panel back on the window lip to hold the door panel while you disconnect the plug from wiring harness. The drivers side controls can be hard to release. It's like a two peice harness. Then once it's disconnected you can remove the door panel and proceed.

Before you re-install the mirror sail, use your fingernails to pull out those 3 plastic clips and put them on the sail, then install the sail. If you don't remove them the sail will push the clips down into the interior of the door, and you'll have to fish em out.

Good work with the leather, reid.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #12
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKatmy06 View Post
Hey Reid,
Do you think there is enough room to put leather over the factory cloth and get it all back in place?
I doubt the adhesive would stick to the factory cloth very good. I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #13

reid's Tacoma Gallery
If you buy the right adhesive you can stick leather to fabric. I have used it before, but it is $25.00 a can.

I found the passanger side electrical connections harder than the drivers side. My drivers side only had on econnection and the passanger side had two. Plus the passanger side wires were much shorter on my truck.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #14
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
I was skeptical when i saw this thread but i have to admit i really like the look of it and it doens't look to hard to do. I'm glad this one was turned into a "sticky"
Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 AM   #15
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I was skeptical too, but it looks real nice. I don't know if I would do it, but it still looks real good.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #16
Jesse is on a distinguished road
Jesse's Tacoma Gallery
Where can you get that leather. Is it really leather, or leather lookalike?
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #17

reid's Tacoma Gallery
It is real leather. I buy my leather at a leather supply store here in Vancouver. You could probably pick some up from a fabric/sewing store or a furniture upholstery shop.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #18
tucsontoast is on a distinguished road
tucsontoast's Tacoma Gallery
Reid,

All I have to say is "SUWEEEEEET!!!" The time you took to detail the photographs and outline the instructions is greatly appreciated. I'm definitely going to perform this mod on my "YOCA" cuz I work for a living, and this will definitely be easier to clean than the factory fabric.

Thaanks Maaan!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #19
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
looks good. i'm thinking about getting some black/grey leather seat covers, so black leather arm rests would look great
Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
babrown0475 is on a distinguished road

babrown0475's Tacoma Gallery
That is lookin mighty fine. I do believe I'll be doin this!!