Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Chris b.
western88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
western88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
does that ever come in handy?
that things work well? what about traveling point a to point b ? does it get there without error? finally where you get that gps?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
First, why does anyone need a radar detector in the first place? It doesn't help. If your speeding, they will know before you get the alert anyways to its useless.
This is true only for instant-on radar and of course lidar. Lidar has other countermeasures available (like a massive LED light bar with IR output).

Quote:
And even if you do get the alert in time, once they see you rapidly decelerating or brake lights, your screwed anyway. If you drive like a normal person an not a moron you shouldn't need a radar detector.
Around where I live, the posted speed limit is lower what's considered reasonable and prudent, to an extent that the majority of traffic moves 10-15 mph faster than the limit.

To the OP, you know they sell weather-hardened external radar detectors, right? Pricey as hell though:

http://www.amazon.com/Beltronics-STi.../dp/B004TBI0RQ

Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #23
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That makes sense, I understand your logic, the problem is I'm willing to bet that easily less than 5% of people who buy a radar do so for purposes like you mentioned. People buy them to get away with breaking the law, and I have no sympathy for people who they to 1 up law enforcement and be sneaky. Just my opinion though
Oh I agree with you and you are probably right. I didn't buy mine so I could speed. I bought mine for travel and to keep me under the speed limit. But you're right... I'm probably in the minority.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #24
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by western88 View Post
that things work well? what about traveling point a to point b ? does it get there without error? finally where you get that gps?
Yes it works very well. Took it to Colorado last month and it took me everywhere I wanted to go without error.

Got it Here
Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #25
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im not a cop
With all due respect, if you're not a cop, I don't think it's kosher to say things like this ...

Quote:
Oh and from an officer perspective, if I t-stopped a vehicle for speeding, you MAY get cited depending on your attitude and the current conditions. You WILL get cited if I saw a radar detector on your dash, guaranteed! Its an instant ticket if you do get stopped.
... Which implied you were a cop and speaking from personal experience.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #26
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
^ BINGO!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
metrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
metrick1215's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to try something different.. and i was bored.. i work 24/72's now so i have 3.5 days (when im not scheduled at my part time job) to just chill so i get bored easy... Just thinking outside of the box.. but i hadnt thought of the having no reception behind me.. that may bring this project to an end... like i said im only out 7 bucks... but i still have half a sheet so maybe ill find something else for it...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a cap... The rear radar is crap anyways...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #29
I'm undefeated in the UFC.
PerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pepe Silvia
PerfectTekniq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh and from an officer perspective, if I t-stopped a vehicle for speeding, you MAY get cited depending on your attitude and the current conditions. You WILL get cited if I saw a radar detector on your dash, guaranteed! Its an instant ticket if you do get stopped.
Thank god you're not a cop.

Wish you got pulled over when you were spotted by another TW member doing 100mph trying to catch up to another car to get the plates.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #30
Peanut Butter and Jaaaaaaaammmmmmm!!
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry Officer
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh and from an officer perspective...
Quote:
Im not a cop, but im saying if i was and i stopped someone for speeding, if its something simple like 5-10 over then chances are youll get off with a warning. But if I saw a radar detector, I'd write the speeding cite guaranteed. You right in that it's not illegal to own a detector, but having one implies your trying to be sneaky and get out of trouble. So yeah I'd write the ticket for sure. A few cops I know told me thats how they feel and it made sense so I agreed.

I'm not sure I understand where personal opinions on products in a vehicle triumph an individuals need for a specific tool.

Same logic implied, does this mean I could (If I was a LEO) pull over a car for their exhaust/wheels/aggressive body kit and give them a ticket for street racing, because I feel that the intention behind the product is illegal street racing?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #31
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
Op that's ridiculous but creative.
Sell that unit and buy a 9500ci, install the right way. Great tool when used w common sense. Not a big speeder but it sure helps in certain situations.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #32
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I was gonna do something like that to mount mine to my bike, but decided it was gonna be way too big and now I just take the detector off if it starts raining. I don't like riding in the rain anyway. I did attempt water-proofing the smart cord thing since it's permanently mounted to the bike. It didn't work (I can see condensation inside the lights) so I guess we'll see how long it lasts.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #33
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.hornstra View Post

I'm not sure I understand where personal opinions on products in a vehicle triumph an individuals need for a specific tool.

