1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions about 2012 18" Chrome Wheels

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chefnobody, May 3, 2013.

1. May 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    chefnobody

chefnobody [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Denver, CO
    I'm looking at a truck that has these on it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ce/269323-2013-limited-wheels-sale-trade.html

I do not prefer these wheels because of their size and chrome-y-ness.

Questions:

1. Is this a solid wheel with a chrome polish exterior? I've heard tell that they're not solid chrome but rather chrome-capped with aluminum as a base. The post above mentions that they could be some sort of cover on the wheel. Can anyone confirm for me what they're made of exactly and how they're constructed.

2. Can this chrome exterior be removed? I've heard that you can use a chemical strip to get rid of the chrome, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!

2. May 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    tpr676

tpr676 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's a cladded wheel, I'm sure it can come off I hate them.

3. Jul 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    MaineTaco79

MaineTaco79 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB Tacoma Limited
    You have probably figured this out by now.... But the wheels are covered with a plastic "chrome" cover. They are attached by a very strong 3M type adhesive.

Not being a fan of the "chrome-y-ness" or the Cheese-y-ness I removed them, not without the assistance of my gorilla-like best friend/mechanic, scraped all the remaining adhesive off, sanded them down completely and sprayed them a mat black. The only draw back is that with the plastic removed the center caps no longer fit. I say it is a small price to pay for much better looks!!
    I have attached before and after shots. Sorry, the light wasn't very good on the full truck after shot, it's kinda hard to see the wheels. I hope you will agree, it was totally worth the time and effort involved!!

IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top