Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck "grounding" out over bumps

Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
Name: Doug
dougmays's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dougmays
Truck "grounding" out over bumps

i have a 07 Dbl. cab SR5 4x4....and there is a "bump" in the i go over almost everyday leaving work and normally its not a big deal but if i have 4-5 people in my truck, i bottom out...ie: hear the thud of the bumper stop (is that the name of it) when i go over the bump.

it happened to day and the people in my truck weren't necessarily large, i'm probably the biggest by far and i'm 230lbs. I would assume that my truck could handle this much weight going over a big bump. Does anyone notice similar performance? do i need the leaf spring TSB? other then this i dont notice any other grounding....i've carried large items in my bed and tow around a 21' open fisherman with no sagging or problems.

i know some might say "slow down over the bump"..but i was still assume the truck can handle it.

any ideas?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely get the TSB done. It'll get you new leaf springs and new TRD shocks all around.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
dougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nicedougmays is just really nice
i just saw this TSB annoucnement
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...0305-08-a.html

after i posted this. but i'm at 39,000 miles. has anyone gone over there 36,000 and still got the tsb?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
rachunter will become famous soon enough
rachunter's Tacoma Gallery
They will only do the TSB in the first 3 years or 36,000 miles. Looks like you just missed it.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
you can still add an extra leaf to the spring. that should help with the bottoming out
Old 02-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
how much does that cost? what brands? will that change the way my truck rides?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
You are not that far out of the warrenty, I would give Toyota a call. If that fails try a local dealership, sometimes Toyota will cover items under something like a "good will" move. Who knows might work, if that fails too then go for the AAL. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmays View Post
how much does that cost? what brands? will that change the way my truck rides?
it will probably make it a little stiffer but not bad. i dont know exact price but probably under 50 bucks if you put it on your self.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Fat Bob's Garage has an AAL for $39. Definitely try Toyota first, though.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
I heard that Bilstein is having a sale on their big & tall shocks.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
Several members have had the TSB done while out of warranty. Give toyota a call on the 1-800# they would most likely work with you a little more.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
PPD934 is on a distinguished road
PPD934's Tacoma Gallery
it'll make it a little stiffer but not to bad several of us have had the tsb done and then added another leaf spring and we still have all out teeth
Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
BAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to behold

BAT24's Tacoma Gallery
The sound you may have heard was your front mud flap scraping going over the speed bump. I had that happen with my 08 Double Cab Rugged Trail when it had about 1000 miles on it. I heard the noise thought WTF then backed up and went over the speed bump again with a buddy watching, sure enough it was the 7 foot long mud flap dragging. In my opinion they are about 4 inches to long. Check it out hopefully that is all it is especially if you have towed a boat before with no sagging issues... Good Luck
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
actually i dont have my front mud flaps on, but i know the sound your talking about. unfortunately this is coming from the back and you feel the truck frame hit. but what is weird about this is i've towed my boat and a 3/4ton truck ona trailer and no sack. just hard/fast hits make it slam down.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #16
BAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to behold

BAT24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmays View Post
actually i dont have my front mud flaps on, but i know the sound your talking about. unfortunately this is coming from the back and you feel the truck frame hit. but what is weird about this is i've towed my boat and a 3/4ton truck ona trailer and no sack. just hard/fast hits make it slam down.
Dude that sucks, nothing is ever easy is it. I guess I should have asked if the flaps where still on before I rambled on. Good luck with the TSB hopefully your local dealership will get you taken car of.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
well i called my local toyota dealership and they said they cant fix it for me because toyota wont cover the cost. Told me to call toyota headquarters. So i did and the lady put in a ticket for a service manager to call me. but it sounded like not much will happen because i'm out of warranty and "never complained about the problem before"

Old 02-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #18
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
are there other dealers in your area? You might want to try them as well.

Good luck
Old 02-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
It's not necessarily a bad thing if you occasionally hit the bump-stops... they are there for a reason; but if you are really hammering the bumpstops then you need to stiffen up the suspension. An Add-a-leaf should be more than sufficent.

Make sure you don't have a bad swaybar bushing or a broken shock-mount or something... those make hideous bang noises too.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #20
HOT!!
hillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
hillbillytaco's Tacoma Gallery
my pap has an 06 dbl cab sport and it had 38000 on it and toyota did the tsb no questions asked so give them a try