Same logic implied, does this mean I could (If I was a LEO) pull over a car for their exhaust/wheels/aggressive body kit and give them a ticket for street racing, because I feel that the intention behind the product is illegal street racing?
Despite that posters specific history....Lots of cops will legally pull someone over for speeding and if they try to make excuses or have a detector will issue a ticket when they might not otherwise, as it demonstrates your intent to speed and avoid getting caught.

And I would argue that there is never NEED for a radar detector - Go the speed limit and you don't have to worry. A detector won't prove a cop wrong if they falsely accuse you. Speed and you are now exercising your opinion that the laws don't apply to you.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #34
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
This is true only for instant-on radar and of course lidar. Lidar has other countermeasures available (like a massive LED light bar with IR output).
Totally impractical from the perspective of cost. Cost to buy, and cost to maintain as longevity is a factor in that nanometer of light, in other words it would "burn out" quickly.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
And I would argue that there is never NEED for a radar detector - Go the speed limit and you don't have to worry.
Nope... You're correct. There is no NEED for a detector I completely agree. I don't even do the speed limit most of the time which is some of the reason for my decent mileage that I get in my truck (my wife gives me hell all the time about it). But I do own a detector and it has saved me while traveling in unfamiliar places or if your mind begins to wander (we are all guilty of this I don't care what anyone says). A detector will only work effectively if there are cars in front of you that are also getting detected. My detector has picked up radar well over a mile ahead on flat land on the freeway. It caused me to look down and make sure that I was going the speed limit. If you are the only vehicle on the road and a cop turns on his radar all your detector is telling you is you are about to get a ticket. I have my laser portion turned off on mine as it will do no good because the officer is pointed directly at your vehicle and even if it were to go off it is way too late to make any sort of adjustments.

Funny story... I have about a 40 min drive into work every third day. It is all back road through the country and there are about 3 different places that a County Sheriff will sit. I travel this stretch enough to know where he could be (not that I speed anyway). I rounded a corner the other morning and sure enough he was sitting there. As soon as he saw me he flipped on his radar and my detector went full blast for about 2 seconds and then it was gone. You could almost tell the officer was like "ah.. fuck it" since I was going about 10 miles under the speed limit and he just shut it off. It was kind of funny to me. I love my drive into and home from work. I am almost always the only vehicle on the road and the drive is beautiful through farm land and towards the end mountains. Why the hell would I want to speed? Besides... I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere.

I look at detectors like this. If it saves you from 1 ticket it has paid for itself.

JMO.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #36
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post

Holy crap, that's a lot of stuff going on there! Are you sure you have a beautiful drive to work? All I can see is a windscreen full of gizmos and shit...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #37
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
So you saying you would give someone a ticket even though a radar detector is perfectly legal??? Aren't you supposed to protect the law? And not cite people based off your personal ideals?

P.s. thank god we are allowed to challenge a ticket in court..With ideals out there like this . I've fought every one and won

Radar detectors are illegal in VA. Not where you live but they aren't legal everywhere...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
Holy crap, that's a lot of stuff going on there! Are you sure you have a beautiful drive to work? All I can see is a windscreen full of gizmos and shit...
It's not that bad in person. I've got plenty of shit to play with no doubt though
Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #39
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
I've got a buddy with a 08 4Runner on 34's and he doesn't have the speedo recalibrated. He uses his detector as a speedometer since his is about 4-5 MPH off. Now when he's in his Supra or FR-S it's a whole other story
Oh that's a real good ideal! He would be much better off with a GPS.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #40
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
It's not that bad in person. I've got plenty of shit to play with no doubt though
To each his own...I would go ape shit driving like that. I prefer nothing in my field of view, other than the road. Pet peeve, I guess...nothing on the dash, or glass...mirror pinned to headliner (thanks Mr. Yo)

Products Discussed in this Thread