Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why no lock in tailgate?

Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
stanrl is on a distinguished road
Name: Stan
stanrl's Tacoma Gallery
Why no lock in tailgate?

I just purchased a 2013 Tacoma and was surprised to see that the Tailgate is not lockable. Tailgate thefts are rising here in Dallas and ask what the best aftermarket lock is? Have done a search and it seems that the Pop n Lock PL5304 is mentioned often. Is this the best? I really don't understand why Toyota doesn't add a lock to the tailgate?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate stolen > buy new tailgate. Corporate business owners?

You could install a hose clamp on it also, which is pretty cheap and very effective. Pop n lock is also regarded well on here.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota could include a tailgate lock standard and up the price $15-20 or you can go to your local auto/marina parts store and pick up a hose clamp for $2 (prefer the latter). I picked up a marine hose clamp and after 2 winters in New England zero rust/paint damage.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...w-prevent.html
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Most all worm gear clamps are SS now. Just got to HD, hardware, or auto parts store. I picked my truck up Tuesday. FIrst night I backed it up to garage door. Last night the clamp went on. Problem with locks is you have to lock it to be effective. I could never get my ex to look hers. Also get a lock for the spare. I have always locked my spares. When I sell a truck I keep the lock and cable. One night they came through my neighborhood with a Ford tool and took every spare that was not locked. I am sure they looked at mine but it was locked.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Pop n Lock makes one that locks with the truck's power locks, and/or manually. My manual lock still works fine after 4yrs with bi-annual lubing.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Hose clamp is a good idea. Pop N Lock comes with manual and power/manual. Another option is a brand called Dyno Lock. They only come with power though, no key option for it.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump jumper View Post
Most all worm gear clamps are SS now. Just got to HD, hardware, or auto parts store. I picked my truck up Tuesday. FIrst night I backed it up to garage door. Last night the clamp went on. Problem with locks is you have to lock it to be effective. I could never get my ex to look hers. Also get a lock for the spare. I have always locked my spares. When I sell a truck I keep the lock and cable. One night they came through my neighborhood with a Ford tool and took every spare that was not locked. I am sure they looked at mine but it was locked.

wait.. did you get your baja?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
you should definately rock the hose clamp mod. it was the first mod i did.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Yep hose clamp mod done on my truck last week. One less thing to worry about. When and if you do install yours get the clamp a size 20 and get the one that you can use a 5/16 wrench on.Then install it till it is just snug enough to rotate it down so you have to use the wrench to tighten it all the way. This way the scumbag cant remove the clamp with just a screwdriver.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Trd2013taco is on a distinguished road
Trd2013taco's Tacoma Gallery
manual popnlock and clamp mod .. works great only thing was you have to move the camera to the opposite side
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
doc1187 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
doc1187's Tacoma Gallery
no tail gate lock

I have a Pop n Lock for three years,with back up camera mount. No problems and an easy install. there is a video out there about installing a hose clamp.{this web site ?}
Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Pop Lock on my 2013 Tacoma OR
Attached Thumbnails
Why no lock in tailgate?-pop-lock-03-09-13.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
A simple heavy duty plastic tie will deter most theives.

I did this to my 2010...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-lock-mod.html

but never got around to it yet on my 2102.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
LoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud of
LoneCynic's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my Pop and Lock yesterday and installed it on my 2013. It even has a provision for the backup camera if yours has one. I put a hose clamp on the hinge, and installed the locking tailgate handle. I feel like that is a good double deterrent against it getting stolen now. Nothing will stop a thief if they want something bad enough, but you can at least up the odds that they'll find it more trouble than it is worth.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
Pushin' Thru Another Day
MikeTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
MikeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The first mod i did to my truck was the hose clamp. Been on there 3 years, no problems. it was a $1.00 part.. CHEAP+EASY= GOOD!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
stanrl is on a distinguished road
Name: Stan
stanrl's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Thanks for the feedback, installed the clamp and a PL5304 pop n lock latch today.