LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bent rear axle?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #41
tdcoly is on a distinguished road
tdcoly's Tacoma Gallery
Shoot, just let Daddy take the new truck he bought for you out for a spin, and when he comes home ask him what in the hell he did to your truck.

Misdirection.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #42
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman1979 View Post
I dont think it is possible to bend the axle tube and not bend the hardenend axle. Correct me if I am wrong but the wheel lugs are in the axle so if the tire is leaning like his is the axle is toast. You can not bend the axle itself being it is hardened steel.
Yes, it is possible to bend the axle shaft. I bought a used Toyota rear axle for my old pickup and the axle shaft was bent. I didn't know at the time but as soon as I drove it I found out.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #43
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman1979 View Post
I dont think it is possible to bend the axle tube and not bend the hardenend axle. Correct me if I am wrong but the wheel lugs are in the axle so if the tire is leaning like his is the axle is toast. You can not bend the axle itself being it is hardened steel.
You can bend the tube, and not the axle shaft, or vice versa, or both. The joys of a semi float.

OP said the rim/tire is consistently cambered regardless of where he is parked. If the axle shaft was bent, the wheel would go between positive and negative camber.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #44
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Has James moved to SC??

Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #45
ImWarren is on a distinguished road

Name: Warren
ImWarren's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Why listen to me.
I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to alignments and bent axles.
Well I didn't want to look stupid because I have no idea what camber is haha
Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #46
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Now you know why I never bought my son a new car.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #47

I just took the truck out, no vibrations as far as I can tell, and I don't really see the tire wobbling around when driving because its on the passenger side. I did notice that my alignment is off though.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #48
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Time to go talk with dad. Your going to damage more if it's not fixed.
I guarantee your dad did some stupid shit as a kid... And I'm sure he will respect you if you man up. Parents know when they are being bullshitted.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #49
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SGT, Cannon Crew Member, A Btry 1-148th FA
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImWarren View Post
Well I didn't want to look stupid because I have no idea what camber is haha
Camber:

These wheels are cambered a lot.

These are both negative camber. Positive camber would be if the wheels were tipped in the other way. Basically the top is farther out from the vehicle than the bottom is.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Time to go talk with dad. Your going to damage more if it's not fixed.
I guarantee your dad did some stupid shit as a kid... And I'm sure he will respect you if you man up. Parents know when they are being bullshitted.
Yeah, you're right. It sure is gonna be tough.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Camber:

These wheels are cambered a lot.

These are both negative camber. Positive camber would be if the wheels were tipped in the other way. Basically the top is farther out from the vehicle than the bottom is.
Wow this really helps, yes the wheel is negative camber.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #52

Actually no, I meant positive camber
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #53

So, any thoughts on what's causing this? Bent axle, shaft, tube, rim? I want to prepare myself before I take it to the shop.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #54
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
yeah listen to what others say and measure it with a level
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #55
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SGT, Cannon Crew Member, A Btry 1-148th FA
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So, any thoughts on what's causing this? Bent axle, shaft, tube, rim? I want to prepare myself before I take it to the shop.
If it stays positive I would guess a bent axle housing (what jberry posted on the other page) which should be somewhat visible to your eye if you look at the housing carefully.

I would think if you bent the wheel or axle shaft then if would vibrate a lot because it would alternate between positive and negative camber when you drive.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #56
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
In any case... It's going to be damn hard to diagnose by the pics. When you look at the axle tube does anything look out of sorts? Diff colors showing where the metal stretched or anything?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #57
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Has James moved to SC??

Lawl

I was gonna link to the James thread from TOL thread but I'm on my phone and cant
Old 04-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
In any case... It's going to be damn hard to diagnose by the pics. When you look at the axle tube does anything look out of sorts? Diff colors showing where the metal stretched or anything?
I'll have to check tomorrow, its too dark right now. I appreciate the advice.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #59
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well the mudflap is straight, the tire is crooked. That's why I think it's bent.
I think you are worrying over nothing. Your mudflap, does not, look straight but your axle Does. I think you just hit top of the ditch with mudflap and maybe bended cheap metal holding it to the bed.
I would not worry. I understand after ditch fiasco you are oversensitive. I would just ignore it or get truck for wheel alignment.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #60
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Bent something

Imwarren.
Im a dad.
Trust me, tell your dad.
Since its brand new, take it back to the dealer and have them look at it.
If you ask nicely enough, and because its brand new they may take a look for free. Let us know how u make out. Good luck.