Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New Tacoma Owner, with oil leak =/

Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
ghrmember is on a distinguished road
ghrmember's Tacoma Gallery
New Tacoma Owner, with oil leak =/

so i purchased a 2006 Tacoma TRD sport today for my 16 year old son, got a really good deal on it but was aware of an oil leak it has and now after reading online, it is common for the timing cover to leak. So has anyone done it themselves? My brother has a mechanic shop and has done mechanic work for 40+ years and i have always done my own work on my vehicles and plan on doing this on my own, any tips or suggestions? will be greatly appreciated =)
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Get all the seals plenum, valve cover etc when you do it...basically everything listed on the tsb...depending on condition do the belt and water pump. By guys can do it in about 4 hours...
Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
will do! thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
oil leak

The last time I had a slight oil leak there I just tightened up the screws a little and it has not come back, 6 months ago. If I can delay it for a year or two it's worth tightening.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Well I am barely going to mess with it tomorrow,haven't had time with work but man that would be awesome,going to clean it up tomorrow and see where exactly the leak is coming from
Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You have one lucky son...
Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTRD View Post
You have one lucky son...
Thank you sir,he deserves it as long as he keeps his straight A's and has at least 100yds rushing each game this high school football season.haha
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrmember View Post
Thank you sir,he deserves it as long as he keeps his straight A's and has at least 100yds rushing each game this high school football season.haha
haha. That's awesome. Sounds like a cool ass dad. Our 2011 trail oil pan bolt has a tendency to work its way loose and need tightening.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
To Be Continued...........
KevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud ofKevbekTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Kev
KevbekTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
dont let him find out what pot is haha
Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I am barely going to mess with it tomorrow,haven't had time with work but man that would be awesome,going to clean it up tomorrow and see where exactly the leak is coming from
Looking at the motor it's on the left below the v/c usually...
Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevbekTacoma View Post
dont let him find out what pot is haha
haha, funny you say that, last year him and his friends where caught smoking pot, boy was he punished, now the wife and i will randomly drug test him and has not failed once, pot is hard to avoid where we live, 5 miles from Mexico/Texas border.haha
Old 05-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha, funny you say that, last year him and his friends where caught smoking pot, boy was he punished, now the wife and i will randomly drug test him and has not failed once, pot is hard to avoid where we live, 5 miles from Mexico/Texas border.haha
What was his debt to the household? I never did drugs, but my dad always made me do some really unpleasant chore as punishment to make me think good and hard about what I done wrong. Worked way better than grounding, my friend's parents always grounded him to his room and that was like a gift to him, all he did was sleep and watch television, turns out he is the biggest smartass today that I know. His mouth gets him in all kinds of trouble haha.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
tightened here

these bolts, just don't overdo it
Attached Thumbnails
New Tacoma Owner, with oil leak =/-456756.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
sorry for late response fellas, work has been busy but we ended up doing it last weekend, and when i say we i actually mean my brother who has well over 35+ years experience from having his own shop and it took roughly 4-5 hours, all i did was help hold tools and remove and keep him company.haha but so far its been 50 miles on it and not a single issue! really appreciate all the info fellas
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
What was his debt to the household? I never did drugs, but my dad always made me do some really unpleasant chore as punishment to make me think good and hard about what I done wrong. Worked way better than grounding, my friend's parents always grounded him to his room and that was like a gift to him, all he did was sleep and watch television, turns out he is the biggest smartass today that I know. His mouth gets him in all kinds of trouble haha.
no technology for 3 weeks, meaning, no iphone,xbox,laptop, and even after the 3 weeks the wife and i where very serious about curfew times and check his breathe when he got home and smelled his fingers and random drug test and after a while he was tired of not being trusted, changed him for the most part, so far we are good on that issue.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytacoma1 View Post
Does he remind you of you when you were his age. Lol.
sure does but he hates when i compare him to other kids so then i turn it on him and say not to compare himself to me. reverse it on him.lol