Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Input on switching from BFG AT (E) to Duratrac (C)

Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
fireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud of
fireroad's Tacoma Gallery
Input on switching from BFG AT (E) to Duratrac (C)

Looking for input on folks that run 265/75/R16s and made the switch from BFG Ats to Duratracs. I've been a long time user of BFG ATs and they are a fantastic tire. Over the last 12 years I've used just about every offroad tire on my 1/2 and 3/4 ton work trucks and I've settled on BFG AT due to their traction, reliability, and toughness. I work for the Forest Service so I put about 30k mi a year off road on those tires.

I ditched my stockers last week and ponied up for a set of the BFG ATs in 265/75/16. Way back when these were offered in a load range C, but now you can only get then in E. With the load range E and the 3 ply sidewall I expected them to be stiff...but these are unbearable! Extremely stiff both on and off road. I have played with the pressures and by the time I get them pliable enough they start to get squirely. A dcsb trd OR tacoma with a 300 lb camper shell is just way too light for these tires.

Since I've only had these for just over a week I'm going to hit up Discount tire on their "satisfaction guarantee" and see if they will swap them out for something in a load range D or lighter...preferable C. Not interested in a P rated tire, they just don't hold up to the sharp rocks and other nastiness found in the New Mexico desert and mountains. Looks like my best choice would be the Duratrac. I'm looking for input from those that have made the switch as to what I can expect. Softer ride? More road noise?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
we have the load rance c BFG AT on our family 03 tundra.. have you tried loosing a little psi? might help alot. I have been a BFG AT fan since I got them on my first car/ truck.. great tire.. I almost went with them agian, but I decided to give the duratrac a try.. they only sell load range e on the size I run.. but goodyear does not follow the same ply ratings as others.. so its hard to compare..
in any event.. after being happy with many sets of BFG AT's... im now even happier with my duratracs.. we even put them on my wife's FJ.. and the reported mileage people are getting with them is outstanding.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
firestone destination AT comes in load range C and has been a damn good tire for me and gets good ratings on tirerack
Old 05-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
bafogels is on a distinguished road

bafogels's Tacoma Gallery
I made that switch with a different size tire. Definetly happy with the duratracs
Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
firestone destination AT comes in load range C and has been a damn good tire for me and gets good ratings on tirerack

^This... Around 30k on my Destinations and a LOT of tread left...have not been disappointed in any shape or form with the tire...
Old 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
...Not interested in a P rated tire, they just don't hold up to the sharp rocks and other nastiness found in the New Mexico desert and mountains. Looks like my best choice would be the Duratrac.
Just a heads up, I've seen some complaints from TW members about the Duratrac's 'weak' sidewall. I run them in the C load and absolutely love them so far.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Just a heads up, I've seen some complaints from TW members about the Duratrac's 'weak' sidewall. I run them in the C load and absolutely love them so far.
didnt see that, but ur def right..........Ive seen a few complaints about the sidewalls, good eye
Old 05-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i've had BFG A/Ts on my past two trucks (2000 tacoma and 2007 tundra) and made the switch to Duratracs on my current 2004 tacoma and could not be happier. Smooth riding and not too noisy on the highway. much superior performance in the snow/slush than the BFGs. i'm definitely sold on the duratracs!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
fireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
we have the load rance c BFG AT on our family 03 tundra.. have you tried loosing a little psi? might help alot. I have been a BFG AT fan since I got them on my first car/ truck.. great tire.. I almost went with them agian, but I decided to give the duratrac a try.. they only sell load range e on the size I run.. but goodyear does not follow the same ply ratings as others.. so its hard to compare..
in any event.. after being happy with many sets of BFG AT's... im now even happier with my duratracs.. we even put them on my wife's FJ.. and the reported mileage people are getting with them is outstanding.
I started with 40 psi cold and have slowly been moving down. Last cold fill was 36 and i will drop them down to 34 tomorrow morning and try them for a couple days before I make a decision. Most of what i have read saif 32 would be too low for this size and load range.

