1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch vs Rear Locker for PreRunner

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacosteven, May 4, 2013.

1. May 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    tacosteven

tacosteven [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    Del Rio
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but searching just turned up a million build threads. But here goes:

So I am looking into a small upgrade to my PreRunner SR5, I am stock as of right now... looking for a good price on some 5100s and I will level off once I find some. But my main question is:
    Should I splurge on an ARB air locker? or should I just get a winch?

I am thinking getting a winch first, although what I have read people say a PreRunner with rear locker is very capable... My logic is: Rear Locker and get stuck... need someone to pull me out. Winch without rear locker and get stuck... can potentially pull myself out (I won't go anywhere without someone with 4x4 either way). Is my logic flawed? I would much rather be able to assist myself up terrain with a winch than to get further with a locker and then still need a winch.

Some input from experience will help me judge what I should do, Thanks!

2. May 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    I'd say do the locker first if your gunna go wheeling with a 4x4 truck then he can always pull you out and then later get a winch

3. May 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    with a two wheel off road, having a winch would be a VERY good thing...I find the locker, which I have on my Prerunner, helps, but if you really need traction, nothing like a 4 wheel drive...

it will add some weight, so at least 5100's to re-level the front end....if you plan on keeping the stock bumper, you can do it....then there is the option to get a complete new front bumper with the winch stand incorporated, they call it Taco fever...:eek:

4. May 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    Normantaco

Normantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 4Runner SR5
    Id lean towards winch first. Locker can get you free sometimes. Winch can get you free sometimes, can get others free, also useful in other situations. Both have their merits, I feel a winch is useful in more situations. I had both on my 03 4x4 and used the winch much more often than the locker.

5. May 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    TexasPreRunner

TexasPreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Antonio/Houston,TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    I see your location is in Del Rio, i go out to bracketville alot and the terrains seem to be rather comparable. i would say get the locker for the area, iv made it around most places without a winch or a locker, but at times i would have been nice to have an extra wheel grabbing rocks.

6. May 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Wheeling a 2wd is your first mistake. The people you've "read" saying locked 2wd are capable are people with 2wd vehicles. And they are liars. Or ignorant.

That said, if you must, bring a winch. And understand: I'm not hating on 2wd. They just don't possess offroad capability.

7. May 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

basically, what he said...

8. May 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Once you start adding rocks and steep hill climbs a PRERUNNER can only go so far. I've wheeled my truck to the point were I see something and if I know I can do it ill atempt it.

9. May 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    winch

-coming from a locked prerunner who knows the capabilities and doesnt see a need to BS anyone about them.
    Theres no replacement for 4wd, but Ive seen 4wd get stuck, and when SHTF, guess what the bottom line is?

They both either get a tow out, or they both pull out the winch line

10. May 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Locker is great in flat mud man and pretty fun drifting and doughnuting around. That being said u may not get stuck with a locker, but if u have a long enough winch, you'll never be stuck. I don't have a winch and prolly wouldn't trade it for my locker but if I had neither id prolly... I dunno man just get both sorry, maybe locker now ha u do get on board air with that arb right. You'll have more fun with the locker and if u got someone to pull u out just incade I now stand firm with locker, for now.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  11. May 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    tacosteven

tacosteven [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    Del Rio
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner
    thanks for the input everyone.
    I will probably go with the winch, that way I can remove it and put it on a 4x4 when I buy it. No sense in throwing a locker on, when I know in the future I will get a 4x4.

12. May 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    honesty FTMFW :thumbsup:

13. May 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Youkon Grizzley locker, and a Recon waterproof 10,500lb winch. Together cheaper then a single ARB air locker. :)

14. May 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

As the saying goes, "4x4 just gets you stuck farther from help".

Products Discussed in

To Top