Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange sound started a week ago...Help?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Strange sound started a week ago...Help?

So the best way to describe this sound is a "whomp, whomp, whomp" that starts slow at about 40 MPH, then gets fast and silences around 50-55 MPH. Then it comes back at 70 MPH. When I let off the gas the sound seems to go away. Drive shaft?? It is not the loudest noise, but on smooth roads you can really hear it. I have taken it to the dealer, they inspected the diffs, drive shaft, greased u-joints and told me all was fine. Tires have been balanced twice (Nitto Terra Grappler 285/65/18). No steering wheel vibrations, and the truck drives straight. More info, I am lifted full OME 885s, dakar springs on the rear, LR UCAs

This has really frustrated me, any input is appreciated.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Old 05-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Do you feel it? Where does the sound seem to be coming from?
Sounds like the front end, no real feeling just the sound. I think I am going to rotate the tires to see if that helps
Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Check tire balance first. Typically that's the root to any of those issues like that. If that doesn't fix it, alignment would be the next step.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Check tire balance first. Typically that's the root to any of those issues like that. If that doesn't fix it, alignment would be the next step.

Getting the alignment checked today hopefully, truck drives straight and tires have been balanced
Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbuell View Post
Wheel bearing maybe?
Can a wheel bearing go bad at 9k miles?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Skeeter Skeetin is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: AET/Flight Mechanic
Name: Greg
Skeeter Skeetin's Tacoma Gallery
Kick on your 4x4 and see if that makes it go away. Drivers side needle bearing. I know thats my problem after i leveled my '12. Except i have vibes in my pedals, so that may not be your problem.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadTaco View Post
Can a wheel bearing go bad at 9k miles?
It's not normal but anything can happen. I had an alternator die within 200 miles before. It's worth adding to your list of things to check just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
GFY

Quote:
It's not normal but anything can happen. I had an alternator die within 200 miles before. It's worth adding to your list of things to check just to be on the safe side.
Wheel bearings checked, they are fine.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
GFY

Quote:
Alignment is spot on:

Toe = Right-0 / Left-0

Camber = Right-0 / Left-0

Caster = Right-2.8 / Left-2.6

Good news is that the LR UCAs are holding the alignment perfect.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds like the front end, no real feeling just the sound. I think I am going to rotate the tires to see if that helps
Did you rotate your tires yet? Do your front tires look like the are cupping? If they are starting to cup, when your tire moves from short lugs to the taller lugs it will make noise.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Did you rotate your tires yet? Do your front tires look like the are cupping? If they are starting to cup, when your tire moves from short lugs to the taller lugs it will make noise.
I did rotate the tires about two weeks ago and this was the first time the tires have been rotated. I mentioned this to the tech he did say that it could take a few thousand miles for the tires that have been on the rear their whole life to quiet down/smooth out. Does this sound accurate?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did rotate the tires about two weeks ago and this was the first time the tires have been rotated. I mentioned this to the tech he did say that it could take a few thousand miles for the tires that have been on the rear their whole life to quiet down/smooth out. Does this sound accurate?
No, sounds like an excuse to get you to accept noisy tires.

I once had new tires that were fine until the first rotation, then the car constantly pulled to the right. One of the tires would make the car pull if it was put on the front. The tire dealer said it would get better as the tire wears in. Huh? Tires wear out, they don't wear in...
Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I was thinking the opposite. If you have had them on the front for a while they might begin to wear funny and get noisy. Once you put them to the rear it will take some time for them to smooth out. About the time they regain their roundness, the tires that are now on the front will begin to get funny wear patterns. They usually get wear patterns for a reason though, eg: ball joints, alignment out of spec, tens of thousands of miles with no rotate.
It could be an out of round tire though. I had a bfg km2 that was out of round from the get go. On the rear I never noticed it, on the front it seemed like it would never balance and was noisy. The only reason I found it was after a few trips to the tire shop they suspected something else. The only way to see that it was out of round was to put it on the balance machine, spin it and watch the tire from inline with it, if that makes sense. When it is spinning you will see the out of round section jump a little bit.
Hope you find it.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
GFY

Well, I will give them a few thousand miles and see if it changes. The tires only have around 7k miles on them, and this noise has been the only issue. No steering wheel shake or other issues.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Well, I will give them a few thousand miles and see if it changes. The tires only have around 7k miles on them, and this noise has been the only issue. No steering wheel shake or other issues.
I get so frustrated by crap like this. Hope you get it figured out. I would at least put your tires back to where they were before the noise, so you could rule them out.
Good luck!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
GFY

Yeah, it does get frustrating. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #20
GFY

Rotated the tires, still no change. Hoping a few thousand miles will change things..??