Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Harder to decide on Tonneau than Truck

Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
aucat77 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
aucat77's Tacoma Gallery
Harder to decide on Tonneau than Truck

I have a 2013 DCSB. Trying to decide on a tonneau. Way too many choices. I think I have narrowed it down to either a G4 Elite, an Extang Solid Fold or an Advantage Hard Hat. Why? Two main reasons. Most importantly they allow me to use the tie down cleats when the cover is closed. Plus they are more secure and stronger than a soft roll-up. Any thoughts or advice on which to go with?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aucat77 View Post
I have a 2013 DCSB. Trying to decide on a tonneau. Way too many choices. I think I have narrowed it down to either a G4 Elite, an Extang Solid Fold or an Advantage Hard Hat. Why? Two main reasons. Most importantly they allow me to use the tie down cleats when the cover is closed. Plus they are more secure and stronger than a soft roll-up. Any thoughts or advice on which to go with?

Can't help you on those choices, but I have an Undercover one and my tie down cleats fit just fine...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Access Limited here. Very sturdy for a soft roll up and still able to use the cleats.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
When it comes to buying a Tonneau the G4-Elite will be #1 on my list. Why? IT gets good reviews, the rail seals were redesigned and don't just use 3m tape to stay secure, and it folds up in a couple configurations. Also looks the sleakest. Some people did mention to possibly buy one from the manufacturer, since some retailers may have old, version 1 stock that uses 3m tape for rail seals.

It isn't the most watertight tonneau out there but from the reviews I read on here it seemed to only let minimal water in if any, but of course I am sure some of that comes in from the tailgate gaps also.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
When it comes to buying a Tonneau the G4-Elite will be #1 on my list. Why? IT gets good reviews, the rail seals were redesigned and don't just use 3m tape to stay secure, and it folds up in a couple configurations. Also looks the sleakest. Some people did mention to possibly buy one from the manufacturer, since some retailers may have old, version 1 stock that uses 3m tape for rail seals.

It isn't the most watertight tonneau out there but from the reviews I read on here it seemed to only let minimal water in if any, but of course I am sure some of that comes in from the tailgate gaps also.
It gets better reviews than the Undercover ones? Interesting, but am happy with mine all the way around and very minimal leaks...
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
aucat77's Tacoma Gallery
Had not thought about the Access covers. A worthy addition to my growing list of alternatives.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aucat77 View Post
Had not thought about the Access covers. A worthy addition to my growing list of alternatives.
In case you change your mind and consider roll up covers, Access gets my vote. I have the Access Literider for $280 and you can use bed cleats.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the Access Literider too. I don't like how the fold-ups block the rear window when fully open (I need to see to back up boat).

The other styles that roll into themselves take up bed space that I don't want to lose (short bed) and/or lose ability to use rail system.

Access is not as secure because you can cut through it, but "out of sight, out of mind".
Old 05-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
TieDie
Tiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the roughTiedie is a jewel in the rough

Tiedie's Tacoma Gallery
Call truck alterations talk to Luke.Just ordered the G4. And got a great deal I feel. Will let you know after installed.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
I have the G4 Elite, and i love it! No need to install lock on tailgate, cover locks itself to the tailgate, big plus, in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Jonah is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Jonah's Tacoma Gallery
Another happy G4 Elite owner here. Very minimal leakage, only during really heavy downpours, and even then just one or 2 small drips. It doesn't block the rear window because the back 3 sections fold flat on the front section. For me, this is plenty of bed access 99% of the time. When I need the whole bed, it takes less than 5 minutes to remove 4 bolts and lift the cover. I can easily remove and reinstall the cover by myself.

It may be pricey but you definitely get what you pay for.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Talk with Scott and he will get you the right cover for your needs, and they give us member's a discount as well, and are great to wirk with...

Scott Nauman
TRUCKADDONS.COM
1.800.388.8637 xt 1167
scott@truckaddons.com
Mon-Fri 1-9pm EST

1098 East New Circle Rd.
Lexington, KY 40505
Old 05-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
I have the truxedo lo pro qt roll up and really like it. You can use the factory bed rail cleats still but their use on the sides does become limited but doable.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
My tonneau is a soft folding model that allows me to use the tiedown cleats. I just like it better because it is so easy to take off and put back on.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
aucat77's Tacoma Gallery
Kinda surprised myself. Decided to go with lo pro qt. Checked it out at a local store and read a ton of reviews. I think I got a killer price.... $346 delivered at Truckaddons.com. They have a price match with a 5% beat which they honored. Also picked up the new premium black colored pop lock (PL5304) for $54. Most places were at $52 for the older PL5300 and wanted more for the 5304. Thanks for all the input.... very helpful & much appreciated.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #17
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the LoPro QT for three years and hated the fit and the clamp mounting design, so finally got fed up with it and replaced it with the Access LiteRider. 100% better in every way.

However, I may have had an older version, and newer ones fit a lot nicer. Hope that is the case for you. If you care, post some pics after install, I'd be curious to see. Good choice on the lock. Yes, the toneau can be cut through, but as someone mentioned before here, out of sight, out of mind.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
aucat77's Tacoma Gallery
Cover should arrive next week. Will try to take pics of the install & post.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Can't help you on those choices, but I have an Undercover one and my tie down cleats fit just fine...
What Undercover do you have?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
Fms is on a distinguished road
Fms's Tacoma Gallery
I have an undercover flex and love it but cannot use the cleats