Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM roof rack, how far back does it sit

Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Tiny Member
andyt11 is on a distinguished road
andyt11's Tacoma Gallery
OEM roof rack, how far back does it sit

About to pull the trigger on a 2013 crew cab short box, and need to decide if I want the OEM roof rack. Principle use would be so I can throw an extension ladder on the tail gate at the back and on the rear bar of the roof rack at the front.

The question becomes, does the rear bar of the OEM rack sit far enough back on the roof to be the first things the ladder hits. The dealer has no vehicles on the lot with a rack installed so I cant go and look at any. Anyone got any photos of hauling lumber or ladders or anything else 12' long on the gate and on the rack ?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
fafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
fafafahey's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to fafafahey
I don't have a photo of hauling lumber or ladders, but I snapped a pic of the rack open and how far back it sits. Looks to me like it would surely scrape the top of the cab.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
fafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shedfafafahey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
fafafahey's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to fafafahey
Just measured it too....from the back edge of the rail to the back of the cab is about 8".
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Tiny Member
andyt11 is on a distinguished road
andyt11's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for that. I thought that could be the case. I think I'll skip it and maybe just order up a back rack or a different type of roof rack.