A load range C is a big difference from an E...On my previous truck I went from E down to D on the BFGs and the ride was night and day better.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafogels View Post
I made that switch with a different size tire. Definetly happy with the duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
i've had BFG A/Ts on my past two trucks (2000 tacoma and 2007 tundra) and made the switch to Duratracs on my current 2004 tacoma and could not be happier. Smooth riding and not too noisy on the highway. much superior performance in the snow/slush than the BFGs. i'm definitely sold on the duratracs!
Did you guys go from load E BFGs to C Duratracs? How was the ride on gravel roads? Did you feel the sidewalls were less stiff?

I stopped buy DT and they are willing to switch out tires... but they recommended against the Duratrac. Salesman and manger both said I would not see any improvement in ride comfort, likely a decrease in handling, and increase in noise. Their argument was that, while the Duratracs are a 2 ply sidewall, the sidewalls are kevlar making them just as stiff. They also said that while the tread was "6 ply rated" it's not actually 6 plys but 5 stronger, stiffer ones. If I go with the Duratracs and I am not happy it's too bad cuz I would be stuck with them.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Alexfiggy is on a distinguished road
Marines: Corporal MALS 39 ord 3 maw
Name: Alex
Alexfiggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I started with 40 psi cold and have slowly been moving down. Last cold fill was 36 and i will drop them down to 34 tomorrow morning and try them for a couple days before I make a decision. Most of what i have read saif 32 would be too low for this size and load range.

A load range C is a big difference from an E...On my previous truck I went from E down to D on the BFGs and the ride was night and day better.
I run 33x10.5x15 bfg at at 27 to 29 psi . 265 70 r 16 factory psi is 28 to 29 it's onli a inch shorter than the tire you have now.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Up until this week the last time I ran BFG ATs was on a 1980 F150. I dumped them after 5k and 3 flats. They were not good in Tx black gumbo. I put Duratrac Cs on my 2009 prerunner and really liked them. Discount mistakingly but a set of MTRs on when i was supposed to get Duratracs. Talk about a noisy tire. I ran the Duratracs through cactus, rocks, and mesquite on hunting ranch for 2 years with no problems. Picked up a new Baja this week and when the time comes for new tires it will be Duratracs. They are almost a mudder but much quieter and better ride.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
DO ITTTTT!!!!!!
I get my new duratracs tomorrow!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I know this first hand... The bfg at has no where near the traction in sloppy stuff including snow as the Duratracs.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
So can anyone confirm that going from the BFG E to the Duratrac C will result is a softer rider? Discount Tire says no, ride will be just as stiff, but would love to hear from someone who has tried it.

To complicate things, setting my current tire pressure is turning out to be difficult. During my 12 mi commute I experience 2,400 ft elevation change and 10-20 degree temp change so my tires will gain upwards of 5 psi by the time I make it down the mountain
Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
For the Duratracs I heard 36 psi was about spot on.
Try setting around 35psi when at home.
Then it can rise to about 37ish at your work.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
Bad Spuller

Quote:
So can anyone confirm that going from the BFG E to the Duratrac C will result is a softer rider? Discount Tire says no, ride will be just as stiff, but would love to hear from someone who has tried it.

To complicate things, setting my current tire pressure is turning out to be difficult. During my 12 mi commute I experience 2,400 ft elevation change and 10-20 degree temp change so my tires will gain upwards of 5 psi by the time I make it down the mountain

sorry, I cant.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTRD View Post
For the Duratracs I heard 36 psi was about spot on.
Try setting around 35psi when at home.
Then it can rise to about 37ish at your work.
Don't have the Duratracs (yet) but if I were to set my BFGs at 35 at home they would be about 40 when I got to work.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
Thats not too hard to believe.
Not only are you decreasing altitude, but your tires are going to warm up on the way down as well. So you may be comparing a cold reading to a warm one.
Have you checked your psi before leaving work to come home for a cold reading?
It would be good to know cold psi's at both locations.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Wow. Seems completely logical that the ride would soften. I run BFG atko in 265 70 17 Load C. I like them. I would be very hesitant to run an E or even D. I find these plenty stiff on a Tacoma