1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 vibrations at high speeds

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 13Greysled, May 2, 2013.

1. May 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    13Greysled

13Greysled [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint
    Hi, im new to tw, just bought my 2.7 a little more than a month ago and ive been having little vibrations from the steering wheel at speeds around and above 60mph.

I went to the dealership last week after i first noticed it and since they were about to close, the service tech was only able to look the wheels over and he mentioned that there are little dents in the tire thats probably causing it.

I am currently at the dealership and when i got here a diff service tech said the dents are normal and its probably a balancing issue, so they are looking taking care of that.

But im wondering does anyone else have the small dents in thier 2nd gens tire from the factory, is it normal? I will be taking a test run on freeway after, but was curious what everone else thought of this issue.

Thanks in advanced

2. May 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    Welcome to the steering wheel shake club. Are the tires the shitty Dunlops? If so, those dents are normal. My Michelin's have some dents too on the sidewall. I hope you have better luck getting rid of your shake. Do you have the steel rims or alloy rims? I'm switching to TRD off road rims to eliminate the rims as a cause for the shake above 60 mph. Good luck!!

3. May 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    13Greysled

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint
    Yep oem dunlops. If it persist after this i will def ask them to swap... brand new vehicle shouldt have issues if u ask me.

4. May 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    13Greysled

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint
    Seems to have mostly taken care of the issue. Very tiny bit vibration still, might be partly from crappy roads on i5. Thanls for responding guys.

5. May 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    had the same thing
    partly due to tires flat spotting while sitting in the lot for months.
    took a couple days of driving for them to smooth out.

still had residual vibration - they found both front wheels had been bent - either at the factory or in shipping. they had to replace these before balancing.
    this got almost all of it out. still a small bit left , but not consistently

month later, all is smooth.

Not sure how much was related to wheels or balancing, but that was a factor.

Largest factor was the tires had taken a near permanent 'set' from not moving for months.

Products Discussed in

To Top