Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HOW TO: Changing Tail Lights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
I AM THE GREAT CHACHOLIO!!!
TheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
TheTacoManChach's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb HOW TO: Changing Tail Lights

I figured I would add my two cents in on the piggy bank we call TW.

Here is my Step by Step on how to change your tail lights.

First you will need.

A socket wrench(or regular combo wrench) with a 10mm socket.

Now that you have your tools you have to remove the old tail light obviously, which is held in by 2 clips and 2 bolts.
First put your tail gate down.
One bolt is on top.
And one on bottom.

Remove the bolts in whichever order you would like.

Then give a firm(incredibly firm) pull on the tail light.
Here is what you will then see.

Now you must disconnect the old wiring harness. Just push on the little tab and pull it out.

Their you go...

Now do what you want with the old tail light.

Get your new tail lights!

Now plug the new wiring harness into the old wiring harness and push it togethor until you hear the little tab click.

Now my tail lights had alot of extra wire so if you have some like that make sure you tuck all wires back into the compartment where they wont be in the way of anything.

Once you do that push the tail light into place with a firm shove.
Replace the 2 bolts.
And your done!

Repeat on other side for best results.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
tntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud oftntacoma has much to be proud of

Army: rangers all the way
tntacoma's Tacoma Gallery
where did you get those lights?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
almost looks like the 09 tail lights.. looks good though.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
TheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud of

www.Wooddashexperts.com
Theyre also on ebay for about 50 bucks less...
Old 02-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
nice write up.thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
Enjoying my Tacoma
BillCarl is on a distinguished road
BillCarl's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

Thanks for the how-to. I just broke a tail light and was wondering how to replace it. Now I need to decide if I want to go with those great looking Euro style tail lights or try to pick up an original replacement on eBay for a reasonable price.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
Desert Sand FTW!! Good write up!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #8
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up. great pics!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #9
mkeeagle is on a distinguished road
Navy: IC3
mkeeagle's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up and thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
Enjoying my Tacoma
BillCarl is on a distinguished road
BillCarl's Tacoma Gallery
Just compared all the Altezza/Euro tail lights I could find. After seeing your photos, I couldn't envision buying anything much different from yours, so I ordered a set of the JDM BLACK LED ALTEZZA TAIL LIGHTS. Thanks again for the write-up and photos.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
BAJAJAC is on a distinguished road
BAJAJAC's Tacoma Gallery
A tad more info please

[Just compared all the Altezza/Euro tail lights I could find. After seeing your photos, I couldn't envision buying anything much different from yours, so I ordered a set of the JDM BLACK LED ALTEZZA TAIL LIGHTS. Thanks again for the write-up and photos. ]

If you can, Price, Mod. # thanks...BajaJac
Old 02-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #13

thats them
Old 02-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
BAJAJAC is on a distinguished road
BAJAJAC's Tacoma Gallery
I will keep this link. Because yesterday I ordered a custom shell so the $$ will have to be on hold for the lights. [tax time]! I think they are VERY sharp and will deff. order them
Thanks a lot!
This forum has turned out to be one of the most valuable sites for all our TACO needs and friends!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
IB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura about
IB Slingin's Tacoma Gallery
Any pics from the side?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #16

tomorrow ill post pics of the side
Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
ilovemytaco is on a distinguished road
ilovemytaco's Tacoma Gallery
niceeee! i wanted to tint mine but i was wondering how to get them out...thanx!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
IB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura aboutIB Slingin has a spectacular aura about
IB Slingin's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!! Those are nice! How do they look at night? Are they bright?
Old 02-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Slingin View Post
Thanks!! Those are nice! How do they look at night? Are they bright?
They look awesome, way brighter than factory...
The backup lights r WAAAAY brighter

Products Discussed in this Thread