Notices

3" lift "poll"

View Poll Results: which lift?
3" lift kit with Bilstein 5100 Height Adj. Coilovers 73 35.96%
Ultimate lift kit for 2005 & UP Tacoma 27 13.30%
ICON stage 1 Tacoma suspension 103 50.74%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #21
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, but the above kits he asked about are also with AAL or blocks.

Comparing apples to apples, OME is the cheapest.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #22
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
I agree, but the above kits he asked about are also with AAL or blocks.

Comparing apples to apples, OME is the cheapest.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Shoot me a PM and i can get you Icon pricing. Do it right the first time. Don't spend $$ twice.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #24
Fivespeed is on a distinguished road
Navy: EN2
Fivespeed's Tacoma Gallery
Is the general consensus here that an OME lift with dakars>Icon Stage 1?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #25
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivespeed View Post
Is the general consensus here that an OME lift with dakars>Icon Stage 1?
Generally speaking yes, because not everyone hits whoops, and OME is built like a tank where as you will find plenty of threads regarding broken top hats with ICON.

Edit: You should expect to break something while off roading so no suspension product is perfect, they all have their flaws but I have run bilstein, OME and kings front to back.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #26
Fivespeed is on a distinguished road
Navy: EN2
Fivespeed's Tacoma Gallery
Appreciate the quick reply. Looking for a good entry level setup in the price range that the OP is in. I won't be doing any hardcore offroading.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #27
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Appreciate the quick reply. Looking for a good entry level setup in the price range that the OP is in. I won't be doing any hardcore offroading.
No complaints with OME, just make sure you pick a good coil to compliment your truck. I'd also recommend the OME shocks to go with the coils, they are a good match.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Many members on here will tell you that you don't plan on it but eventually it gets you. I know a ton a members that bought 5100s or OME and later decided they wanted to wheel harder and bought mid travel. Not saying don't buy OME just think and research before you buy and it could save you lots of money
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #29
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Generally speaking yes, because not everyone hits whoops, and OME is built like a tank where as you will find plenty of threads regarding broken top hats with ICON.

Edit: You should expect to break something while off roading so no suspension product is perfect, they all have their flaws but I have run bilstein, OME and kings front to back.
Most of the broken top hats were a combination of 2 things.

-Too much preload making the coil bind and the old top hat design. The preload is the killer though.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
Most of the broken top hats were a combination of 2 things.

-Too much preload making the coil bind and the old top hat design. The preload is the killer though.
Wasn't aware they changed the top hat design, good info.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #31
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
Shoot me a PM and i can get you Icon pricing. Do it right the first time. Don't spend $$ twice.
Doing it right with Icon, why is that??? He wants lift and that requires preload on the Icons which equals a crappy ride (IMO). Also does he plan on hitting whoops? Doing it right is understanding ones intentions and setting that person up with a suspension thatís going to suit his needs well NOT just trying to make a sell

Op you consider lift spindles since you are a prerunner. You'll maintain your factory ride using your stock coils and shocks and all you have to worry about is the rear.

For those with 2wd to me it makes absolutely no sense to preload to get lift. Sure COs can be valved to somewhat correct stiffness upon preloading, but spring rate and the fact that the 2wd weighs less make it hard to maintain a decent ride regardless of valving. Also to valve COs to accommodate for stiffness takes the purpose of them (hitting pumps at speed) away and simply turns them into something thatís pretty to look. And should you decide to actually hit something at speed, be prepared to slam those stiff rubber bumps with your baby soft valving.

Op explore your options well, there are a lot out there.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
old man emu
great ride... pretty damn tough.
$1800 for mine installed (full kit) at the dealer with 2 alignments.. one right away, and a 2nd a month later when things settled.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #34
Cuz Stock Sucks!

It's honestly not even worth a reply on that because there are so many truck out there running C/O's that never see the dirt because they wanted a better ride. We have a bunch of customers who rave about the added stability the C/O's provide in corners and to work and back.

Your right, a lift spindle is a great idea, but if he is wanting a better ride, that wont do anything for it. Pair it with a 5100 with the stock coil (cause they are valved and set up to be used with stock, not OME's or any A/M coil) or pair it with a Icon or Fox spun up to have 0" lift. Your gonna get a progressive rate coil and a much better dampening shock.

