Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Keyless Entry & Keys

Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
bobbydraco is on a distinguished road

Name: Bobby
bobbydraco's Tacoma Gallery
Keyless Entry & Keys

New Here. Been reading threads and enjoying reviews. I've owned multiple Toyotas through out the years and enjoyed them all. Got my truck used in pristine condition and love my truck. Does anyone know if there is a place to get keys or remotes besides the dealer?

Thank you for your help!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydraco View Post
New Here. Been reading threads and enjoying reviews. I've owned multiple Toyotas through out the years and enjoyed them all. Got my truck used in pristine condition and love my truck. Does anyone know if there is a place to get keys or remotes besides the dealer?

Thank you for your help!
Chipped keys / Remotes - ebay is a good starting point.

Unchipped keys - most any hardware store, Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, Walmart ...
Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
don't you get like 2 keys with remote, and valet key when you buy it new, no?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
slowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired
Name: Mike
slowmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
You should get two standard and one valet key from the dealer, at least for a Toyota Certified used vehicle. Not sure about non-certified cars.

I bought a certified used Taco that came with three keys, but only one of them worked. The dealer provided two more keys and programmed them for free. The sales manager was a bit miffed, probably because I negotiated a pretty good deal and the cost of the keys ate into their margin. They should have tested the keys during the certification process! I wasn't interested in the valet key, so I have three standard keys. No remotes for my base model truck, but you should get two of them.

If you have to buy them, immobilizer-chipped keys are very expensive ($200+) at the dealer, and they can take quite a while to program into the ECU. I would ask the dealer about the labor charge for programming keys bought from ebay. The total cost may not be much different than buying at the Toyota parts counter, and you don't eat the cost of keys that don't work.

Mike
Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
Sure you do but if you notice the OP says he got his truck in "pristine USED condition" so maybe he didn't and that just might be the reason for him asking.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Maybe by valet, they meant the white plastic one for your wallet?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
You should get two standard and one valet key from the dealer, at least for a Toyota Certified used vehicle. Not sure about non-certified cars.

I bought a certified used Taco that came with three keys, but only one of them worked. The dealer provided two more keys and programmed them for free. The sales manager was a bit miffed, probably because I negotiated a pretty good deal and the cost of the keys ate into their margin. They should have tested the keys during the certification process! I wasn't interested in the valet key, so I have three standard keys. No remotes for my base model truck, but you should get two of them.

If you have to buy them, immobilizer-chipped keys are very expensive ($200+) at the dealer, and they can take quite a while to program into the ECU. I would ask the dealer about the labor charge for programming keys bought from ebay. The total cost may not be much different than buying at the Toyota parts counter, and you don't eat the cost of keys that don't work.

Mike
If you have base model truck then what needed programming? There is nothing but plain ass key for my SR5 with no keyless entry.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #9
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojeelnodnarb View Post
i have had a 2010 and now a 2013 ive never had/ heard of tacomas coming with valet keys
mine is 2010 I think I got a "third" key which is smaller than the other two. I'll have to look for it just curious now.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
MadMan is on a distinguished road

MadMan's Tacoma Gallery
My brand new 2013 only came with 2 keys and 2 remotes, no valet key of any kind.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #11
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i have had a 2010 and now a 2013 ive never had/ heard of tacomas coming with valet keys
They used too. They no longer come with Valet keys as they were useless anyway.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #12

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
No. It was a key with a gray head vice the black one.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #13
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
My brand new 2013 only came with 2 keys and 2 remotes, no valet key of any kind.
My 2011 came with two keys with fobs and a valet key. valet key is nothing but an ignition key will not lock door or unlock door.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
slowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
If you have base model truck then what needed programming? There is nothing but plain ass key for my SR5 with no keyless entry.
The key contains an immobilizer chip which communicates with the ECU. Unprogrammed keys can open the doors, but not start the engine.

Mike
Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Mike
Quote:
Quote:
My 2011 came with two Black keys, Two remotes, and one gray "valet" key. It was basically another key for the truck. My 2013 only came with the two black keys and two remotes. the dealer said that 2012+ only has the two black keys because there was no lock on the glovebox or bed...Apparently, Toyota wanted to save money...Go figure...
Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
tacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud of
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The key contains an immobilizer chip which communicates with the ECU. Unprogrammed keys can open the doors, but not start the engine.

Mike
Not base models. I made a copy of my key at the hardware store, it starts the truck just fine. No chip in it, just a blank metal key. Truck is a 2011. But op has a sport with keyless entry so his probably does have the chip.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
dealer said that 2012+ only has the two black keys because there was no lock on the glovebox or bed...Apparently, Toyota wanted to save money...Go figure...
That's what I was thinking when people said valet. Valet? There are no locks on glovebox, console or trunk. WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma4 View Post
Not base models. I made a copy of my key at the hardware store, it starts the truck just fine. No chip in it, just a blank metal key. Truck is a 2011. But op has a sport with keyless entry so his probably does have the chip.
This....no chip in my keys either. Immobilizer on mine is the unfreezable, unshootable, unsawable, unpickable clutch pedal club lock that goes really great with the steering wheel lock club deal.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma4 View Post
I'm confused now. I waited for more than an hour for the service department to "program" two extra keys for my 2010, and they said they had difficulty doing it. I have an appointment next week to have the TSB rear spring upgrade installed. I'll get to the bottom of it, for sure.

Mike
Old 05-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
jrogers329 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jrogers329's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydraco View Post

Thank you for your help!
I bought a spare remote on Amazon. I think the actual seller was remotesremotes.com. $40 and it works great!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #20

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm confused now. I waited for more than an hour for the service department to "program" two extra keys for my 2010, and they said they had difficulty doing it. I have an appointment next week to have the TSB rear spring upgrade installed. I'll get to the bottom of it, for sure.

Mike
Maybe that is why they couldn't program the keys. Just because you have a keyless entry fob doesn't mean the keys are chipped. My 2012 has keyless entry, but does not have chipped keys or the Immobilizer.