Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How Big of a coffee pot can I power

Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
date joined 03-18-2009 this is my new ID
Glamis is on a distinguished road
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
How Big of a coffee pot can I power

I'm looking to power a coffee pot / maker off my in bed power. I had a 12V one for years. It will not keep up with my now wife's and I's coffee needs.
How big can I go or what is one that work best for you? My home coffee takes to much power.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
can't be done with AC, even the smallest coffee makers draw >600 watts.
stick with the 12v models out there
----

you'd need to use an aftermarket inverter that has a minimum of 650 watts
and more likely 1000 watts...hell most one cup makers use 1450 watts...

better get a small gas stove to boil water and use a gravity coffee maker

---
the power in the bed is best to charge batteries or power laptops, music equipment, air bed inflators...
but for devices that heat things, they usually draw too much power
Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
McTrauma is on a distinguished road

Name: Daniel
McTrauma's Tacoma Gallery
The bed outlet (I'm assuming that this i how you want to power the coffee pot) is rated at 400 Watts. Since you will be running AC power at approx. 120V, that gives you 3.33 amps to play with (400w/120v). So, you can power any coffee pot that draws less than 400w AND under 3.33 amps.

*this is assuming that nothing else is drawing power, and that I did the math correctly.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info. Looks like we may just have to get a Honda 2000 and be done with it. I'll have to tell her she can have coffee camping or that new AR she has been asking for. We have a stove top one we both are not fans of it.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamis View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like we may just have to get a Honda 2000 and be done with it. I'll have to tell her she can have coffee camping or that new AR she has been asking for. We have a stove top one we both are not fans of it.
I have a Honda EU2000i, and while it's a great generator, I wouldn't buy one just for coffee. Have you looked at a JetBoil for heating water? It'll boil two cups of water at around two minutes. They make a French press for it. There are other hi zoot camping/backpacking options, too.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, If it's mainly just for coffee, I would just get a standard percolator pot and a two burner Coleman propane stove that uses the portable gas bottles from Walmart. Bring a couple pans then you can cook other stuff too.

Not sure if you will be camping near others, but around here, the folks that are purposely camping in the quieter areas with no electric hookups tend to get perturbed when someone cranks up a Honda nearby.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
If I got the EU2000i it would be for more then just coffee. We have just been putting it off. The in bed power has worked grate for most of are small things that need power. I would like to bring my air compressor and power some lights. We have ATVs and side x side so it just may be time to bust out the cash and get one. My box trailer has 30amp beakers, with wall out plugs and lights. I'm still going to look for something that will work off the bed power. We try to camp on the cheap so we can go more.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
I have a spectacular aura
Bryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud of

Bryan139's Tacoma Gallery
You can run a bigger pot, it just takes a year and a day. Before I knew the in's and out's of my truck I had entered into a surf fishing tournament. Bought a $10 coffee pot looking to make coffee on the beach never once thinking about watts or amps, plugged it in, and made coffee a hour later. Turned out to be 1000 or 1200 watt pot. It did make coffee though, hot coffee, not the hottest, but it worked. If you have a coffee pot already just try it in your free time.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery

have you looked at these? propane coffee!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
If you're camping... why not just use freeze dried instant coffee? Add hot water and your good to go.
JetBoil and done.

I hate coffee, but I know people that'd gag on any freeze dried, just on principle. I don't camp with those people.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
You can always calculate the watts an appliance will use by multiplying the amps x volts.

I don't drink coffee but have camped and seen many different types. Try a french press or old fashioned percolator you heat over as stove.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
+1 here for the percolator- the coffe actually tastes better if done right
Old 05-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
"Not you, fat jesus"
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11A 1-184 IN
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
JetBoil and done.

I hate coffee, but I know people that'd gag on any freeze dried, just on principle. I don't camp with those people.
x2!

JETBOIL is one of the first things I pack when I go camping/backpacking. Even When I'm in the field with my unit haha. not sure how 'milspec' it is, but it works GREAT and Quickly. You can even buy a coffee press for it.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #16
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
If you're camping... why not just use freeze dried instant coffee? Add hot water and your good to go.
Uh, That is not coffee.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #17
O-------l
Del Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Del Scorcho's Tacoma Gallery
I just use an old Coleman white gas stove and a percolator. That thing can even make folgers taste good.

I thought about running a coffee maker off bed power, but I just didn't want my truck to sit and idle all that time.

While on the topic of plugging things in... I did find you can make a (many) pretty mean margarita with one of these.

How Big of a coffee pot can I power-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367751420.585866.jpg

The trick is not to concern others as you stumble over to your truck, keys in hand, and go fire it up... Honest occifer, I'm just making another! You want one??
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
Glamis's Tacoma Gallery
well after some testing with this coffee pot. I can make coffee. I get about 5mins of run time then the converter shuts down. This coffee pot must be right on the line for power draw. Now That I have a base line Ill go from here.
Attached Thumbnails
How Big of a coffee pot can I power-img_1085.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well after some testing with this coffee pot. I can make coffee. I get about 5mins of run time then the converter shuts down. This coffee pot must be right on the line for power draw. Now That I have a base line Ill go from here.
I have one like that it draws 1024 watts according to the label on the bottom. keep it up and you'll have a smoked converter. Boil water with gas then use a French press.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Your gonna be hard on your alternator and batt doing that...