For the record I was not trying to make a "sale" He can buy from where ever he likes, I'm here to give him a discount and answer any questions for me if he has any. Or anyone for that matter. We have done and installed pretty much everything under the sun. We don't sell or stock spacers cause the make the ride worse. We take a lot of crap for that, but it's ok, we know what works, and what rides the best on and off road.

Cheers.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota4Whelz View Post
Your right there are a lot of choices that's why its so hard for me to decide...I want a nice 3 inch lift that will provide and nice smooth rideand be able to handle the occasional off road trip not anything hardcore so mostly for looks and a smooth ride
What I would go with based on your description of use...

Front:
- Lift spindles (know you said 3", but whats an extra 0.5-1" lift
- Front adjustable Bilstien 5100s set to ZERO

Rear:
- 3 leaf AAL maintaining the overload (better towing capacity) or 3 leaf AAL coupled with a 1" block (1" block is fine and you can ditch the overload giving you a good ride but minimizing load carrying capability)
- RCD/Bilstien 5100s (perhaps mod the bumps to ensure you are hitting them because these shocks are long)

Not a whole ton of money out and ride quality will be good.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #36
Drobinator is on a distinguished road
Name: Dmitry
Drobinator's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys got a 2010 DBLCAB LB,V6
Now got a Leer 180CC Cap
thinking of: the ultimate lift kit and from what i see those are the best options (that come at a price) but it is hard to understand how the ride will be afterwards, which options (like the UCA) are necessary for it all to work properly. My only beef right now that the ride on stock is a little bit wobbly want something smoother and more consistent, always wanted to do mild offroading (once blew a muffler off a 1989 civic Wagon) but now finally got a truck... do you guys have any feed back on how different this feels/works?

Ultimate lift kit for 2005 & UP Tacoma
Rear Shock options: Bilstein 5160 Remote Reservoir (+ $190.00) >>> Tooo bad doesn't come for the front as well...
Diff drop kit: With_Diff_drop_kit_(4X4)
Rear lift options: Rear OME CS047R Dakar Leaf springs (+ $439.00)
Light Racing Upper control arms: Add 25470 upper control arms (+ $399.00)

Thanks for the info! PS TW rocks!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drobinator View Post
Ultimate lift kit for 2005 & UP Tacoma
Rear Shock options: Bilstein 5160 Remote Reservoir (+ $190.00) >>> Tooo bad doesn't come for the front as well...
Diff drop kit: With_Diff_drop_kit_(4X4)
Rear lift options: Rear OME CS047R Dakar Leaf springs (+ $439.00)
Light Racing Upper control arms: Add 25470 upper control arms (+ $399.00)
Mid travel is nice if you want RR on coilovers and shocks.
Dakars will be nice with the cap
No need for the diff drop
and buy you LR UCAs here
http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/lig...ta-tacoma.html
They may be cheap
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #38
Drobinator is on a distinguished road
Name: Dmitry
Drobinator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
"Mid travel is nice if you want RR on coilovers and shocks."
what are RR and is this kit considered mid travel or are you talking about something else
Quote:
"Dakars will be nice with the cap"
what do you mean? i read it helps to increase weight rating on the rear... but how much really? - the cap itself probably about 100lb..
Quote:
"No need for the diff drop"
are you sure? what will they do or not do in this specific setup?

Any one has any feedback on how does the suspension feels with the 5100 and 5160?
why not 5160 for the front, i heard its really good but none for the front on tacomas but yes on others (jeep JK)
I'm also not sure what the stock "billy" suspension is any body knows the spec?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drobinator View Post
what are RR and is this kit considered mid travel or are you talking about something else
Remote Reservoir. and no I'm talking about something else. Mid travel is for guys that want to hit whoops at a little bit of speed
what do you mean? i read it helps to increase weight rating on the rear... but how much really? - the cap itself probably about 100lb..
It will be able to handle the weight of the cap and load with ease
are you sure? what will they do or not do in this specific setup?
Positive. You dont need them on a second gen. Just a waste of money
Any one has any feedback on how does the suspension feels with the 5100 and 5160?
why not 5160 for the front, i heard its really good but none for the front on tacomas but yes on others (jeep JK)
I'm also not sure what the stock "billy" suspension is any body knows the spec?
I have no experience with 5100s but I believe 5160s are shocks not coilovers.
Thanks
Answers in red
Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #40
"We have assumed control"
beachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matti
beachingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
SUB'D