Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bent rear axle?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #41
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Now you know why I never bought my son a new car.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #42
ImWarren is on a distinguished road

Name: Warren
ImWarren's Tacoma Gallery
I just took the truck out, no vibrations as far as I can tell, and I don't really see the tire wobbling around when driving because its on the passenger side. I did notice that my alignment is off though.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #43
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImWarren View Post
Well I didn't want to look stupid because I have no idea what camber is haha
Camber:

These wheels are cambered a lot.

These are both negative camber. Positive camber would be if the wheels were tipped in the other way. Basically the top is farther out from the vehicle than the bottom is.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Time to go talk with dad. Your going to damage more if it's not fixed.
I guarantee your dad did some stupid shit as a kid... And I'm sure he will respect you if you man up. Parents know when they are being bullshitted.
Yeah, you're right. It sure is gonna be tough.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Camber:

These wheels are cambered a lot.

These are both negative camber. Positive camber would be if the wheels were tipped in the other way. Basically the top is farther out from the vehicle than the bottom is.
Wow this really helps, yes the wheel is negative camber.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #46

Actually no, I meant positive camber
Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #47

So, any thoughts on what's causing this? Bent axle, shaft, tube, rim? I want to prepare myself before I take it to the shop.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #48
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
yeah listen to what others say and measure it with a level
Old 04-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #49
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So, any thoughts on what's causing this? Bent axle, shaft, tube, rim? I want to prepare myself before I take it to the shop.
If it stays positive I would guess a bent axle housing (what jberry posted on the other page) which should be somewhat visible to your eye if you look at the housing carefully.

I would think if you bent the wheel or axle shaft then if would vibrate a lot because it would alternate between positive and negative camber when you drive.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #50
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Has James moved to SC??

Lawl

I was gonna link to the James thread from TOL thread but I'm on my phone and cant
Old 04-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
In any case... It's going to be damn hard to diagnose by the pics. When you look at the axle tube does anything look out of sorts? Diff colors showing where the metal stretched or anything?
I'll have to check tomorrow, its too dark right now. I appreciate the advice.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #52
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well the mudflap is straight, the tire is crooked. That's why I think it's bent.
I think you are worrying over nothing. Your mudflap, does not, look straight but your axle Does. I think you just hit top of the ditch with mudflap and maybe bended cheap metal holding it to the bed.
I would not worry. I understand after ditch fiasco you are oversensitive. I would just ignore it or get truck for wheel alignment.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #53
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Bent something

Imwarren.
Im a dad.
Trust me, tell your dad.
Since its brand new, take it back to the dealer and have them look at it.
If you ask nicely enough, and because its brand new they may take a look for free. Let us know how u make out. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #54
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
"Check the centering pin on the rear leaf springs, check to see if the axle slid on the leafs."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good Advise...

OP, do you have a floor jack? or at least a friend with a floor jack?

You can check the most obvious, ie, bent rim, bent axle flange, the dang truck is so new the undercarriage is super clean, any bending of the housing would show as "stretch marks" and should be easy to see...

Jack the suspect side up lifting at the shock plate area close to the wheel, front wheels caulked both sides, put in neutral, parking brake off, spin wheel by hand, any obvious bendage/wobble in the wheel or axle flange you will see...

My bet is you may have sheared the locator pin and jacked the housing a bit out of alignment from what sounds to be a pretty violent hit...check the clearance both left and right side from tire to mud flap, are they the same distance? All you need is a tape measure...you may just be able to look, if it is obvious you will see it....unless the housing bottomed or caught on something, it probably survived...

You say the alignment is out, I figure if the rear hit the 'dip/ditch', your front end may have hit the same spot, unless the fronts made the turn and you caught the rear on the edge of a underground drain by turning to close to the edge of the road, that would cause all sorts of violent stuff to the rear end for sure.......just how hard was this hit???

Anyway, I figure you wacked the front end too and more than likely sheared the locator pin on the rear....

These things you can do on your own, but do it quickly, find out what's wrong, then fess up...
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #55
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Yea keep us posted. Here is another shade tree trick that is cheap get some white sidewalk chalk find a level piece of road or a parking lot. Next draw a one inch wide line across the tire thread and go about 100 ft and look at the line on your tire and see were it has rubbed off.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #56
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it still safe to drive? I need to be able to drive it until I think of an excuse to tell my dad.
As a Dad I have to say it: Tell him the fucking truth! Did you think of that?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #57
Granite Guru
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment. Numbers.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #58
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findus11 View Post
haha yeah but it's warantee
We always advise our customers that if not a factory defect but rather what I politely call the "human element" then they are responsible or the diagnosis...
Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #59
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I don't think you'll be able to tell from looking at the housing or eyeballing it. It's real hard to tell from pictures and I see what you're saying but if it is it's only bent a little. In my opinion, if it is bent you won't break a side gear you'll only slowly wear out tires, you'll notice it slowly wear down more on one side than the other. IMO shearing a center pin won't cause it to appear to have positive camber.

The cheapest option you can do is to go to Harbor Freight and buy a digital angle finder. Park on a level surface and check it with your angle finder, if it's not level keep that in mind for your camber readings. Then put a straight edge from the lip of your wheel to the lip on the other side straight up and down and check to see what kind of angle you have. Should be DAMN near 0.0* Just like Jason said. If you listen to anyone in this thread, listen to Jason.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #60
0311 luver
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsenordave View Post
We always advise our customers that if not a factory defect but rather what I politely call the "human element" then they are responsible or the diagnosis...
Spoken like a true stealership toady.

OP, get it figured out sooner than later. At least do as Jason suggested, and if you're still concerned, take it to the shop. Be honest with Dad and the shop. That's what an adult would ... well ... should do.