Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who's Installed URD TOB Upgrade/Repair Kit?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
kyakovich311 has a spectacular aura aboutkyakovich311 has a spectacular aura aboutkyakovich311 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kris
kyakovich311's Tacoma Gallery
Who's Installed URD TOB Upgrade/Repair Kit?

Obviously I'm sure many of you are aware of the squeeky clutch issue regarding the TOB on the 2nd gen 6-speed Tacoma's. I'm strongly considering installing the URD TOB Repair kit but I'm interested to here if the kit successfully fixes the problem. Any feedback from those who've tried it would be great. I was 100% on board until I read a post yesterday from a guy who tried it and claimed that it didn't work. Thanks TW'rs!!

http://urdusa.com/p1260519023/Throwo...duct_info.html
Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
I have it, 30k plus miles later still good
Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudhawk View Post
I have it, 30k plus miles later still good
I have 50K on mine, no chirp yet. It was a major PITA to put in, especially with my DB lift but am glad I did it. Suggestion: Rent a trans jack, spend a whole weekend, and buy a few buddies some Chipotle. It takes 5 secs to put the new bearing/sleeve in. Takes hours to get to the bearing lol

Edit: Okay, I exaggerated a bit, its not that bad lol
Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyakovich311 View Post
Really??? No squeezing at all??
Yes sir, doing great
Old 05-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
kyakovich311 has a spectacular aura aboutkyakovich311 has a spectacular aura aboutkyakovich311 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I have 50K on mine, no chirp yet. It was a major PITA to put in, especially with my DB lift but am glad I did it. Suggestion: Rent a trans jack, spend a whole weekend, and buy a few buddies some Chipotle. It takes 5 secs to put the new bearing/sleeve in. Takes hours to get to the bearing lol

Edit: Okay, I exaggerated a bit, its not that bad lol
Yeah. I've actually been considering it for a while but didnt want to attempt it in my driveway. its my daily driver and can't have it out of comission for too long. I have a friend who's uncle owns a shop and said he'll help me out with labor so I'm like, AWESOME!!! I'm excited about it! It's the only thing keeping my truck from sounding brand new haha!

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone! I'm glad it's working out for you guys. I feel better about spending the $225 to buy the kit (which is insanity expensive!) Does anyone have any coupon codes for the URD website?

I'm also planning to replace the clutch while its apart. Any suggestions on a good replacement. I was looking at the URD stage 2 clutch, OME kit or the Exedy clutch kit. I don't do any offroading, except for an occasional fire road so I don't need anything fancy; just something that gonna last me a while. Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is over two years old and roughly 25 - 30,000 km on it, and still flawless. Took me about 6 hours on my gravel driveway with no rushing, but then again, I'm a commercial truck mechanic with my specialty being transmission and other powertrain repair. If you are the DIY type, planning for the whole weekend is good advice, these things tend to take longer than expected, and feeling rushed makes it take longer, adds to the frustration level, and increases the chances of costly mistakes.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
Mine is over two years old and roughly 25 - 30,000 km on it, and still flawless. Took me about 6 hours on my gravel driveway with no rushing, but then again, I'm a commercial truck mechanic with my specialty being transmission and other powertrain repair. If you are the DIY type, planning for the whole weekend is good advice, these things tend to take longer than expected, and feeling rushed makes it take longer, adds to the frustration level, and increases the chances of costly mistakes.
Thats very good advice. I've contomplated tackling this project so many times and if my truck wasnt my only means of transportation, it'd be game on!! This job would definatly involve me stepping outside my comfort bubble a bit and I'm sure id need at least a couple of days to do it provided I don't run into any hick-ups.