I detailed my install in an off topic thread in lighting subsection, but here's the info under a more concise searchable title...
I wanted bed lights that were triggered and controlled by the dome light (ie: doors). anything less i deemed a PITA, i'd forget them and drain the battery. i often haul gear with the tailgate down, so a tailgate plunger switch was out of the question as well.
i didnt over think matters, regardless of the debate about putting a 2 amp led ribbon on the dome circuit that's controlled and fed via the ECU, didnt bug me once i just decided to get over it and just get on with doing this.
special thanks to TW member Kulahaga for his assistance helping me plan this.
first stage will take about 3 hours... or less...
remove a-piller, drivers side kick panel, and the door sill trim back.
i tapped the blue wire in the large connector in the a-piller, thats the variable ground from the ECU. for + i used the always on door locks fuse in the top right corner of the cabin fuse box with an add a circuit.
ran the wire down, along the door wire channel under the door sill trim. there are several ways to get to the back and out of the cab. i did mine a little differently than those who went through the floor grommet. under these sills are holes open and exposed. if you look under the truck there are plugs in the threaded bolt holes where running boards bolt to the truck. (i dont have them and dont plan on having them). i simply passed the wire through this hole out the bottom to the chassis, its a factory hole thats open just sitting there. i sealed both sides of the hole with Butyl (available in autoparts store). super handy for stuff like this. ran the wire back along the chassis in a 3/8th wire conduit, up into the tail light, into the rear fender / bed cavity, drilled a hole through the bed box and installed a grommet for the wire pass through.
i used 18 AWG wire that i bought at West Marine, its marine grade wire (weather/oil resistant), thats two conductor stranded, and its encased in a heavy protective jacket. about .50 a foot called "safety wire" (yellow and black). i needed about 25 feet. and 10 feet of plastic conduit tubing. This type of wire inside the plastic wire loom will hopefully outlive the truck.
Part II of my install, now that the hard part is done the rest will take all but 30 minutes.
against my better judgement i decided to give tape a try this time. in my last truck i secured the ribbon with stainless fasteners. i will go that route of the tape doesnt hold up... i used 1cm x 7 foot strips of double sided 3m exterior body tape. and affixed the ribbon to that. made the electrical connections. and everything works i couldnt be happier.
made the connections with weather proof quick disconnects, 1/8" wire loom and 1/4". heat shirked the electrical connections and secure them.
the fact these operate with the dome light makes life so much easier. this is the only way i'd do this mod.